• The KillerFrogs

OT: Oklahoma's Gundy resigns after using offensive language

I understand your point, but you screwed it up by saying “blacks.” Twice. They are black people, if you must, but they are not “blacks” or “the blacks.”

At any rate, I do feel like no one should be saying it. At least intentionally. But I think saying it with no malice should not result in “cancelation.”
He could have used another word. Or said " you people"

Long Time Lurker

I think you might be right. In the 90s I was just a little kid, but I LOVED MLB. Ryan Sandburg and Mark Grace and Daryll Strawberry were my heroes, but when that strike happened, it killed my love of the game. I barely watch baseball anymore, but I am slowly coming back.

I fear that will happen to college football.
I was just having this conversation at lunch today. I watched facing Nolan last night and it made reminiscent about the days when the Rangers were good. The strike killed my interest pro baseball even though I played competitively in to my early 20s.

LisaLT

You’re right, the rule is super simple.

I don’t fully buy Gundy’s “I didn’t know what I was saying” BUT like you said the penalty here is extreme if what Gundy said is the full truth. So it seems there must be more to the story here — perhaps he and Venables weren’t clicking and this was used by one or the other as an out, perhaps there were other things said or done and the official OU write up is trying to gloss over the those (would be very on brand given recent history). Who knows. But this doesn’t add upon- and that’s pretty normal.
I agree with you. There MUST be more to the story.

tcufrogprince1

Reminds a little of what GP did ...

Oklahoma's Gundy resigns after using offensive language

Cale Gundy, a coach and mainstay of the Oklahoma Sooners college football program, resigned on Sunday after admitting to reading aloud a word in front of the team's players that he described as "shameful and hurtful."

Gundy's 24-year association with the Sooners dates back to 1990, when he played three seasons as the team's quarterback, throwing more than 6,000 yards and achieving 35 touchdowns.

Having graduated in 1993, Gundy went on to serve as a graduate assistant in 1994, before moving on to coach quarterbacks and running backs at Alabama-Birmingham.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...tement-after-saying-shameful-word/ar-AA10qTQn
Beyond dumb and a dangerous trend. We either all agree that these are things that we want to exclude from civilized society and make it equal no matter the race or we continue to make new racists. We are literally moving towards people having to defend themselves based on their race. We also must stop ranking hate. Its all bad.

Eight

didn't realize the ou sid hired jen pataki

why in the world do you need release two announcements on this? seriously say you fired a long time arsehole for his continued [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] which is the story i was told at lunch but regardless you don't make two announcements

tcufrogprince1

It’s a trash word and any person regardless of ethnicity, who that throws it around is part of trash culture.

Good rule of thumb: If it didn’t come out of the Lord Christ’s mouth, then don’t use it.
No one disagrees with that and yet its openly said by almost every race except white people without punishment. Its in rap, its in social media. Its just one more unwritten rule that is very unequally handed out. In turn that will cause more racism because it gives legitimate cause for questioning and yet these white nationalist groups will use it as a recruiting tool. While I wont agree with their reasoning, it is literally unequal treatment. When the dramatic effect is people of only one color losing their careers over even the copying of someone else saying it, then something is wrong. We either apply the rule to all races and stop hate in general or we will just create reverse racism.

asleep003

You may think it ... but you don't have to say it. Have you ever read anything to a group that you have not read to yourself first .?.

vicarfrog

No one disagrees with that and yet its openly said by almost every race except white people without punishment. Its in rap, its in social media. Its just one more unwritten rule that is very unequally handed out. In turn that will cause more racism because it gives legitimate cause for questioning and yet these white nationalist groups will use it as a recruiting tool. While I wont agree with their reasoning, it is literally unequal treatment. When the dramatic effect is people of only one color losing their careers over even the copying of someone else saying it, then something is wrong. We either apply the rule to all races and stop hate in general or we will just create reverse racism.

It is a double standard. Gundy reading a text does not put him in the trash category. I mean those people who have embraced it as part of their vocabulary.

Also, I really don’t think he had anything to apologize for. Never ever apologize to the mob, as someone pointed out earlier, there is no forgiveness or reconciliation with a mob…just retribution.

We need to recover this concept: There is a great difference between “being offended” and “taking offense.” Never apologize to anyone who “takes offense.”

Froglaw

One day, someone must stand up to the Perpetually Outraged and tell them to go screw themselves.

Difficult to discuss the subject without acknowledging the subject by name and why it’s so offensive.

But those are the rules and, like golf, don’t hit it out of bounds. Stroke and distance penalty will be applied with prejudice.

Toad Jones

It is a double standard. Gundy reading a text does not put him in the trash category. I mean those people who have embraced it as part of their vocabulary.

Also, I really don’t think he had anything to apologize for. Never ever apologize to the mob, as someone pointed out earlier, there is no forgiveness or reconciliation with a mob…just retribution.

We need to recover this concept: There is a great difference between “being offended” and “taking offense.” Never apologize to anyone who “takes offense.”
bits and pieces here and there amongst oklahoma friends, this may hv provided an opportunity and it just happened to be the right time