• The KillerFrogs

OT: Pocket knives

FrogAbroad

I've seen some ads for some beautiful pocket knives made by deejo, a German company. They look great but it's a brand with which I'm unfamiliar. Any Frogs know about this outfit or their products?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Never heard of them. I have had a wonderful Puma knife, but that's about it.

I have found some excellent knives made by semi-local craftsmen at my local Feed Store, along with the regular offerings by Case, Schrade, etc. Lots of good stuff out there now!

Brog

I have this great Swiss Army Knife that has a zillion blades and tools enclosed, willl do absolutely anything, but unfortunately it weighs a ton and is too heavy to carry around.

froginaustin

I used to carry a pocket knife, but haven't in years. A very small one.
There are too many locations-- that I used to frequent before covid-- that just absolutely crap their pants if one tries to walk through their metal detector with a 2-inch pen knife. I decided that carrying even a little tiny knife on a day-to-day basis wasn't worth the grief.

Endless Purple

I looked at one at REI. They were nice looking, and I liked the slim format. I did not get one because it did not seem to have any slip protection for my fingers. While not often an issue, it only takes one time.

I have a Benchmade for daily use now.

WhatTheFrog

I'd imagine they are quality enough with a minimalist design. They seem more like something to look at than something to carry daily. The only way I'd picture myself owning one is if it was gifted to me and I don't think it would get used much. It appears that the designs on the blades are delicate according to the description of the sharpener they sell.

This from a Leatherman Wave+ carrier.

Jet Set Frog

I'm a fan of the CRKT knives, as I've found them to be really good quality for the price. I have a slim one that's held an edge quite well, and also one with a VERY aggressive serrated edge that I've put through the ringer and it's held up well. The latter has a combination liner and rocker lock to make it exceptionally safe. It'll cut the wrapping loose on a six foot hay bale in nearly one swipe.

Pharm Frog

A friend at church gave me a Timber Rattler "pocket" knife last year. Most ridiculous yet fabulous knife I have. Keep it on my desk and it's always good for a comment or two when it appears on a Zoom call.

BrewingFrog

A friend at church gave me a Timber Rattler "pocket" knife last year. Most ridiculous yet fabulous knife I have. Keep it on my desk and it's always good for a comment or two when it appears on a Zoom call.
Hmmm...

(Mounting large swords and fighting knives on wall behind camera...)

Pharm Frog

Hmmm...

(Mounting large swords and fighting knives on wall behind camera...)

Technically the Timber Rattler just sits on the desk (not mounted on wall) but it still pales in comparison to my Kel-Tec KSG that has made a few appearances in the background. Probably half the people who've seen it have thought it was a Nerf gun. OT but there has been some crazy stuff in Zoom and Facetime backgrounds during this "work from home" phase. And I'm not really sure what the Timber Rattler is for. Novelty I suppose. Too dangerous for a letter opener.

BrewingFrog

Technically the Timber Rattler just sits on the desk (not mounted on wall) but it still pales in comparison to my Kel-Tec KSG that has made a few appearances in the background. Probably half the people who've seen it have thought it was a Nerf gun. OT but there has been some crazy stuff in Zoom and Facetime backgrounds during this "work from home" phase. And I'm not really sure what the Timber Rattler is for. Novelty I suppose. Too dangerous for a letter opener.
It's funny: My dog's chair (It was mine, now it isn't) and the To Be Read pile of books sits in my background, along with bookshelves and the various oddities sitting on them. All quite normal, save for the amount of TCU memorabilia. Most the weaponry is in another room, and not on display. But, the blades would look nice up there. Wouldn't be metaphorical at all...

The KSG looks most intimidating, to be sure! My little DDM PDW would look like a toy up next to it...

FrogAbroad

Old Timer is an excellent brand. As you say, "...ain't fancy..." but their knives are made to work well and hard for a long, long time.

("Liked" for the cat pic)