• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Eight

article from yesterday's wsj about the increased number of "features" that have been generated lately with the huge sums of money being paid by the streaming services for new content

understand the belief of some that the push for new content has diminished the drive for content and there a few streaming services and shows that i have really been underwhelmed by some acclaimed shows.

hollywood however can't take the high road in this discussion as they have become a mill for sequels and movies based upon comic books/ graphic novels

Eight

if you are looking for something a bit different, series that won't take long to get through, i might suggest mr. inbetween on fx. dark comedy from austraila, just started the 3rd series and there are only 26 episodes in the entire series. shows are roughly 30 minutes long so not much wasted time.

outside of the imminent return of rick and morty and bosch i we have struggled to find much that has kept our attention and the wife last 10 minutes into the only episode of rick and morty.

Eight

Mr In Between is great

Steel agrees that the vast majority of content being
generated is unmitigated dogcrap

so many of these new movies and series we just can't connect with the characters and don't really give a [ Finebaum ] about the characters.

mare of where ever it was, boring, that adam sandler movie about the jeweler with the gambling problem, could care less if he lived or died. heck, most of these new series are miserable people in [ Finebaum ]ty situations that only get worse

maybe we are expecting too much, but don't want to be lectured too, would like a degree of believability, would like to care a bit about the characters, and don't need a never ending onslaught of miserable characters living miserable lives

cheese83

so many of these new movies and series we just can't connect with the characters and don't really give a [ #2020 ] about the characters.

mare of where ever it was, boring, that adam sandler movie about the jeweler with the gambling problem, could care less if he lived or died. heck, most of these new series are miserable people in [ #2020 ]ty situations that only get worse

maybe we are expecting too much, but don't want to be lectured too, would like a degree of believability, would like to care a bit about the characters, and don't need a never ending onslaught of miserable characters living miserable lives

I thought Mare of Easttown was pretty cool, wife and I both enjoyed it. Uncut Gems was awful and I'm a Sandler fan, didn't even finish the movie.

There's a lot of good content out there like For All Mankind and Ted Lasso plus some other shows. Warrior on HBO Max was cool.

Eight

I thought Mare of Easttown was pretty cool, wife and I both enjoyed it. Uncut Gems was awful and I'm a Sandler fan, didn't even finish the movie.

There's a lot of good content out there like For All Mankind and Ted Lasso plus some other shows. Warrior on HBO Max was cool.

never couild get into it, too much of miserable people, living miserable lives for us.

not a huge fan of the what if this happened stories or movies. never could get into the man in the high castle

ted lasso was/ is good as i think it is overwritten, but curious how long some of the pretenses can work

heard positive things about warrior and know it is based upon an idea written by bruce lee

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Watching Ben-Hur. What a great flick and no CGI involved.

I'm quite certain Masala was a Longhorn or Aggie. Not sure which.
That is such a beautiful film. I got one of the good 4k discs of it, and still find it a fabulously shot and composed production. The chariot race literally building to the final scene with Masala is just great cinema.

All the dopey CGI in the world cannot cover bad writing, or bad direction. And truly excellent writing, and transcendent acting can make even the most mundane production a wonderful thing.

JugbandFrog

I am out and about and drinking a McNulty, which is named after the amazing drink James McNulty from HBO’s The Wire. it’s a Heineken with a Jameson back. Together, they are very tasty.

which got me to thinking, and posting, cuz there are zero prospects foe ol’ Jug in this bar, and that’s saying something cuz I’da hit the Baylor Beer Thief.

who are your favorite drunks in television/film.

my list is as follows:
1) Brockmire from Brockmire
2) Frank from Shameless
3) McNulty from The Wire

*I’m sure more will come to me as I keep drinking .

PurpleBlood87

That is such a beautiful film. I got one of the good 4k discs of it, and still find it a fabulously shot and composed production. The chariot race literally building to the final scene with Masala is just great cinema.

All the dopey CGI in the world cannot cover bad writing, or bad direction. And truly excellent writing, and transcendent acting can make even the most mundane production a wonderful thing.

I watched it on TCM. On the commentary after the movie they said when Ben-Hur was on TV for first time Heston watched it for a few minutes then later told direction William Wyler that watching it on TV made him want to slash his wrists open.

tcudoc

I am out and about and drinking a McNulty, which is named after the amazing drink James McNulty from HBO’s The Wire. it’s a Heineken with a Jameson back. Together, they are very tasty.

which got me to thinking, and posting, cuz there are zero prospects foe ol’ Jug in this bar, and that’s saying something cuz I’da hit the Baylor Beer Thief.

who are your favorite drunks in television/film.

my list is as follows:
1) Brockmire from Brockmire
2) Frank from Shameless
3) McNulty from The Wire

*I’m sure more will come to me as I keep drinking .
Sam from cheers (recovering)
Otis from Andy Griffith
Woodrow (Aunt Esther’s husband) from Sanford and Son
Homer and Barney from The Simpsons
Randy Marsh from South Park
Karen front Will and Grace
Meredith from The Office

Last edited: