• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Eight

Saw both 1917 and Knives Out and really enjoyed both.

Enjoyed Knives Out and liked the way it wrapped itself up at the end.

As mentioned on another thread saw The Gentlemen last weekend and enjoyed it, but I am an admitted fan of the British gangster genre.

talor

Enjoyed Knives Out and liked the way it wrapped itself up at the end.

As mentioned on another thread saw The Gentlemen last weekend and enjoyed it, but I am an admitted fan of the British gangster genre.
I want to see that. I'm a fan of guy ritchie movies. Ford vs Ferrari and Uncut Gems are the others on my hit list.

I also really liked The Irishman even though it is long.

Eight

I want to see that. I'm a fan of guy ritchie movies. Ford vs Ferrari and Uncut Gems are the others on my hit list.

I also really liked The Irishman even though it is long.

very much liked ford vs ferrari and i think it held fairly close to the actual story.

if you haven't read the book and don't want to there was a very nice feature on prime's grand tour where james may gives some good background information

the only issue i have with ford vs ferrari is matt damon playing carroll shelby versus mm who would have been an east texas boy playing an east texas racing legend

i think richie did a very good job with the gentlemen

PO Frog

I couldn't make it all the way through The Irishman. Really couldn't suspend disbelief enough to buy into 5'2" deniro at 80 years old or whatever being a tough. That scene where he beat a guy and kicked him while on the ground looked like someone with cerebral palsy. Just couldn't get into it and tapped out 1.5 hours in. Shocked people are enjoying it. Was hoping for a goodfellas type and not at all what I got.

Eight

I couldn't make it all the way through The Irishman. Really couldn't suspend disbelief enough to buy into 5'2" deniro at 80 years old or whatever being a tough. That scene where he beat a guy and kicked him while on the ground looked like someone with cerebral palsy. Just couldn't get into it and tapped out 1.5 hours in. Shocked people are enjoying it. Was hoping for a goodfellas type and not at all what I got.

similar to people not wanting to make comments about willie nelson or dolly parton at the cma's.

all the people of the irishman were great at one time and they can still crush it in the right role, but as you point out that wasn't the right role for him

talor

We saw this one yesterday. I give it a solid B+. It is definitely worth the time and ticket price but it would not get my vote for best picture.

What would get your vote?

My favorites movies so far this year have been Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, JoJo Rabbit, Parasite, Toy Story 4, and Knives Out. Only ones I havent seen yet are Little Women and Ford v Ferrari. "Best picture" doesn't mean most enjoyable but I would put 1917 above Joker and Marriage Story in regards to the nominees.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

My favorites movies so far this year have been Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, JoJo Rabbit, Parasite, Toy Story 4, and Knives Out. Only ones I havent seen yet are Little Women and Ford v Ferrari. "Best picture" doesn't mean most enjoyable but I would put 1917 above Joker and Marriage Story in regards to the nominees. Only ones I havent seen yet are Little Women and Ford v Ferrari.

Jojo Rabbit looks really good. Looking forward to seeing it. We drove to Plano yo see 1917 when it was in very limited release and I was blown away by the cinematography. Got the same chills watching the opening scene in no man’s land that I did the Normandy scene in Saving Private Ryan.

And without a shot fired. Just amazing to create that kind of tension with only the viewer’s imagination. Very much like how you never saw the shark in Jaws (until the very end).

I could see 1917 winning for best picture, but it’s not a classic in that realm, imo. Then again, neither were many oscar winners (looking at you, Shakespeare in Love).

Last edited:

My favorites movies so far this year have been Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, JoJo Rabbit, Parasite, Toy Story 4, and Knives Out. Only ones I havent seen yet are Little Women and Ford v Ferrari. "Best picture" doesn't mean most enjoyable but I would put 1917 above Joker and Marriage Story in regards to the nominees.
Probably Parasite or OUATIH. I didn’t saw the movie was not worth seeing I said I don’t see it as Best Picture. If you want to throw it a nomination fine

tcudoc

Once upon a time in Hollywood was really interesting. Kind of slow moving at times. I watched it on a flight home from Chicago. It’s a really long movie so I had to FF through some slow parts to be able to make it to the end before the plane landed.
Leo is a weird guy but I generally like all of his movies I’ve ever seen. I rewatched Catch Me if You Can a couple of weeks ago. Really good movie.
Blood Diamond is an all time favorite.

Eight

Once upon a time in Hollywood was really interesting. Kind of slow moving at times. I watched it on a flight home from Chicago. It’s a really long movie so I had to FF through some slow parts to be able to make it to the end before the plane landed.
Leo is a weird guy but I generally like all of his movies I’ve ever seen. I rewatched Catch Me if You Can a couple of weeks ago. Really good movie.
Blood Diamond is an all time favorite.

i like dicaprio's movies, but tarrentino has gotten really, really creepy to me

just can't see myself spending money on something he makes anymore