• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Agree…the movie is good, but unnecessarily different from the books. I started reading the books early this summer and on #7 now. The story line changes don’t make sense. The only character that’s remotely close to the book is Gosling as the Gray Man.
Even the story line was all wrong, I thought Lloyd fit the book character a-hole psycho persona. But why not even try to follow a semblance of the book?

Tony Lema

Ticket Exchange Pass
Saw The Gray Man. Very disappointing IMO, having read the books. Vaguely resembled the book, very vaguely. My wife never read the books and liked it.
Gosling was pretty good and Chris Evans was good as Lloyd. But they had Brewer wrong and Fitzroy was CIA and not a private British contractor. Not that Gray Man is entirely married to realism, but this movie wasn‘t even near the church.

Suppose it would be entertaining to those unfamiliar with the characters and/or the books.
A 2-hour long episode of McGyver in HD.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

why not even try to follow a semblance of the book?
This is a Hollywood theme that continues to be repeated and it drives me crazy. I am a huge Garth Ennis fan and the TV adaptations of Preacher and The Boys are nothing like the graphic novels. Preacher and the Boys are simply two of the wildest graphic novels I have ever read and the TV shows went so far off the rails that it ruined them.

Seth Rogan and his stoner buddies in Cali can kiss my ass.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This is a Hollywood theme that continues to be repeated and it drives me crazy. I am a huge Garth Ennis fan and the TV adaptations of Preacher and The Boys are nothing like the graphic novels. Preacher and the Boys are simply two of the wildest graphic novels I have ever read and the TV shows went so far off the rails that it ruined them.

The Hollywood Set is so frighteningly stupid that it continually amazes me. I mean, how do they put one foot in front of the other? Find their mouths when eating?

Zubaz

I mean....you can't do a true-to-comic version of The Boys and expect it to air. The show is messed up as it is, the graphic novels were straight up insane.

Chongo94

Watched The Northman tonight….trippy.

Honestly not sure if I liked it or not. The trailer was totally misleading by the way so don’t bother using that when deciding whether to watch it.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

I'm wondering if they're going to have him fall back into his old ways, and this episode was essentially him falling off the wagon.
That's what I thought the entire episode until the very end where it seemed clear he did the entire thing to end the taxi driver storyline. Didn't seem like he had any interest in continuing the old ways once they successfully completed the task and he set the two guys straight about the situation.

No clue where this is going. My only hypothesis is that we are right around when Walt ended, and next up is Skylar singing to the Feds resulting in a hunt for Saul, which reaches Kim's attention and she learns of what he's been doing all these years, and then she somehow connects with Saul in Nebraska and they go on the run.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Just saw Where The Crawdads Sing and really enjoyed it. Seems South Louisiana would have made more sense. Had a bit of a surprise ending. Guaranteed to please wives and girlfriends. Was a bit surprised to learn the lead actress was British. Maybe why it didn’t sound like anyone was from tidewater North Carolina.

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

Just Where The Crawdads Sing and really enjoyed it. Seems South Louisiana would have made sense. Had a bit of a surprise ending. Guaranteed to please wives and girlfriends. Was a bit surprised to learn the lead actress was British. Maybe why it didn’t sound like anyone was from tidewater North Carolina.
British actors are cheaper! That's why you see so many Brits in "our" productions.

Lower cost is also why, for the past 25 years or so, many shows/films are produced in Canada (as a stand-in for the USA.) The government then requires the production companies to hire a number of Canadians who have what is called a "Jamestown" accent - which is clearly different from average US English-speak. ("Jamestown" accents are from the tidewater regions of states below Delaware: Maryland, Virginia, N & SC and Georgia - pre-TV/WW2 there was great isolation in these areas. Their accents extended from the original English settlements - with Jamestown being the first.) Since Canada was an English colony until the 1860s and the large isolation of Canadian towns and cities, a similar sounding brand of English was spoken widely there - and is alive today!

Ron Swanson

Just Where The Crawdads Sing and really enjoyed it. Seems South Louisiana would have made sense. Had a bit of a surprise ending. Guaranteed to please wives and girlfriends. Was a bit surprised to learn the lead actress was British. Maybe why it didn’t sound like anyone was from tidewater North Carolina.
I’ve seen her in a couple things, she’s a good actress. Irish I thought, but could be wrong.