• The KillerFrogs

OT: Shotguns

tcumaniac

Looking to purchase a new semi auto shotgun.

Will use primarily for clay shooting and dove/quail hunting.

I want a wood stock, but not positive what make or model I want yet. So far I'm considering the:
Beretta A400 Upland
Beretta A400 Xplor Action
Browning Maxus
Browning A5
Remington 1100

Willing to pay a little more for a gun that I'll be happy with for a lifetime.

Curious to hear the board's opinions and recommendations.

Thanks

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
youll-shoot-your-eye-out-christmas-story.gif

Frog-in-law1995

Looking to purchase a new semi auto shotgun.

Will use primarily for clay shooting and dove/quail hunting.

I want a wood stock, but not positive what make or model I want yet. So far I'm considering the:
Beretta A400 Upland
Beretta A400 Xplor Action
Browning Maxus
Browning A5
Remington 1100

Willing to pay a little more for a gun that I'll be happy with for a lifetime.

Curious to hear the board's opinions and recommendations.

Thanks

Beretta A400 or Benelli M2 or ultra light.

flyfishingfrog

Learn to shoot s double gun from day 1 - you will appreciate it then your entire life

But if you have to wimp out the A400 upland is a gun you will appreciate for ever

The Maxus and new A5 design are nothing special

The 1100 has never been quite right for Remington and it’s still to heavy for a field gun

Horny4TCU

Can't speak for new 1100s, but my grandfather had one and passed it down to my dad. I have gone shooting with it dozen times, never jammed, and always reliable. Great gun.

Ray Finkle

The 1100 is also known as the Remington 550--it only works half the time.

For what you are wanting, I'd get a Beretta O/U. Automatics will make you a horrible shot because you are more focused at pulling the trigger than making the shot. When I initially got mine, my shooting went to crap. Voice of experience.

I love my Benelli SBE I that was about 1 month's pay back in high school. I've killed a lot of stuff with it. A lot. Autos have their place--waterfowling.

When it comes to clays, dove, and most upland, a gentleman's gun (O/U) is the way to go.

If you are really interested, I can help you find a quality used one. There are a lot of hunting message boards out there that members sell gear, guns, etc. Yes, Hillary, we buy guns over the internet. All you will need to do is get a background check from an FFL dealer that will receive the shipment if the sale isn't face-to-face from a Texas resident. I've bought a lot of guns online and never had an issue. I prefer postal money orders for payment.

A guy I worked with is in the process of selling 5-6 shotguns. If you are patient, I can get you a list.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Frog-in-law1995

O/Us are great for the range...that’s what I use. But I have no desire to carry two barrels in the field all day anymore. Plus, 5 shots are better than 2.

4th. down

If you are set on an auto, Beretta A400 upland with 28" barrel. Stick with the Beretta Ext. Chokes as they are more than adequate and no need for after market chokes.

Good in the field and good on sporting clays - you won't be disappointed.

Billy Clyde

Winchester 101 pigeon grade O/U. A bit pricey but a lifetime source of pride. Citori a pretty close second place. One bit about a O/U is the ease of packing since you can break them in half and a hard case is only about 31 or 32" long. Sometimes a long gun can be a pain in the butt to pack/disguise.
As a prior poster said, >2 shots while dove hunting is wasted lead. The only reason to need 2 is for shooting pairs. If you don't hit with your first shot, your percentages drop insanely on a second shot, and #3 (which is your limit with the required plug for an auto) is a near-guaranteed miss.
Shooting skeet/trap/sporting clays, O/U is almost exclusively what you'll see the regulars use.

Horny4TCU

The 1100 is also known as the Remington 550--it only works half the time.

For what you are wanting, I'd get a Beretta O/U. Automatics will make you a horrible shot because you are more focused at pulling the trigger than making the shot. When I initially got mine, my shooting went to crap. Voice of experience.

I love my Benelli SBE I that was about 1 month's pay back in high school. I've killed a lot of stuff with it. A lot. Autos have their place--waterfowling.

When it comes to clays, dove, and most upland, a gentleman's gun (O/U) is the way to go.

If you are really interested, I can help you find a quality used one. There are a lot of hunting message boards out there that members sell gear, guns, etc. Yes, Hillary, we buy guns over the internet. All you will need to do is get a background check from an FFL dealer that will receive the shipment if the sale isn't face-to-face from a Texas resident. I've bought a lot of guns online and never had an issue. I prefer postal money orders for payment.

A guy I worked with is in the process of selling 5-6 shotguns. If you are patient, I can get you a list.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
If Maniac isn't interested. I am!