• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Virginia Frog

It’s a good show. About as suspenseful as an episode of Scooby-Doo, but enjoyable nonetheless. I have a feeling Natasha Leon is a love her or hate her kind of personality.
I think it's the blue collar-ish/non-Manhattan boroughs "New Yorker" coming through when it comes to Natasha as to the love/hate. Many Americans just don't care for NY City anything - especially the speech - and I get that. it doesn't bother me.

Simply, no.

Splitting the vote is an age-old method to arrive at an outcome that is not a plurality. In those cases the "best" who wins this type of sweepstakes likely isn't the "best." (i.e. American politics.)

The Oscar folks decided in 2009 to expand the nominees of "Best Picture" category from five to ten largely as a marketing tool to expand viewership of those films and gain interest in the respective upcoming awards telecast. I get that, but the byproduct of that action (unintended consequence?) was to award the #1/Headline category Win to films that (since they never release voting totals/percentages) in real terms garner that have received a fractional percentage of the total vote. (Since the numbers aren't released, I'm unable PROVE it, but it's clear (IMO) that some of these BP winners ARE NOT the "Best" Picture!)

Wouldn't it be better if the system for choosing anything (awards, politics, employment, admissions, grants, on and on) was done in such a way that the decision makers/deciders choices were free of wokeism so "the best" candidate would get the win? Long term, it'd be better for everyone.

(This film, EEAAO, was a mess. I can see some merit in it's craft/story/production and I expect for it to get some Oscar Ws. It's the BP win potential where maybe there is some wokeism at play. The races of the cast are not the issue...unless one wants to gain favor for votes due to the current social environment that we are in today.)
The voters don’t simply vote for one Best Picture nominee; they rank them all in order of their preference.
This year, voters will be asked to rank the 10 Best Picture nominees in order of their preference. If one nominee garners more than 50% of the first place votes, it will win Best Picture.

If, as is more likely, no nominee reaches this threshold, the film with the fewest first-place votes is eliminated, with its ballots being reapportioned to the second-place choice.

Should no film cross the required 50% + one ballot threshold, the film with the fewest first-place votes is again eliminated, with its ballots being apportioned to the next choice still in play (i.e., if the second-place choice is no longer in the running, then the ballot would be reapportioned to the third-place choice and so on.)

This process of elimination and reapportion continues until one film reaches at least 50% + one ballots. That will be the Best Picture winner revealed as the last award at the Oscars on March 12.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
dude, you have really buried the lead on this movie

features the greatness of michelle yeoh who has been doing her own stunts in martial arts movies for roughly 40 years including crouching tiger hidden dragons

she is very smart, beautiful, athletic, and tough as hell

two of my favorite scenes in movie history are both in michael mann movies, first, the incredible one shot, one take bank robbery shoot out scene in heat and then the stunning, tragic, throw your favorite adverb in here , climatic scene in last of the mohicans in which daniel day lewis spent weeks training with a former green beret in rural alabama so that he could accurately fire a muzzle loader on the run AND then load it and while again without having to stop

present to you for your consideration for the jackie chan classic, super cop 3, the famous motorcycle jump. a few things to remember. first, this is truly michelle on the bike and not a stunts person, she had not ridden a motorcycle until that morning of shooting, and the only preparation she was given was to be talked through the scene and told what speed she need to be at when she hit the jump ramp

Michelle Yeoh is in my top 10 actresses of all time. I've heard she is amazing in person as well.

East Coast

Tier 1
Simply, no.

Splitting the vote is an age-old method to arrive at an outcome that is not a plurality. In those cases the "best" who wins this type of sweepstakes likely isn't the "best." (i.e. American politics.)

The Oscar folks decided in 2009 to expand the nominees of "Best Picture" category from five to ten largely as a marketing tool to expand viewership of those films and gain interest in the respective upcoming awards telecast. I get that, but the byproduct of that action (unintended consequence?) was to award the #1/Headline category Win to films that (since they never release voting totals/percentages) in real terms garner that have received a fractional percentage of the total vote. (Since the numbers aren't released, I'm unable PROVE it, but it's clear (IMO) that some of these BP winners ARE NOT the "Best" Picture!)

Wouldn't it be better if the system for choosing anything (awards, politics, employment, admissions, grants, on and on) was done in such a way that the decision makers/deciders choices were free of wokeism so "the best" candidate would get the win? Long term, it'd be better for everyone.

(This film, EEAAO, was a mess. I can see some merit in it's craft/story/production and I expect for it to get some Oscar Ws. It's the BP win potential where maybe there is some wokeism at play. The races of the cast are not the issue...unless one wants to gain favor for votes due to the current social environment that we are in today.)
I really don't care who wins the Oscars or any of these awards, and don't understand why some people outside their industries are passionate about them.

