• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Any reviews on Fast X ? Multiple domestic drivel entanglements recently have prevented me from driving to Grapevine to see it in IMAX from the back row middle seat for max sensory overload.

steelfrog

Tier 1
For you Lonesome Dove fans, who have probably only watched the show, and being the knuckle draggers that you are have never read the book, Robert Duvall patterned his mannerisms, voice, and gestures for the part of Gus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove" from Sammy Baugh, the hall-of-fame quarterback from Temple, Texas.

Said Duvall, "About a month before we started filming, I looked up a classmate, a rancher near Rotan, and he took me to see Sammy Baugh. I thought, 'Wow.' My dad had taken me to see him play with the Washington Redskins when I was ten years old. But he must have been seventy when I met him, and he didn’t even know who I was. We talked for hours about football and his life, and he just seemed to me like an old, tall Texas Ranger. So that’s where I got my gestures and voice and everything (for Gus McCrae), watching and listening to Sammy Baugh."

Ron Swanson

For you Lonesome Dove fans, who have probably only watched the show, and being the knuckle draggers that you are have never read the book, Robert Duvall patterned his mannerisms, voice, and gestures for the part of Gus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove" from Sammy Baugh, the hall-of-fame quarterback from Temple, Texas.

Said Duvall, "About a month before we started filming, I looked up a classmate, a rancher near Rotan, and he took me to see Sammy Baugh. I thought, 'Wow.' My dad had taken me to see him play with the Washington Redskins when I was ten years old. But he must have been seventy when I met him, and he didn’t even know who I was. We talked for hours about football and his life, and he just seemed to me like an old, tall Texas Ranger. So that’s where I got my gestures and voice and everything (for Gus McCrae), watching and listening to Sammy Baugh."
Everyone has known this factoid for decades and it’s been discussed ad nauseum on this board even. Why are you telling us this now as if it’s new information and calling people knuckle draggers?

Eight

gee thanks, have any thoughts on any movies made this millenium or you going to start breaking down the inspiration behind harold lloyd movies

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
When Allie plays T-Ball and Raymond and Deborah have to bring snacks to a great episode.

Or when Frank takes the school record-setting game-winning field goal from the Hofstra-Northeastern game.
"Lucky Suit" and "Marie's Sculpture" are my favorites.
"Marie's Sculpture" was banned in England and by some syndicated channels. But it is a hoot.

JugbandFrog

Watched Air last night on Netflix with the wife…we both really enjoyed it! Fascinating to see how Nike was able to sign Jordan…and change the athletic shoe market forever. I had forgotten, but the king of basketball shoes in 1984 was Converse, then Adidas…

Edit: sorry, it was on Prime.
I didn't realize the Adidas Nazi/Adolf connectiong.

Ron Swanson

“The Curious Case of Natalia Grace” on MAX is a pretty wheels off documentary where you don’t know what the heck to believe the whole time you’re watching it.

And this guy is in it:

IMG_3302.jpeg

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
For all the girl dads or parents in general ”How Do You Measure A Year” on HBO and You Tube (I think). Very interesting and touching look at a daughters transition from 2 to 18. Movie maker filmed his daughter every year on her birthday asking the same questions - what makes her happy, what is power, etc. Very interesting look how she matures in to a beautiful young woman.

HFrog1999

I’m on the final episode of Ted Lasso and think this season has been very good.

My son and his girlfriend have been watching a lot of Ted Lasso

I think that's a euphemism for something else

Shock Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV+