• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Chongo94

HBO is showing The Sopranos series again - one season a day. I've watched a few episodes. So well done. It started 20 years ago. Dang.
Previously mentioned, The Tudors (Showtime) was excellent.

Got sucked into that yesterday before the basketball game. Awesome show.

SwissArmyFrog

Anyone got any movie/series ideas for my wife and I to watch together?

This may sound out of left field, but the Sharknado movies (there are now 6, I think) are outrageously funny. Mindless, silly, fun entertainment.

In the last one, they go back (and forward) in time. In one section, they meet up with G. Washington and Alexander Hamilton. After talking over the situation, one of the main characters pulls Hamilton off to the side and says, "Man, tickets to your musical are just impossible to get..."

Chongo94

I don’t know how you or your wife feel about subtitles, Ron, but 1983 on Netflix is awesome! I’ve been telling everyone about it after watching it. It’s a Polish series but there are moments where they speak English as there are English language specific characters in it.

It also has the option to just watch the whole thing in English, without subtitles but that always just throws me off so I stick with the original way.

lowfrog

Michael Connelly series on Netflix if you have not seen it already. Up to 40 episodes now with more coming so there is plenty to watch. It's called Bosch.

Saving Mr Banks with Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson. Even if you and wife end up not liking it, it is worth watching for several scenes such as when Walt Disney gets Pamela "P. L." Travers to ride the Disney World merry-go-round.

Arrival is a movie I liked. Yes, it's science fiction, but you have to figure out what is really going on, which is what makes it interesting (at least to me). Why are the aliens coming here?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I’ll get blasted for this but found The Accountant to be really good & twisty. Especially when the FBI guy finds all the stealth cameras in the back yard,well this is all covered but how does he protect the front?
Sweet Jesus Mary & Joseph .....

MTfrog5

I’ll get blasted for this but found The Accountant to be really good & twisty. Especially when the FBI guy finds all the stealth cameras in the back yard,well this is all covered but how does he protect the front?
Sweet Jesus Mary & Joseph .....
I need to rewatch that. Really enjoyed the parts I was able to watch.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Bosch is wonderfully done and acted. Titus Welliver is perfect as the lead. Mrs. Brewingfrog and I have been reading Connelly's books for years, and the Amazon series is very well executed, probably due to the author being one of the producers...

And, if it hasn't already been mentioned, the first True Detective series was simply excellent. The second wasn't.

InstaFrog

Bosch is wonderfully done and acted. Titus Welliver is perfect as the lead. Mrs. Brewingfrog and I have been reading Connelly's books for years, and the Amazon series is very well executed, probably due to the author being one of the producers...

And, if it hasn't already been mentioned, the first True Detective series was simply excellent. The second wasn't.
Bosch ✅
True Detective I ✅

Watching first episode of True Detective III and it has the same vibe. Just wish Stephen Dorff didn’t remind me of a refugee from The Shire every time he stands next to someone.

Chongo94

Watched The Highwaymen on Netflix tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Costner is good, Harrelson is great! Would’ve liked a bit more period music as the soundtrack was just ok in my opinion but I don’t make movies so whatever.

Not as action packed as the trailer leads one to believe, which I think is the point. I thought it a good movie all in all.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

Seven Psychopaths is a fun movie. Helps get me in a good mood. Can't go wrong with Christopher Walken.

Then there is Rubber, about a serial-killer tire. You'll hate it or love it.

Ron Swanson

I liked both Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born. Some really impressive performances by Bradley Cooper and Remi Malek.

Triple Frontier on Netflix was good and definitely worth the watch. Not amazing but good. I’d give it a B+ or A-.

I just finished Informer on Amazon Prime. Solid watch. Again, not great but pretty damn good.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime is a good one if you’re looking for something to watch with the wife. I’m slightly embarrassed to admit I like it cause it’s clearly geared towards women, but I’ve actually talked to quite a few other guys who liked it as well. It’s pretty funny and the main chick is hot and likable.

True Detective season 3 was damn good. Not as good as season 1, but not much is. I actually went back and rewatched season 1 after watching season 3 because it got me in the mood for it and it was even better the 2nd time around. Woody Harrelson was great, but McConaughey’s performance is one of the best acting jobs of all-time. He’s awesome. Anyway, season 3 was a million times better than season 2. Both Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff were real good (particularly Ali). The ending was solid (albeit a little frustrating).

BABYFACE

The Dirt was fun. Of course this is from my era of music and I seen the band live a handful of times. Do not watch with the kids, even if they are teenagers. It would make for an awkward experience.

Good thing Crue wrestled this movie away from Paramount Pictures doing it. No way this movie hits the theatres as it was done. Netflix was the perfect outlet.

I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, but don’t expect the Dirt to be similar.

Froginbedford

This may sound out of left field, but the Sharknado movies (there are now 6, I think) are outrageously funny. Mindless, silly, fun entertainment.

In the last one, they go back (and forward) in time. In one section, they meet up with G. Washington and Alexander Hamilton. After talking over the situation, one of the main characters pulls Hamilton off to the side and says, "Man, tickets to your musical are just impossible to get..."

I watched the first Sharknado and lost 15 IQ points....I had to recover with Howard the Duck....

tetonfrog

I am a big fan of NARCOS. Still have to watch the Season 4, but I really liked the first two seasons.Season 3 was good, too.

Also, catch up on Deadwood. The movie following Season 3 is coming out this year. Very cool!

Ron Swanson

I am a big fan of NARCOS. Still have to watch the Season 4, but I really liked the first two seasons.Season 3 was good, too.

Also, catch up on Deadwood. The movie following Season 3 is coming out this year. Very cool!
The most recent season, Narcos Mexico, is better than Narcos, IMO.

I liked Narcos alright, but I never fully “believed” the actors that much (although I really liked Agent Peña). It was very good, but overrated.

Narcos Mexico was much better done I thought.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
I liked both Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born. Some really impressive performances by Bradley Cooper and Remi Malek.

Triple Frontier on Netflix was good and definitely worth the watch. Not amazing but good. I’d give it a B+ or A-.

I just finished Informer on Amazon Prime. Solid watch. Again, not great but pretty damn good.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime is a good one if you’re looking for something to watch with the wife. I’m slightly embarrassed to admit I like it cause it’s clearly geared towards women, but I’ve actually talked to quite a few other guys who liked it as well. It’s pretty funny and the main chick is hot and likable.

True Detective season 3 was damn good. Not as good as season 1, but not much is. I actually went back and rewatched season 1 after watching season 3 because it got me in the mood for it and it was even better the 2nd time around. Woody Harrelson was great, but McConaughey’s performance is one of the best acting jobs of all-time. He’s awesome. Anyway, season 3 was a million times better than season 2. Both Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff were real good (particularly Ali). The ending was solid (albeit a little frustrating).

A longish read but I was facinated by this analysis of Season 1, I need to go back and rewatch it.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/deeper-meaning-true-detective-season-one/