• The KillerFrogs

OT - Living in Wyoming?

AroundWorldFrog

As someone that's always had their walking shoes on, I've spent 13 years in Northern Arizona and feel that itch to live somewhere else. I've currently got some ties to SW Wyoming and owning an E-commerce business makes things easy for me, just need an internet connection and post office nearby. It's a great time to sell a house in Northern Arizona so I'm thinking real seriously about this move.

Just wondering if anyone has spent much time in SW Wyoming or lived there. Can't afford Jackson so forget that. :confused:Partial to Evanston because of its outdoor activities, relatively inexpensive housing with land and a quick hop to SLC for anything I might need from the "big city". I might consider as far as Lander/Riverton, but probably not Cody or Sheridan.

Any advice? Thoughts? Comments? I'm ready.....

200.webp

Smellslikeroses

As someone that's always had their walking shoes on, I've spent 13 years in Northern Arizona and feel that itch to live somewhere else. I've currently got some ties to SW Wyoming and owning an E-commerce business makes things easy for me, just need an internet connection and post office nearby. It's a great time to sell a house in Northern Arizona so I'm thinking real seriously about this move.

Just wondering if anyone has spent much time in SW Wyoming or lived there. Can't afford Jackson so forget that. :confused:Partial to Evanston because of its outdoor activities, relatively inexpensive housing with land and a quick hop to SLC for anything I might need from the "big city". I might consider as far as Lander/Riverton, but probably not Cody or Sheridan.

200.webp
I live in northern Colorado (Fort Collins), just be sure to visit in the winter before you go. The wind can be something insane in parts of Wyoming. Like A very cold Hell.

Surfrog

Lived in Jackson for a while - not as expensive as you think, check out Hoback junction, Moose, or Alpine, all are outside the madhouse of Jackson proper, but still in the valley.

Evanston is a nice place.

Star Valley people are weird.

AroundWorldFrog

Lived in Jackson for a while - not as expensive as you think, check out Hoback junction, Moose, or Alpine, all are outside the madhouse of Jackson proper, but still in the valley.

Looked in Alpine a little. Definitely cheaper than Jackson.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
If you're set on doing a northern tier stint, skip Wyoming and settle down in the Rapid City SD area. Great town; great people. Weather is a tad bit more moderate there due to the Black Hills...but it still gets hot in the summer and you'll learn how to handle wind chills in the -40 range in the winter.

Armadillo

Lived in Texas all my life. Spent some time after graduating from TCU traveling for work to the north east and north west.

But we just traveled to the south west part of Colorado last week. It was heavenly. I'm ready for seasons. A few more years and maybe back to CO or maybe North Carolina, for good. Seasons!!!!

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’m waiting on input from tetonfrog and wyomingfrog. Well one of those two.

For what it’s worth check out Idaho. My favorite of the mountain states in many ways. If family wasn’t a concern I’d live in Stanley.

Edit: Stanley wouldn’t work. Mail service would take a few extra days if it could get out at all in the winter.

Last edited:

AroundWorldFrog

I’m waiting on input from tetonfrog and wyomingfrog. Well one of those two.

For what it’s worth check out Idaho. My favorite of the mountain states in many ways. If family wasn’t a concern I’d live in Stanley.

Edit: Stanley wouldn’t work. Mail service would take a few extra days if it could get out at all in the winter.
I was wondering about those two also. I see tetonfrog was lurking. Would love to get their input.

AroundWorldFrog

haha, was just looking and there are a lot of houses at reasonable prices in Star Valley. What's up with them? Other than it looks like it is very busy with RV traffic, tourists, etc in the summer and probably a ghost town in the winter.

flyfishingfrog

200.webp
Evanston is ok but not the nicest part of the state - you would be better off going into Utah if being close to SLC is your goal - frankly the entire I-80 corridor is just not the best part of Wyoming. Better than Eastern Wyoming but you need to get north of Kemmerer and roughly stay west of an imaginary line up highway 189 and north to Cody if you want to be in the prime part of the state in my opinion.

If you get a map and look from Ashton, Idaho east to Pinedale, Wyoming and dead south from both with Highway 20 and I-15 the border on the west and basically highway 189 the eastern edge until you get to down to around a line from Kemmerer, Wy to Logan, Utah - that is a part of the northern Rockies with some beautiful views, tolerable winters, amazing outdoor activities and reasonable land and cost of living prices. Obviously the closer to Jackson or SLC, the more expensive, but there are still a ton of reasonable options close to great towns in the area I grew up without having to pay those prices.

Pinedale, Wy
Bondurant, Wy
Alpine, Wy
Thayne, Wy
Afton, Wy
Cokeville, Wy
Ashton, Id
Driggs, Id
Victor, Id
Idaho Falls, Id
Pocatello, Id
Soda Springs, Id
Montpellier, Id
Garden City, Ut
Logan, Ut

All of them are in great areas with a wide range of terrain from high desert with mountains to in the mountains and from populations of 100 in Bondurant, Wyoming to 6ok in Idaho Falls.

If you can handle January to the beginning/middle of April - or better yet find someplace to spend the winter once the fun of the snow wears off - then it is pretty amazing up there.

Lone Frog

Lurking with interest. Planning a move of my own in the future. Can't do anything now with the kiddo in school and my parents in their late 80s. But with summers getting hotter and the DFW population expected to grow by more than 50 percent in the next 10 years, I'm looking forward to getting the hell out of here.

Horny4TCU

You could ask Wyoming transfer Josh Doctson.
Currently lurking and pooping and this made me drop some pounds from laughter.

Also, watch out for the wind. Worked for an LTL company after I graduated and pups that would come from Wyoming would often have to be weighed down with cement stones (blocks 4,000 lbs and up) if the trailers were too light.

AroundWorldFrog

Evanston is ok but not the nicest part of the state - you would be better off going into Utah if being close to SLC is your goal - frankly the entire I-80 corridor is just not the best part of Wyoming. Better than Eastern Wyoming but you need to get north of Kemmerer and roughly stay west of an imaginary line up highway 189 and north to Cody if you want to be in the prime part of the state in my opinion.

If you get a map and look from Ashton, Idaho east to Pinedale, Wyoming and dead south from both with Highway 20 and I-15 the border on the west and basically highway 189 the eastern edge until you get to down to around a line from Kemmerer, Wy to Logan, Utah - that is a part of the northern Rockies with some beautiful views, tolerable winters, amazing outdoor activities and reasonable land and cost of living prices. Obviously the closer to Jackson or SLC, the more expensive, but there are still a ton of reasonable options close to great towns in the area I drew up without having to pay those prices.

Pinedale, Wy
Bondurant, Wy
Alpine, Wy
Thayne, Wy
Afton, Wy
Cokeville, Wy
Ashton, Id
Driggs, Id
Victor, Id
Idaho Falls, Id
Pocatello, Id
Soda Springs, Id
Montpellier, Id
Garden City, Ut
Logan, Ut

All of them are in great areas with a wide range of terrain from high desert with mountains to in the mountains and from populations of 100 in Bondurant, Wyoming to 6ok in Idaho Falls.

If you can handle January to the beginning/middle of April - or better yet find someplace to spend the winter once the fun of the snow wears off - then it is pretty amazing up there.

Thanks! That is almost exactly the area I'm trying to stay within. I know the I-80 corridor isn't the greatest, but if I have to take into account shipping for my business, there becomes a negative affect when I get too remote. Idaho Falls would be okay and I love the Victor area. Garden City is also nice. If I could live anywhere in that part of the country, it would probably be the Big Sky/Gallatin area. If you had to choose one strictly on the best fly fishing, which would it be.?