• The KillerFrogs

OT - I need black boots.

Opintel

Moderators
I've decided to stop wearing regular dress shoes. They seem to hurt my old feet after a couple of hours (or less). Some Podiatrists like the support Cowboy Boots provide.

Any suggestions on where to get them?

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I am fond of boots from Hertitage Boots in Austin. They have some great retro styles . Also have a pair of Tecovas, which I have had on all day and love. Tecovas is sn online boot store. Good quality

Leddy’s has some great boots and all all prices, though.

OICU812

If you get them custom-made (which you can do a million places, but Leddy's in FW stockyards is pretty good), they should ask if you plan to wear them with thin socks or thick. I strongly suggest opting for thick for two reasons: You will be more comfortable in them right away, and also you will be able to wear them all day without worrying if your feet swell a bit.

froginaustin

I wore boots instead of dress shoes for at least 30 years. As I aged, boots felt too hot in warm weather.

Leddy’s is great. I never thought I could afford Charlie Dunn’s. Well made custom boots are in a class of their own. FWIW, the stinkinest boots I ever owned were kangaroo. I recommend avoiding kangaroo.

Ron Swanson

I have three pairs of Luchesses and they are very comfortable. Recommend

And you can get them for a reasonable price, especially considering they’re a lifetime boot. I think I got the pair I wear most regularly (brown calf skin I believe) for $299.

netty2424

Anderson Bean fit my feet great and they are very responsibly priced. They'll stretch and form to your feet as you break them in(as most boots will). You'll just need to try a few on to see which ones feel right.

Paint It Purple

I have three pairs of Luchesses and they are very comfortable. Recommend

And you can get them for a reasonable price, especially considering they’re a lifetime boot. I think I got the pair I wear most regularly (brown calf skin I believe) for $299.
I honestly don't intend to sound pretentious but any lucchese boot in the last 5-7 years offered for under $500 is Lucchese's entry into the mass produced inferior quality boot. They may be equal to a decent boot from several makers, but they do not equal the original Lucchese custom class of boot. In other words.....beware.

FrogFrog

I wore boots instead of dress shoes for at least 30 years. As I aged, boots felt too hot in warm weather.

Leddy’s is great. I never thought I could afford Charlie Dunn’s. Well made custom boots are in a class of their own. FWIW, the stinkinest boots I ever owned were kangaroo. I recommend avoiding kangaroo.

I had a pair of Luccheses that I wore a lot and loved them. Got a few pairs of Leddys and now the Luccheses are gathering dust in my closet. Both are great so it will all depend on price point.

Paint It Purple

Anderson Bean fit my feet great and they are very responsibly priced. They'll stretch and form to your feet as you break them in(as most boots will). You'll just need to try a few on to see which ones feel right.
Anderson Bean is a great boot IMO. I have a couple of pair and are covered in grease and west Texas dust. Highly recommended.

Paint It Purple

I had a pair of Luccheses that I wore a lot and loved them. Got a few pairs of Leddys and now the Luccheses are gathering dust in my closet. Both are great so it will all depend on price point.
Do you know if the Leddys of San Angelo pre dated other locations? Long ago I coveted a pair of leddy's but at the time couldn't afford. Wish I had a pair

FrogFrog

Do you know if the Leddys of San Angelo pre dated other locations? Long ago I coveted a pair of leddy's but at the time couldn't afford. Wish I had a pair

Your question got me curious so I looked it up:

Throughout its 85-year history, Leddy’s has been owned and run by the same family. In 1918, M.L. Leddy left his parents’ cotton farm to work for a saddle and bootmaking business in the little West Texas town of Brady. He bought the business in 1922, then moved it 50 miles west to San Angelo in 1936. He opened his flagship store in the booming Fort Worth Stockyards in 1941

Paint It Purple

Your question got me curious so I looked it up:

Throughout its 85-year history, Leddy’s has been owned and run by the same family. In 1918, M.L. Leddy left his parents’ cotton farm to work for a saddle and bootmaking business in the little West Texas town of Brady. He bought the business in 1922, then moved it 50 miles west to San Angelo in 1936. He opened his flagship store in the booming Fort Worth Stockyards in 1941
Great info. Thanks. I'm not sure, but sadly, I think the San Angelo location no longer exists. It's a dying art I guess, and custom boots are beyond most folks budgets