• The KillerFrogs

OT- need help with Bourbon

Limp Lizard

Selecting, not drinking.

Neen to buy a "thank you" for daughter's brother-in-law who is letting us spend a few days at his vacation/rental home in Watercolor, Fl. I am definitely more of a Scotch drinker. I know a lot of brands of Scotch with name recognition (The Macallen, Highland Park, etc.) but I need to advice on Burbon. I know there about a trillion brands of Burbon out there, many really good from small distilleries (many in Texas, apparently), but as a gift, I need to buy something he has heard of. I am looking at about $150-$200 (which will buy you a Highland Park 18 (yum) or a MacAllen 15. What should I go for.

A known brand but good ... an Alabama football team, not a Texas or aggy (they are a name brand in their minds).

froginmn

Hmm. I don't dip in a pool quite that deep but $50/bottle would get you a few good ones, including Charles Goodnight from Texas and things like Michters from Kentucky (they make a good rye as well). Add in a bottle of Mi Familia tequila and you could put together a nice parlay...

Blanton's gets you there at likely 150+. It's the most expensive bottle I have in my cabinet, though I like Michters better.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Selecting, not drinking.

Neen to buy a "thank you" for daughter's brother-in-law who is letting us spend a few days at his vacation/rental home in Watercolor, Fl. I am definitely more of a Scotch drinker. I know a lot of brands of Scotch with name recognition (The Macallen, Highland Park, etc.) but I need to advice on Burbon. I know there about a trillion brands of Burbon out there, many really good from small distilleries (many in Texas, apparently), but as a gift, I need to buy something he has heard of. I am looking at about $150-$200 (which will buy you a Highland Park 18 (yum) or a MacAllen 15. What should I go for.

A known brand but good ... an Alabama football team, not a Texas or aggy (they are a name brand in their minds).
@Horny 4 Life

Limp,

Horny 4 Life should be able to give you some good advice. He has an incredible collection.

My recommendation is to not pay secondary market prices.

Paint It Purple

FroginMn suggestion of Michter's is excellent. Peerless will be in your price range and duly impress. Lots of bourbon lore in Peerless if your recipient is into that sort of thing.

LisaLT

That topic headline worried me

At first.

Wish I could offer a suggestion but my expertise is more in the tequila realm and perhaps wine :)

Endless Purple

If I was going to buy myself a bottle in that range, I would get Garrison Brothers. Had a chance to sample some when I did a visit to their distillery. I thought they were very good. Personally, I liked the Guadaloupe and the Laguna Madre the best. Cowboy was also a good clean bourbon, much smoother than other cask-strengths I have had.

froginmn

That’s weird, because people generally prefer whiskey to be in liquid form. Is it considered an edible? Can you vape it and have a gaseous version? Perhaps the most versatile whiskey, if true.
It's just frozen.

Duh!

BTW I currently have a half dozen bottles in my cabinet that are better than Makers and Bulleit. Froglaw and I couldn't be friends.

Frog in H-town

Ticket Exchange Pass
For that price range you could get a couple nice bottles instead of one really pricey one…maybe something like an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and a Four Roses Barrel select…easier to find at normal prices than something like Blanton’s, Stagg, or Weller 12 and 2 bottles to try gives some variety.

lonestarfrog89

Selecting, not drinking.

Just my opinion but I don’t see a need to spend that much, plenty of nice bottles in the sub $100 range. The problem is though, you can’t find a lot of the popular ones anywhere.

I personally think Blanton’s is way overrated for the price. EH Taylor Small Batch is great at $60ish but it’s super hard to find. I’m a huge Smoke Wagon fan and they’ve increased their distribution so it’s easily findable now. You could get their Small Batch label which is $50-60 and I think is very good.

An-Cap Frog

Just my opinion but I don’t see a need to spend that much, plenty of nice bottles in the sub $100 range. The problem is though, you can’t find a lot of the popular ones anywhere.

I personally think Blanton’s is way overrated for the price. EH Taylor Small Batch is great at $60ish but it’s super hard to find. I’m a huge Smoke Wagon fan and they’ve increased their distribution so it’s easily findable now. You could get their Small Batch label which is $50-60 and I think is very good.
My friend says the same about Blanton's but he just picked up barrel stave and he is trying to collect all the horse stoppers. He's got a TX stopper collection as well.