• The KillerFrogs

OT- More Stupidity From TCU

froginmn

I guess I look at it like this. People can identify however they like or chose, but in an academic setting, why would a professor, who likely has numerous- maybe 1000’s of students- be expected to learn the pronouns of all students? How would that even be possible? It seems like an unrealistic expectation IMO.
This is where I am as well. I'm certainly OK with calling anyone whatever they wish to be called, but I don't have the ability at work to think back to what pronouns they have in their email signature when addressing them in person. It also seems that the high 90 percent of people who have pronouns in their signatures do it primarily to show "support" for those who have non traditional pronouns.

The one place it was helpful was when I had to refer to someone in an email, and her non-English name left me with no idea of her gender. After a bit of struggling I remembered that she might have pronouns in the signature so I went back and found them...

HFrog1999

I'm sure many of y'all will find this petty and not worth posting about, but I personally found it so ridiculously stupid that TCU deserves to be called out publicly.

For as long as I can remember, it's been a fun tradition to get your wedding picture published in TCU Magazine with all of your TCU friends doing the "go frogs" hand sign, especially if you marry a fellow Horned Frog. I know my wife and I had our picture published with all the TCU alumni that attended our wedding, and we still have a copy of that magazine at our house.

My friend from TCU got married this past year and has a really cool picture with her, her husband, their tcu wedding guests, and super frog who made an appearance.

HOWEVER, TCU Magazine refuses to publish the picture because the wedding "coincided with the pandemic." How scheissing stupid is that? Just mind numbing. Shame on you TCU Magazine and all those involved with your idiocy.

They should’ve submitted it to the “Frogs We’ll Miss”, or whatever they call the obituary section

giphy.gif

BABYFACE

Maybe I am over simplifying, but it isn’t easier to just call someone by their name and just forget about pronouns? However, I guess it is only a matter of time before a person’s name is viewed as offensive.

I used to think PC culture would be the ruination of society. What is going on now is like weaponizing PC with a nuclear warhead and has reached the level of absurdity. Somehow we all are unknowingly participants in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Paint It Purple

For the few posters that say what is the big deal? Well, here is another example of ridiculousness. It has become comical.
"But why are they so quick to jump onboard? Because things have changed. Being gay, as I’ve mentioned, was once a stigma. Coming out took courage. Nowadays, being part of this relatively new alphabet community—which began its history with L for lesbian, G for gay, and B for bisexual, but has long since left gay men and women in the dust—is considered cool.

Cool! Being gay was never cool.

Where will all this gender narcissism lead? Nothing remains cool forever: that’s the nature of cool. The pendulum never stops swinging. Eventually it will swing back. There will be a blowback against all this. And it’ll hit gay people like me, too. And any gay people who have encouraged this mischief will deserve what they get."

https://amgreatness.com/2021/07/07/gender-narcissism/

researchfrog

The more I see this crap from TCU, the more I think I’ll be done with the school when Coach P retires (and maybe before then if he doesn’t turn it around). I’ll remain Facebook friends with a few of my profs who haven’t retired or died yet, but it’s not the place my family and I attended. Just zero interest in supporting the school.

BABYFACE

"But why are they so quick to jump onboard? Because things have changed. Being gay, as I’ve mentioned, was once a stigma. Coming out took courage. Nowadays, being part of this relatively new alphabet community—which began its history with L for lesbian, G for gay, and B for bisexual, but has long since left gay men and women in the dust—is considered cool.

Cool! Being gay was never cool.

Where will all this gender narcissism lead? Nothing remains cool forever: that’s the nature of cool. The pendulum never stops swinging. Eventually it will swing back. There will be a blowback against all this. And it’ll hit gay people like me, too. And any gay people who have encouraged this mischief will deserve what they get."

https://amgreatness.com/2021/07/07/gender-narcissism/
Good read and interesting perspective from the author that happens to be gay.

LVH

Bunch of snowflakes around here. Who the living cares!!

Not one person in my world or in any business that I deal with gives a crap about anything TCU but sports.

Do you people really sit around and talk about this outside this board?

This seems to be the go to defense from the left these days

We also are seeing it in regards to the reaction to the San Francisco gay choir and their song about going after kids

"WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE? WHY DO YOU EVEN NOTICE SUCH THINGS? STOP NOTICING THESE THINGS GOSH"

Also saw that defense in regards to BLM rioters. The left got angry that we noticed the rioters.

