• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Watched Tombstone for the first time last week. Very meh. First hour, pretty good. Second hour, silly. I will give credit to Sam Elliott, Val Kilmer and Powers Boothe. All three characters were great. But Kurt Russell...completely miscast as Wyatt Earp. His acting may have been worse than it was in Big Trouble in Little China. I expected at any moment for Wyatt to morph into Jack and save Kim Catrall from Lo Pan. Kerri Russell would have been better. Then they kill the bad guy with 40% of the movie left and leave us with a stupid, sappy love story of two people dancing in the snow at the end. It was almost as if I watched two separate movies.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Watched Tombstone for the first time last week. Very meh. First hour, pretty good. Second hour, silly. I will give credit to Sam Elliott, Val Kilmer and Powers Boothe. All three characters were great. But Kurt Russell...completely miscast as Wyatt Earp. His acting may have been worse than it was in Big Trouble in Little China. I expected at any moment for Wyatt to morph into Jack and save Kim Catrall from Lo Pan. Kerri Russell would have been better. Then they kill the bad guy with 40% of the movie left and leave us with a stupid, sappy love story of two people dancing in the snow at the end. It was almost as if I watched two separate movies.

In all fairness, I think the Big Trouble in Little China over the top acting was intentional…

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
News of the World with Tom Hanks, post civil war Texas. Excellent and seemed pretty authentic. Kiowa tribe taught little German actress to speak and gave her high marks on her Kiowa pronunciation. Travels from Wichita Falls to San Antonio to find her family after being taken by the Kiowa. Streaming on several platforms. Usual solid performance by Hanks.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

News of the World with Tom Hanks, post civil war Texas. Excellent and seemed pretty authentic. Kiowa tribe taught little german actress to speak and gave her high marks on her Kiowa pronunciation. Travels from Wichita Falls to San Antonio to find her family after being taken by the Kiowa. Streaming on several platforms. Usual solid performance by Hanks.
I’ve heard it’s good, been meaning to watch it

Bob Sugar

Shang Chi is excellent. Best martial arts I’ve seen in a while. Awkwafina wasn’t as annoying as I thought she’d be, and this coming from someone who loathes her.
Good to hear on Shang Chi. I have loved what Marvel has done the last 15 or so years. Like Guardians, I had never heard of this character/story.

Froglaw

I liked both Tombstone and Earp with Costner.

Earp has the scene where he meets Doc Holiday for the first time in Fort Griffin Texas.

The fort is by the entrance into my deer camp on the Lambshead Ranch.

Talk about a historical place.

It was the last Fort in the chain designed to keep the Comanche tribe from raiding the eastern part of Texas.

Also the last stop for the Overland stage run by Butterield & Fargo.

The Butterfield Gap is on our pasture and there is a marker at the top of the Gap.

Frog-in-law1995

News of the World with Tom Hanks, post civil war Texas. Excellent and seemed pretty authentic. Kiowa tribe taught little german actress to speak and gave her high marks on her Kiowa pronunciation. Travels from Wichita Falls to San Antonio to find her family after being taken by the Kiowa. Streaming on several platforms. Usual solid performance by Hanks.

I thought it was great. And as a big fan of short stories, I really loved that they borrowed a bit from O. Henry’s Texas years. They used the basic plot of his story “One Dollar’s Worth” for an important scene.

Eight

if you are looking for something a bit "different" and the cartoonish violence of korean film isn't an automatic no some might want to try "squid game" on netfilx .

will warn you it isn't for the faint and the subject touched is very raw at times

steel, saw the trailers for foundations being run by apple and i am very torn, looks like they spent big on this, just still cautious they can properly handle the source material

jake102

Very excited for Foundation. Hoping it goes well.

October 22nd has two of my most anticipated movies in years on the same day... Dune and the new Wes Anderson movie, The French Dispatch