• The KillerFrogs

OT - Second Job Ideas

NYC Horned Frog

So, I have recently listened to and been inspired by Dave Ramsey. I am looking for a second job to supplement my household income. Any thoughts or recommendations?

And sadly, my wife won't let me be a gigolo...

Instagram influencer. You might not actually make anything, but I hear the travel is amazing. How do you look in a bikini?

I like to think I do my job well... annual appraisal was exceeds expectations. Only problem is the amount of debt I have outweighs my income. That's on me and my desire to get a masters... I just need something for a year to get debt free.
Stupid question, but do you have enough equity to do a cash out refinance and pay all of your debt off?

I like to think I do my job well... annual appraisal was exceeds expectations. Only problem is the amount of debt I have outweighs my income. That's on me and my desire to get a masters... I just need something for a year to get debt free.
If a supplemental job will get you debt free in a year then you are in good shape and should just focus on paying down more and living life. If you can't pay down more, you're still in incredible shape compared to 95% of what I assume is your age bracket.

That's the problem with the Dave Ramsey's of the world (leading people to overreact and make decisions which aren't necessarily sound). Debt is not bad. Sounds like yours is more than manageable.

don

So, I have recently listened to and been inspired by Dave Ramsey. I am looking for a second job to supplement my household income. Any thoughts or recommendations?

And sadly, my wife won't let me be a gigolo...

Do you have any hobbies that might pay? I did some freelance sports writing and photography has n the past. Census bureau was hiring, not sure now or if it’s stopped with Coronavirus. People are always looking for a handyman on next door for projects. Likewise minor car repairs. Landscaping etc.

Billy Clyde

Maybe a dumb question, but have you asked for a raise? Assuming you trust your boss, I'd consider making them aware you are considering taking on a 2nd job to clear your debt and see if they wouldn't rather have you take on more load at your current job and pay you more.
It's a risk, depending on how good that relationship is, but by doing that you'd show them you are invested. If it works out that seems like a much better long-term solution because you wouldn't be getting that added money just for a year or whatever.

Pharm Frog

Ok...here’s an idea (and not a good one IMO)

About 15 years ago I was stunned to learn what umpires were being paid for youth baseball games. Stunned. Even for coach-pitch level which is tantamount to counting. I assume a person in purchasing is good at counting.

I recently learned what my son is being paid for being a fourth coach for a 12u select baseball team...stunned again. And even for each practice he attends.

Now I’m not saying “never” but I’d have to be really desperate to put myself in either of those positions given the state of youth athletics with vicariously-living parents but it ain’t bad cash.

Job is stable, but not enough equity to pay off all my debts. $90k (student loans, credit card, auto) in debt sucks when you look at how much you pay each month in payments. I just need the job to jump start the debt snowball.
Ah there's the bogey.

A secondary job that would pay off $90,000 inside of a year (which I took away from your previous post) is... unrealistic. Manage your expectations as such.

Use your trade to do outside consulting/one-offs as I mentioned earlier. You can do that late at night, the mornings and the weekends. Plenty of companies are in need of part-time engagements with lenient delivery deadlines. That's your source of secondary income.

Pharm Frog

Job is stable, but not enough equity to pay off all my debts. $90k (student loans, credit card, auto) in debt sucks when you look at how much you pay each month in payments. I just need the job to jump start the debt snowball.

$90K of debt and none of it in a mortgage? I actually have a tough time imagining the monthly obligations BUT kudos to you for attacking it and not just ignoring it or increasing it.

BABYFACE

Do Uber/ride share. Only work when you want to, when you have the free time ferry people around. Not glamorous, but easy to knock down a nice chunk of change for 2-3 hours of work at peak times.

I know a head FB coach at the HS level that does this in off season because he gets bored and also because his wife is expensive.

frogs9497

Ok...here’s an idea (and not a good one IMO)

About 15 years ago I was stunned to learn what umpires were being paid for youth baseball games. Stunned. Even for coach-pitch level which is tantamount to counting. I assume a person in purchasing is good at counting.

I recently learned what my son is being paid for being a fourth coach for a 12u select baseball team...stunned again. And even for each practice he attends.

Now I’m not saying “never” but I’d have to be really desperate to put myself in either of those positions given the state of youth athletics with vicariously-living parents but it ain’t bad cash.

I umpired for a year right after graduation several years ago. Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Such a beat down that I’d never suggest it to anyone. Parents were terrible, even at the T-ball level. I even had to eject the president of the Optimist Club during his daughter’s softball game. I could go on and on, but too little time to post the stories here.

Pharm Frog

Maybe a dumb question, but have you asked for a raise? Assuming you trust your boss, I'd consider making them aware you are considering taking on a 2nd job to clear your debt and see if they wouldn't rather have you take on more load at your current job and pay you more.
It's a risk, depending on how good that relationship is, but by doing that you'd show them you are invested. If it works out that seems like a much better long-term solution because you wouldn't be getting that added money just for a year or whatever.
I like this idea not only if you have a trusted and good relationship with your boss but a very solid understanding of the broader culture of your company. Sometimes it’s not just your immediate supervisor that will have an opinion on a request for a raise with a possible second job scenario.