• The KillerFrogs

OT: Smoker Recommendation

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Please elaborate.
Green Mesquite will essentially permeate your smoker and make everything taste like Green Mesquite for ever and ever, amen.

I will not cook with Green Mesquite. If I do use Mesquite, it is well aged. At least a year of drying out. By doing this, you still get a nice flavor but not the overpowering blast of the Green stuff.

Horny4TCU

Green Mesquite will essentially permeate your smoker and make everything taste like Green Mesquite for ever and ever, amen.

I will not cook with Green Mesquite. If I do use Mesquite, it is well aged. At least a year of drying out. By doing this, you still get a nice flavor but not the overpowering blast of the Green stuff.
Willie prefers the green stuff.

willie-nelson-weed.jpg

CardFrog

I too use a pellet smoker and they are very easy to use. Have a weber smoky mountain and it is good as well but requires more attention. The pellet grill keeps with 10* of your target temperature as long as it has a fuel source. Go to smoking-meat.com (not a joke) and the guy Jeff Phillips has a website with recipes and reviews of smokers etc. Sign up for his newsletter and he will send you a weekly recipe with step by step directions including photos so its very easy to follow. His website has many archived recipes as well.

Horny4TCU

I too use a pellet smoker and they are very easy to use. Have a weber smoky mountain and it is good as well but requires more attention. The pellet grill keeps with 10* of your target temperature as long as it has a fuel source. Go to smoking-meat.com (not a joke) and the guy Jeff Phillips has a website with recipes and reviews of smokers etc. Sign up for his newsletter and he will send you a weekly recipe with step by step directions including photos so its very easy to follow. His website has many archived recipes as well.
What pellets do you use? Every time I have used pellets, it left a sappy/pine flavor.

Dogfrog

A little off topic, but I am more griller than smoker, just don’t have the patience. But years ago after going through multiple grills that rusted or fell apart, I bought a cast aluminum PK grill. Long after Armageddon the PK shell will be the only item left on earth when aliens land. Good little grill with some smoking capability but kind of ugly - it was designed in the 50’s.

Then went to a stainless steel Cajun Grill. (Super Cajun). Expensive but the unique v shape makes efficient use of wood / charcoal and cooking space. When I moved from Houston I sold it to a neighbor.

Also had a friend in Houston who had a big stainless Pitts & Spitts smoker. Made locally in Houston these are high end and impressive

Last edited:

CardFrog

What pellets do you use? Every time I have used pellets, it left a sappy/pine flavor.
I have a smoking brother pellet grill (essentially a Traeger) but they are a local company so I bought form them, I have used Traeger pellets and Smokin Brothers pellets. I keep them in a plastic tub well sealed, if they get wet its no bueno. I use cherry quite a bit and hickory and apple. Mix and match works well also.

CardFrog

I have a smoking brother pellet grill (essentially a Traeger) but they are a local company so I bought form them, I have used Traeger pellets and Smokin Brothers pellets. I keep them in a plastic tub well sealed, if they get wet its no bueno. I use cherry quite a bit and hickory and apple. Mix and match works well also.
if the pellets are in a humid environment they will absorb water/moisture and even a little will scheiss them up.

Frog-in-law1995

I never had an issue with taste, but really hated the smell of the pellets I used for a while. After several experiments, I settled in on Green Mountain Grills premium fruitwood (peach/pecan) pellets. They sell them at Barbecues Galore over by the Lowe’s near Bryant Irvin/20.

Frog-in-law1995

A little off topic, but I am more griller than smoker, just don’t have the patience. But years ago after going through multiple grills that rusted or fell apart, I bought a cast aluminum PK grill. Long after Armageddon the PK shell will be the only item left on earth when aliens land. Good little grill with some smoking capability but kind of ugly - it was designed in the 50’s.

Then went to a stainless steel Cajun Grill. (Super Cajun). Expensive but the unique v shape makes efficient use of wood / charcoal and cooking space. When I moved from Houston I sold it to a neighbor.

Also had a friend in Houston who had a big stainless Pitts & Spitts smoker. Made locally in Houston these are high end and impressive

PKs are 90% of the grills you see at SCA (steak) competitions. I’m just easing my way into those with my weber kettle (the other 10%). They look strange but the results don’t lie.

Dogfrog

PKs are 90% of the grills you see at SCA (steak) competitions. I’m just easing my way into those with my weber kettle (the other 10%). They look strange but the results don’t lie.

Didn’t know that but not surprised. The shell is very thick cast aluminum and the shape tends to radiate heat very consistently inside so more oven effect than other grills. Also decent venting capability for a small grill.