• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

LisaLT

The season finale was funny but not hilarious as it has been all year. And while it was funny I found Vindman's presence, satirization and ultimate monetization of his whistle-blowing to be completely off-putting. Writing a book is one thing. Making light of it on a sitcom is another. Farcical would be the appropriate word.

But Leon...Leon always steals the show. Somehow they've managed to no longer over-expose him and find just the right amount of Leon to write into every episode.
Him and Susie. I also liked Tracy Ullman. She was pretty funny too. I just love how foul mouthed they all are. Always shouting and bickering lol.

I thought the reference Leon made to Larry about putting bad miles on his Johnson was hilarious.

LisaLT

Man, that cracked me up when he told his middle name.
Tapping Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So putting as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as we have since the industrial revolution has no impact? Its a closed-loop system; any significant change would have an impact somewhere. The climate is one terribly obvious example. Same with ocean acidification. I get it; it sucks because if we caused it, we’d seemingly feel compelled to change what we’re doing. Which would mean radically changing energy production and consumption. And a whole bunch of people who hold a lot of power have made vast fortunes, so they’ll block any attempt at change. So we’re heading like a runaway train to a mass extinction event that we’re already seeing the beginnings of. Without transformative change, the only questions will be how quickly will extinction ramp up - and in the long run - will humans be included.
Perhaps, but there have been many times in the earth’s history where mass volcanic events and other natural occurrences have put more CO2 into the atmosphere and in a much shorter time period. The runaway train thing is a bit over blown. Climate scientist keep slowing the runaway train down and speeding it back up. When I was in school the whole earth day business started and they asserted we’d all be living in rainforests in Canada by now.

Even some climate scientists reported recently that the melting of the arctic ice will result in sea current changes that will eventually lead to a cool down.

I sure don’t know all the answers, but the Earth seems to move in cycles and has always recovered on its own. Which doesn’t always guarantee species survival. There’s no guarantee going back to pre Industrial Age emission levels will change anything. If you listen to planetary scientists we have a limited expiration date anyway. Its either a mass ejection life killing radiation bombardment from our own sun or from some nearby super nova, or a planetary killing asteroid that have happened before in earth‘s history and not just in farcical movies, and then there are the volcanologists that say Yellowstone will wipe out 3/4s of North America. These events have a lot more science behind them than man made global climate change that seems to waffle from global warming to now just amorphous climate change. It’s clear something is going on, whether it’s man made, part of the normal inter-glaciation period, Al Gore’s or Trump’s private plane emissions or what.

So do we worry about volcanoes, or cosmic radiation or any of the sure bets to kill us or the alleged slow death of climate change? And then there are Putin and Xi and any number of other nuts that want to wipe us out.

Like a lot of science, it is true until it isn’t anymore. I’m not sure the answers will be known…until they are.

There’s always going to be something that will kill us. In cheerier news, we have new football coach…

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Doesn't really matter. I don't have a lick of respect for them, and ridiculing a projected image of what they think I am is hardly something I would pay to watch. They can fester in their irrelevance for all I care...

As to "Climate Change" it is important to note that it has been far and away warmer than it is now, and it has been far and away colder, too. 13,000 years ago, present day Chicago was under about five miles of solid ice, and glaciers extended as far south as Texas. Much of the ground on my ranch is glacial loess, and this boundary is found in many places in Texas. In the Octagon Fort in Fredericksburg, there is a Wooly Mammoth tusk found during the construction of a bridge some years ago.

I'd rather it be warm.
Just not too warm, since the oceans extended all the way to the Davis Mountains at one time. Might be a tad more damp your way.

Also, I wasn’t defending the movie, just pointing out what their liberal intent was…

Actually, supposed to be a slam at Covid deniers from what I read.

Not sure about global warming. Pretty sure it’s happening, just not sure of the cause. 61 on Christmas here when avg usually in the 30s. I have read some accounts from glaciation experts that don’t get wide reporting (shocking) that as arctic ice melts it causes salt to be diluted which will eventually freeze faster, which change currents which will begin a cooling cycle. We are in an inter glaciation warming period that is part of natural cycling. There was just something buried on the back pages recently indicating the Gulf Stream is already showing sign of change. Just not convinced this all or much man made…

For the last 5 years I've been in sales where 90% of my customer base is within the western loop of 820. So I've been blessed with not having to drive much. But in the last couple months I've driven around the metroplex more than I have in years. I got to thinking about all the cars we have just on our roads. Then I got to thinking about the metro areas in Texas...Austin, Houston, San Antonio. Then got to thinking about all the metro areas in the US. We have 56 metro areas of a million people and 7 others within 100k. Then I got to thinking about globally. That's a lot of frickin cars on a daily basis. That's a lot of exhaust. An ass-ton of emissions. On a daily basis. And we've been doing this every day for decades. If what we are told is true then I don't know how the world isn't on fire right now.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
For the last 5 years I've been in sales where 90% of my customer base is within the western loop of 820. So I've been blessed with not having to drive much. But in the last couple months I've driven around the metroplex more than I have in years. I got to thinking about all the cars we have just on our roads. Then I got to thinking about the metro areas in Texas...Austin, Houston, San Antonio. Then got to thinking about all the metro areas in the US. We have 56 metro areas of a million people and 7 others within 100k. Then I got to thinking about globally. That's a lot of frickin cars on a daily basis. That's a lot of exhaust. An ass-ton of emissions. On a daily basis. And we've been doing this every day for decades. If what we are told is true then I don't know how the world isn't on fire right now.
But then you can fly west from Chicago and go for hours over the Dakotas, Wyoming and western CO and not see any vehicles or even paved roads. Still a lot of open spaces. Not to mention Siberia, eastern China, Canada 100 miles away from the US border, Australia, the oceans, the poles, et al. Lots of concentrated areas and lots and lots of open space with nothing.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I did watch ”Don’t Look Up” last night. I enjoyed it, it’s got a ton of stars in it. The morning show duo of Cate Blanchett and Tyler Perry is great.

Blanchett and Perry are mocking Mika and Joe on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" in case anyone was confused.

gofor2

For those that like sci-fi / time-loop movies, Boss Level was pretty cool. Frank Grillo the lead actor. Gibson as a supporting actor.

Palm Springs was fairly funny. Watching it a second time made some of the scenes and jokes funnier as I knew what the scenario was.