• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
TCM just showed Brian's Song. I hadn't seen it since it first aired on ABC in 1971. I was a freshman at TCU, living in Waits Dorm. When it ended, I went down the hall to the communal bathroom to wash my tear-stained face. As I did, all the other doors opened with gals doing the same. And after 53 years, I think I teared up just as much this time. It was short - 1hr and 13 min - but groundbreaking. Nielsen ratings back then showed that it was viewed on 1/3 of all televisions in the US.
Although the movie intimated that Brian Piccolo had lung cancer, a post on Imdb stated the following:
"While it was not mentioned in the film for reasons of delicacy on prime time TV, Brian Piccolo had a metastasized version of testicular cancer ("testicle" was a censored word). He underwent multiple, extremely painful surgeries that, among other things, included a mastectomy, the removal of a chest wall, and a orchiectomy (removal of the testicle). The surgeon was later described as being too gung-ho because at the time and with the cancer at such an advanced state, there was nothing that could actually be done and the best thing should have been to focus on quality of life, as Brian's chances were virtually zero."
Thank goodness, medicine has certainly progressed since then. Testicular cancer is much more treatable now.

tcudoc

TCM just showed Brian's Song. I hadn't seen it since it first aired on ABC in 1971. I was a freshman at TCU, living in Waits Dorm. When it ended, I went down the hall to the communal bathroom to wash my tear-stained face. As I did, all the other doors opened with gals doing the same. And after 53 years, I think I teared up just as much this time. It was short - 1hr and 13 min - but groundbreaking. Nielsen ratings back then showed that it was viewed on 1/3 of all televisions in the US.
Although the movie intimated that Brian Piccolo had lung cancer, a post on Imdb stated the following:
"While it was not mentioned in the film for reasons of delicacy on prime time TV, Brian Piccolo had a metastasized version of testicular cancer ("testicle" was a censored word). He underwent multiple, extremely painful surgeries that, among other things, included a mastectomy, the removal of a chest wall, and a orchiectomy (removal of the testicle). The surgeon was later described as being too gung-ho because at the time and with the cancer at such an advanced state, there was nothing that could actually be done and the best thing should have been to focus on quality of life, as Brian's chances were virtually zero."
Thank goodness, medicine has certainly progressed since then. Testicular cancer is much more treatable now.
I rewatched it a few years ago. The takeaways for me were, the acting seemed a bit strained at times and the movie was super short. I didn’t think it was nearly as good as I remembered it being.
I recall a movie about John Cappaletti and his Heisman that he gave to his brother, who was undergoing cancer treatment. It was called Something for Joey. At the time, it was right up there with Old Yeller as far as sad movies go. I’d love to rewatch it and see if it stands the test of time.

Last edited:

Chongo94

New trailer for Furiosa is out. I’m sorry but while the action and effects look pretty awesome, if maybe a bit too CGI heavy, I just have to laugh out loud whenever they try to show Anya Taylor-Joy as some badass tough person. It’s cringy and laughable. And I get that it’s a younger version of Furiosa, but there are 11 year olds that exude more of a menacing presence than this actress.

Last edited:

tcudoc

The Gentlemen on the Netfix is excellent, especially if you liked the Two Locks/Snatch/Guy Ritchie style
Watched about 5 episodes and gave up. It was too ridiculous for me and I didn’t care for any of the characters. It seemed like they were going for a Breaking Bad story line. I just stopped looking forward to what was coming next and my wife felt the same. So we just called it quits.

JugbandFrog

Watched about 5 episodes and gave up. It was too ridiculous for me and I didn’t care for any of the characters. It seemed like they were going for a Breaking Bad story line. I just stopped looking forward to what was coming next and my wife felt the same. So we just called it quits.
Oh man, I'm on episode 3 and love it so far, but I can see where it's getting a little like he will become the Kingpin

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Watched the 9-episode documentary on Netflix called "The Turning Point--The Bomb and the Cold War."

Fascinating and highly informative--covers everything from the Manhattan Project to the US-USSR arms race (and nuclear testing) to the various changes in leadership and doctrine in the USSR, to Chernobyl and the present-day threats by Putin to use nukes against Ukraine and NATO.

Must see for the young'uns like my barber who didn't know that the US had actually dropped nukes on Japan.

Chongo94

Watched the 9-episode documentary on Netflix called "The Turning Point--The Bomb and the Cold War."

Fascinating and highly informative--covers everything from the Manhattan Project to the US-USSR arms race (and nuclear testing) to the various changes in leadership and doctrine in the USSR, to Chernobyl and the present-day threats by Putin to use nukes against Ukraine and NATO.

Must see for the young'uns like my barber who didn't know that the US had actually dropped nukes on Japan.
Been wanting the watch this, thanks for the write up.

I rewatched it a few years ago. The takeaways for me were, the acting seemed a bit strained at times and the movie was super short. I didn’t think it was nearly as good as I remembered it being.
I recall a movie about John Cappaletti and his Heisman that he gave to his brother, who was undergoing cancer treatment. It was called Something for Joey. At the time, it was right up there with Old Yeller as far as sad movies go. I’d love to rewatch it and see if it stands the rest of time.
I remember seeing Something for Joey as a pup. Good stuff as far as 70s schlock, sports movies go. And Old Yeller. You're not a red blooded, God fearing American if you haven't seen and gotten misty at Old Yeller.