• The KillerFrogs

OT: Kevin Steele. He's back. In Tennessee

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
unnamed.jpg

Once just another failed Baylor head coach now is the savior of Tennessee

BY Big Steaming Pile

Had someone had told you in 2002 that Baylor coach Kevin Steele would go on to become the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers two decades later, you would have been better off putting down $25,000 that TCU would win a Rose Bowl.

Kevin Steele, one of the least successful head coaches at a school that for decades had the market on least successful coaches, is now the interim head coach of an SEC team that is one of the few to have won a national title in the modern era of college football.

After what essentially amounts to Tennessee deliberately finding NCAA violations to fire head coach Jeremy Pruitt with cause, this voiding the $12.6 million buyout, the Vols hired Steele.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article248602750.html

Punter1

unnamed.jpg

Once just another failed Baylor head coach now is the savior of Tennessee

BY Big Steaming Pile

Had someone had told you in 2002 that Baylor coach Kevin Steele would go on to become the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers two decades later, you would have been better off putting down $25,000 that TCU would win a Rose Bowl.

Kevin Steele, one of the least successful head coaches at a school that for decades had the market on least successful coaches, is now the interim head coach of an SEC team that is one of the few to have won a national title in the modern era of college football.

After what essentially amounts to Tennessee deliberately finding NCAA violations to fire head coach Jeremy Pruitt with cause, this voiding the $12.6 million buyout, the Vols hired Steele.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article248602750.html

Another horrible column with a non humorous, nonsensical shot at TCU...

Of coarse Steele won't be the permanent hire...classes started this week so someone has to run the team for a few weeks. So why write a story about a dude being named "temporary" coach?

I guess the TCU Showgirl restraining order hasn't expired yet so his lazy arse is trolling the internet bottom feeding on whatever he thinks he can crap his way into a column.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Last edited:

OICU812

Mac never misses a chance to take a shot at TCU. What a sad pos he is.

Years ago, can't remember how many, it was evident he was desperately seeking a hook to be relevant, and it was clearly not going to come from his writing ability. He actually admitted, in print, that Galloway had told him, "it's never too soon to go negative," or words to that effect. Randy always did that to great effect with the Cowboys and to a lesser degree with UT.

I think in that moment Mr. Randy did a disservice to everyone. What he apparently failed to mention along with that advice is that for the negative stuff to work, you have to have some people who actually give a [ Finebaum ] about hearing it. . . There's never been a shortage of readers in DFW and Texas who love to be pissed off about the Cowboys and Longhorns. The audience of people who are twisted off about TCU and love to hear venom about them, well that's pretty slim pickings.

The other thing that's failed miserably to sink in with him is you have to have some talent, and style, and a voice. He's largely bereft of the first, and hasn't bothered to acquire the rest. Whether you loved Gallo or hated him (I'm in the first camp) you have to admit he could spin a yarn and entertain the reader. Mac's just a talentless hack and feckless weasel who is still searching in vain for relevance that doesn't come through hard work and talent.

Froglaw

Years ago, can't remember how many, it was evident he was desperately seeking a hook to be relevant, and it was clearly not going to come from his writing ability. He actually admitted, in print, that Galloway had told him, "it's never too soon to go negative," or words to that effect. Randy always did that to great effect with the Cowboys and to a lesser degree with UT.

I think in that moment Mr. Randy did a disservice to everyone. What he apparently failed to mention along with that advice is that for the negative stuff to work, you have to have some people who actually give a [ #2020 ] about hearing it. . . There's never been a shortage of readers in DFW and Texas who love to be pissed off about the Cowboys and Longhorns. The audience of people who are twisted off about TCU and love to hear venom about them, well that's pretty slim pickings.

The other thing that's failed miserably to sink in with him is you have to have some talent, and style, and a voice. He's largely bereft of the first, and hasn't bothered to acquire the rest. Whether you loved Gallo or hated him (I'm in the first camp) you have to admit he could spin a yarn and entertain the reader. Mac's just a talentless hack and feckless weasel who is still searching in vain for relevance that doesn't come through hard work and talent.

Dead on.

I loved Randy.

He and I got to talk for about 20 minutes on a Cowboy Trip to New Orleans back in the Aikman days when the Boys were rolling and I was still a fan.

Jimmy was the coach and Jerry was off not screwing up the team.

He said that the Boys would be fine as long as Jimmy could run the team without Jerry interfering.

I hope Andy is making a boat load of money and Jerry signs the checks himself.

OICU812

Dead on.

I loved Randy.

He and I got to talk for about 20 minutes on a Cowboy Trip to New Orleans back in the Aikman days when the Boys were rolling and I was still a fan.

Jimmy was the coach and Jerry was off not screwing up the team.

He said that the Boys would be fine as long as Jimmy could run the team without Jerry interfering.

I hope Andy is making a boat load of money and Jerry signs the checks himself.

Betting that was a fun chat. I was always amused at his referring to Jerry as Ol' Socks & Jocks, and the Joneses generally as a bunch of hillbillies. I'm guessing that tickled Jimmy, as well. Wish he were still active in some form.

I've emailed back and forth with both he and Kevin Sherrington, have been impressed with both as really good dudes, as well as great writers.