Eight

Ok, it's official. I've watched 2/3 of "Everyone everywhere" and it is so nuts! I had to take a break bc its crazy. It is the weirdest, crazy, and at first part most confusing movie I've ever seen.

When the matrix came out I loved it, but didn't quite understand everything. Second watch got me saying I think I get it. Same with inception or memento.

Its like Bollywood on Hollywood acting. Like it, but kind of stressing me out

same guys who did swiss army man with daniel radcliffe

has a bit of scott pilgrim saves the world to it in that it doesn't try to follow the rules of hollywood movie making, but doesn't go to the extreme of gore and such

reminds me a bit of the movies coming out of hong kong which were more slapstick with their violence and fights as opposed to say the raid series

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
I'm starting this because I've kind of been wanting to start one for a while and also because I just watched one of the worst westerns I've seen in a long long time and am hopeful that this thread will stop others from wasting money on certain movies like The Last Jedi or wasting time on a western like In a Valley of Violence.

So feel free to suggest movies worth seeing and those worth avoiding, be they old or new and famous or not well known.

As to In a Valley of Violence....it's bad, just really bad. I was kind of taking it in a ho hum way grinding through it until one of the last scenes with John Travolta standing in between two gun fighters. AVOID THIS MOVIE unless you like long winded badly written badly acted laughable stupidity.

Entertaining Westerns :

1) Silverado (Just a terrific movie)

2) Shanghai Noon (Fabulously entertaining)

3) The Outlaw Josey Wales

4). The War Wagon

5) Maverick

6). Magnificent Seven (original)

7). Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

8). The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

9). The Alamo

10) Rio Bravo

11). McLintock

12) The Sons of Katie Elder

13). True Grit

14). Big Jake

15). The Cowboys

16) Rooster Cogburn

17) Tombstone ( Kurt Russell is very average, but Kilmer and the others are fabulous in this)

18) Unforgiven

19) The Shootist

20) Dances with Wolves

Honorable mention - Pale Rider, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Hombre, Missouri Breaks, Jeremiah Johnson

A lot of John Wayne, but hey....... He was WESTERN Movies

stbrab

Entertaining Westerns :

4). The War Wagon

5) Maverick

9). The Alamo

10) Rio Bravo

11). McLintock

13). True Grit

14). Big Jake

15). The Cowboys

16) Rooster Cogburn

17) Tombstone ( Kurt Russell is very average, but Kilmer and the others are fabulous in this)

18) Unforgiven

19) The Shootist

20) Dances with Wolves

Honorable mention - Pale Rider, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Hombre, Missouri Breaks, Jeremiah Johnson

Pretty good list, although you could argue the order, particularly when you include the honorable mentions. Didn’t see Once Upon a Time in the West? My personal top ten is:

1-Unforgiven
2-The Outlaw Josey Wales
3-Once Upon a Time in the West
4-The Shootist
5-Jeremiah Johnson
6-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
7-The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
8-Hombre
9-Big Jake
10-Silverado

A couple of others not on your list: Two Mules for Sister Sara, Appaloosa, Open Range, Quigley Down Under. A Fistful of Dollars, 3:10 to Yuma (Russell Crowe version)

Last edited:

JaceyMccann

Some ratings and good reviews of westerns that rate:
"Cowboys vs. Aliens" (Cowboys vs. Aliens, 2011)
"True Detective" (True Grit, 2010)
"Merciless (Unforgiven, 1992)
"Tango & Cash (Tango & Cash, 1989)
"The Big Lebowski" (The Big Lebowski, 1998)
On the other hand, there are some westerns to avoid:
"Faster Than a Bullet" (Faster, 2010).
"Our Own" ( The Ridiculous 6 , 2015).
"Django Libre (Django Libre, 2012).

Creeperfrog

I just went through a youtube rabbit hole and found the best movie scene of all time.

I'm not great at posting video, but if you look it it up it is sweet nostalgia.

Vanilla Ice raping in teenage mutant night turtles 2. The secret of the ooze

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Entertaining Westerns :

4). The War Wagon

5) Maverick

9). The Alamo

10) Rio Bravo

11). McLintock

13). True Grit

14). Big Jake

15). The Cowboys

16) Rooster Cogburn

18) Unforgiven

19) The Shootist

20) Dances with Wolves

I remember sitting in the theater at Hulen Mall watching Silverado, with that lovely opening shot of the camera slowly pulling back widening out, showing off the beautiful canyons and mesas in rich 70mm color. Wow!

I won't quibble with any of the ordering, but only one Spaghetti Western?