• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

FBallFan123

Licorice Pizza … not entirely sure what to make of this film.

Critics like it a lot more than I did … not all that uncommon with Paul Thomas Anderson films.

Some have described it as “authentic”, and maybe some of it feels that way, as many of the characters are based on real people, and many have no real movie experience.

Yet other parts - including one scene in particular - feel more like a Once Upon a Time in Hollywood/Tarantino knock-off.

There’s perhaps a bit of charm and innocence to a coming of age relationship movie starring two actors making their big screen debuts … Cooper Hoffman (son of Philip Seymour Hoffman) and singer Alana Haim (of the band HAIM).

Alana gives a good performance, but it seems perhaps a little over-the-top to have her, and other members of the Haim family in the film and using their real names.

And some of the film’s “innocence” is sacrificed at the outset when you learn the ages of the two lead characters, and realize only one of them is actually “coming of age”.

The age gap aids part of the storytelling, but may end up doing more harm than good. At one point Haim’s character questions whether it’s weird to be hanging out with a group of young teenagers …and maybe the filmmaker could’ve spent a little more time asking that question.

How you end up viewing the movie may depend on how you view the relationship.

If it works for you, you might find the film an engrossing exploration of the emotional given-and-take of a “first love”.

If it doesn’t, you might find it a long, drawn out “teen” movie set in the 70’s - hardly new brand terrain - with some interesting but ultimately disjointed vignettes featuring Sean Penn, Tom Waits, Bradley Cooper and others.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

The Tender Bar - Accurately-named, it’s a pretty easy watch with a gentle touch from director George Clooney … but the story is a bit light, and the editing a little curious. It feels like there was a longer movie intended that got cut down and could’ve been pieced together better.

Solid performance from Ben Affleck, and Daniel Rainieri does well in his first movie role that I guess he got based off of notoriety from swearing in an online video about the lockdown.

stbrab

The Last Kingdom season 5 just came out on Netflix. It’s been forever since I’ve watched season 4, so I’m rewatching it now. Barely remember any of it.

The Tourist on HBOMAX is pretty good so far. I’m only on episode 2 of 6.
I finished season 5 last weekend. Thought it was excellent!

They did a good job with the ongoing storyline to somewhat wrap it up. This is the last season, although I understand they're going to have a movie to finish it up.

JogginFrog

Has anyone seen "Belfast"?
It doesn't move very fast--intentionally so--but the acting is good. Kind of a throwback to some of those 70s movies where they do extended closeup shots of the actors' faces. The actress who plays the mom is fantastic. Worth a watch; helps if you have background knowledge about The Troubles or a connection to N. Ireland.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It doesn't move very fast--intentionally so--but the acting is good. Kind of a throwback to some of those 70s movies where they do extended closeup shots of the actors' faces. The actress who plays the mom is fantastic. Worth a watch; helps if you have background knowledge about The Troubles or a connection to N. Ireland.
Caitriona Balfre is an Irish model/actress that was in Ford vs Ferrari and the love interest in Outlander.

FBallFan123

I really liked CODA.

I really liked CODA, as well.

I wasn’t quite sure I would early on. There’s some convenient set ups in the story and it’s not necessarily hard to predict where it may be leading …. but it builds to the coda, if you will, so well that it’s hard to not to enjoy it.

Just a really well-executed movie by director Sian Heder, and the cast including Emilia Jones, Troy Kotsur, Marlee Matlin.