• The KillerFrogs

OT Just moved to Ft. Bliss, El Paso

Long Time Lurker

Brother-in-law and I are going to the Wyoming vs New Mexico State game on Saturday night. Does anyone have any advice about where to go eat, where to park, and son. Thanks

Eight

FrogAbroad

• La Posta in Mesilla is always a good place for carne adobada
  • Chope's in La Mesa (a bit off I-10 before you get to the Mesilla exit) has a combination platter worth getting off the main road for
  • Nopalito in Las Cruces has some fine, fine enchiladas and chiles rellenos
  • Nellie's in Las Cruces has an amazing green chile stew

Last edited:

froginaustin

El Paso Mexican food is bitchin'. That from someone who would live on Austin/San Antonio TexMex if I didn't mind having a shorter life than I might otherwise have eating "healthy" most of the time.

At Fort Bliss, LTL is only about 4 hours (short drive, in that part of the world) from one of the neatest places on Earth-- Big Bend and the Fort Davis - Marfa area.

Eight

Chico's...

few years back i would go out to el paso for work and spend a week at a time. never failed while i was out there someone would tell me they had to take me to chico's.

was really underwhelmed with what i got from them. taco's, cheese enchiladas, and brisket are 3 things in this state it isn't hard to find quality plates and i just felt it was more of it being an el paso thing than a really good taco thing

Chongo94

few years back i would go out to el paso for work and spend a week at a time. never failed while i was out there someone would tell me they had to take me to chico's.

was really underwhelmed with what i got from them. taco's, cheese enchiladas, and brisket are 3 things in this state it isn't hard to find quality plates and i just felt it was more of it being an el paso thing than a really good taco thing

Agreed. So damn overrated. Never understood it. It’s basically junior high cafeteria food at that place.

Long Time Lurker

first, thanks for your service

second, you came to the tcu board for advice on where to park and eat at a game in las cruces?

don't trust the seafood and maybe try this for eating recommendations

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=restaurants&find_loc=Las+Cruces,+NM
Thanks. I assume there are some fellow alums living in this area and they might be able to give me some advice. I also, in error, thought we might have played the Aggies when we were in the WAC, but I see they are independent for football, and we have never played them: per winsipedia.com.

McFroggin

As someone with family out there, El Paso and Las Cruces are absolute [ Finebaum ]holes. This is where civilization goes to die.

The last time I saw a game at NMSU, I walked up and bought tickets on the 50 yard line. The school doesn’t care about football. It’s a high school stadium that struggles to afford football every year. They are more of a basketball school.

La Posta and Napolitos are good recommendations in LC. Lota Burger makes a good fast food green chile burger.

Brog

El Paso Mexican food is bitchin'. That from someone who would live on Austin/San Antonio TexMex if I didn't mind having a shorter life than I might otherwise have eating "healthy" most of the time.

At Fort Bliss, LTL is only about 4 hours (short drive, in that part of the world) from one of the neatest places on Earth-- Big Bend and the Fort Davis - Marfa area.

You got that exactly right, except you should say the Fort Davis-Alpine area.

Tom Brown

I was out there in El Paso last week. I even went and watched nmsu practice since theyd be on the tv twice in the next week.

I found a new spot in las cruces i dug called casita nueva, near campus

THE BEST Press box meal i ever ate was in the nmsu stadium, posole and chicken enchiladas.

About the stadium, most of the outside of the stadium is a hill and covered with lush green grass, but the field is turf. I loved the irony of that with a reputable turf grass program