Bob Sugar

The photo thing is not surprising in the least. As I mentioned in several baseball threads, a conservative faculty member told me the reason baseball capacity was limited all season was almost solely due to liberal faculty basically threatening to revolt if TCU didn’t continue to treat COVID like Ebola.

And the pronoun thing is beyond ridiculous. Like .02% of the population thinks they are a different gender than the one they were born. It’s basically akin to us all adding USA to our profile so that in the off chance we run into someone from Vatican City, no one is confused which country we reside.

Big Frog II

If you think we are the only school with this pronoun issue, look around. My youngest son ran into it at in grad school at the University of Georgia five years ago. As for the Californians at TCU, the ones I have met are really good people who have been a plus for our school. Oh, and you would be surprised how many stay here in the DFW area.

Paint It Purple

The photo thing is not surprising in the least. As I mentioned in several baseball threads, a conservative faculty member told me the reason baseball capacity was limited all season was almost solely due to liberal faculty basically threatening to revolt if TCU didn’t continue to treat COVID like Ebola.
I sat next to two TCU faculty at a bar while watching a Frog football game a year or so back. They were pleasant at first, but then became drunk and incredibly obnoxious towards opposing fans in the bar. I moved my seat and actually apologized for their behavior to others seated nearby. BTW - in addition to their TCU gear, they wore Bernie pins.

frogtwang

Gender and sex are not the same thing, but I don’t expect many here to understand that. So by all means, continue with your misguided outrage against diversity and inclusion.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Gender and sex are not the same thing, but I don’t expect many here to understand that. So by all means, continue with your misguided outrage against diversity and inclusion.

Man. Woman. There! That wasn't so hard.

I don't care what color your skin is, here's the criteria for the job. Do you have it or not?

Yeah, we're just a bunch of spear-carrying Neanderthals...

Froginbedford

This is where I am as well. I'm certainly OK with calling anyone whatever they wish to be called, but I don't have the ability at work to think back to what pronouns they have in their email signature when addressing them in person. It also seems that the high 90 percent of people who have pronouns in their signatures do it primarily to show "support" for those who have non traditional pronouns.

The one place it was helpful was when I had to refer to someone in an email, and her non-English name left me with no idea of her gender. After a bit of struggling I remembered that she might have pronouns in the signature so I went back and found them...

"Anyone" is singular; the pronoun could be "he," "she", "his," "hers." In the case of unknown gender, even though it takes a few more key strokes and/or vocalization, "he/she," or if one prefers, "she/he," is the correct usage...."Someone" is also singular. "He/she" is appropriate in that case, as well....

I know language has always been fluid, but their desire to avoid gender identification/recognition leads to a great amount of confusion on the part of them and it sounds under educated and unsophisticated, as well....

While the rant is on, too many of their TV commercial dialogues are dropping "I" in the place of "me." "Car Shield saved my family and I $5,000 dollars." Drop the "my family" and mentally, verbally say "...saved I $5,000...." Under educated, unsophisticated....

Big deal, he says? We all know when they say it on television their words become copied by them public viewers within weeks.....

MAcFroggy

A friend and fellow alum from my undergraduate days used to write letters to the editor of the TCU Magazine complaining about the increasingly leftward tilt of the publication and the school in general but they weren't always published. So, he took the matter up personally with Boschini but to no seeming effect.

And then, guess what happened? In case some of you haven't noticed, the magazine no longer even has a "Letters to the Editor" section! They simply got rid of it so that "nowhere is heard a discouraging word" about the school and alums can no longer complain that their letters aren't being published.

But if eliminating the "Letters to the Editor" section was intended to mollify my friend, it didn't work. He's a wealthy and incredibly generous individual who had donated to TCU heavily in the past but he stopped contributing to the school entirely at that point and took TCU out of his will. I applauded his decision but told him it was long overdue.

The TCU Magazine, much like the university as a whole, I'm afraid, has become nothing but a "woke joke."

That is more of an issue that TCU does not have a strong independent alumni association. The entire alumni association, magazine, etc are just run by the university. I wish TCU alumni association was a separate organization with outside perspective.