• The KillerFrogs

OT: I-35W

LVH

What a massive trainwreck this highway is.

I feel its been under construction since I was at TCU 10 years ago. Will it ever finish?

Always traffic on this highway. Especially South Bound between Heritage Trace and 820 and then starting again at Northside.

I even see the express lanes that people have to pay for having to sit in traffic in the express lanes sometimes.

This morning they had I35W going northbound shut down to only one lane for construction. Took me damn near an hour to get from Allen to Belknap.

I always fear for my life when I am on I35W with all the traffic shifts, narrow lanes, construction and moron drivers.

I live near downtown now and signed up for Lifetime Fitness up on Golden Triangle since its only a 10 minute drive without traffic from where I live. I35 going north isn't as bad but there are still slowdowns. And southbound always takes at least half an hour to get home.

HToady

I haven't been on I35 since mid February, coming in from New Mexico. Was traveling around 80 in the express lane and people were passing me going at least 100. There is no shoulder and nowhere for the cops to pull anyone over for speeding, and they know that.
Two weeks later was the massive pileup...in the same spot. You can blame ice if you want to, to me it was drive insanity!

tcudoc

Adding lanes does little or nothing to improve traffic congestion. This phenomenon is known as induced traffic demand.
It helps a little...a little bit
CheeryFoolhardyArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Adding lanes does little or nothing to improve traffic congestion. This phenomenon is known as induced traffic demand.
Huh?

Congestion is caused by numerous things, chief of which is bad design. When a 5 lane freeway is suddenly divided into a two lane-three lane, there will be congestion. (See: US 59 at Spur 527, Downtown Houston) Not preparing for this sudden change in space for the volume of traffic causes problems. Especially so when the fools designing the road run the mandatory exit off the two left lanes. Imbeciles...

Adding lanes increases the amount of space, and thus the number of vehicles that can be comfortably driven at speed. Sudden decreases in this amount of space causes problems. Arguing that the addition of space "does little or nothing" is ludicrous. The real issues are the choke points in which space is suddenly severely constricted for the volume of traffic present, such as in the example above.

Pharm Frog

Ha! I actually thought about starting a thread on this topic on Tuesday after I was subjected to the misery that is I-35W in north Tarrant County. Every time I think they’ve reached the pinnacle of ineptitude they manage to summit a significantly higher peak of insanity previously beyond imagination.

No lie…I returned home on Thursday via the Bailey Turnpike through WF and down through Jacksboro and Weatherford. Map estimated that to be 3 minutes faster than I-35 anyway (home is outside Granbury but usually the WF route is 35-40m longer). Told Mrs Pharm that I’ll never travel that stretch of I-35 again…and I won’t. FWIW — Gainesville, Paul’s Valley, and Purcell are no picnics either.

Long Time Lurker

Ha! I actually thought about starting a thread on this topic on Tuesday after I was subjected to the misery that is I-35W in north Tarrant County. Every time I think they’ve reached the pinnacle of ineptitude they manage to summit a significantly higher peak of insanity previously beyond imagination.

No lie…I returned home on Thursday via the Bailey Turnpike through WF and down through Jacksboro and Weatherford. Map estimated that to be 3 minutes faster than I-35 anyway (home is outside Granbury but usually the WF route is 35-40m longer). Told Mrs Pharm that I’ll never travel that stretch of I-35 again…and I won’t. FWIW — Gainesville, Paul’s Valley, and Purcell are no picnics either.

Yep I am in Edmond, took us 6 hours to get home from Fort Worth couple a weeks ago. It’s was a Friday and raining. I’m gonna start taking 287 to 44 and come In from the west, save my sanity.

Pharm Frog

Yep I am in Edmond, took us 6 hours to get home from Fort Worth couple a weeks ago. It’s was a Friday and raining. I’m gonna start taking 287 to 44 and come In from the west, save my sanity.

I thought you were in Belton for some reason. FWIW - there aren’t many roadways that scare me that don’t involve mountain passes but that section between Denton and Gainesville is frightening.

Froglaw

Who makes up 90% of the Engineers at TxDOT?

Aggies.

I scream "stupid Aggie" whenever I hit a freeway to freeway merge when the idiot highway engineer thought "let's just merge these three lanes into one so we can back up traffic on both highways".

Freaking stupidity. Makes you wonder if the designers ever drive on their sadistic "death trap" creation.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I moved back to FW 4+ years ago. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been on 35 north of downtown past 820 that were not related to traveling out of state. Just no reason to ever go that way for any other reason. Sometimes we go all the way to 75 in Dallas to go north. It’s a stupid freeway.

And on that note, I started making the drive from FW to Dallas almost four years ago. In that time the express lane in Arlington had never been open and the number of lanes near 360 have been reduced. They must be getting paid by the hour to add the interchange there.

PO Frog

Huh?

Congestion is caused by numerous things, chief of which is bad design. When a 5 lane freeway is suddenly divided into a two lane-three lane, there will be congestion. (See: US 59 at Spur 527, Downtown Houston) Not preparing for this sudden change in space for the volume of traffic causes problems. Especially so when the fools designing the road run the mandatory exit off the two left lanes. Imbeciles...

Adding lanes increases the amount of space, and thus the number of vehicles that can be comfortably driven at speed. Sudden decreases in this amount of space causes problems. Arguing that the addition of space "does little or nothing" is ludicrous. The real issues are the choke points in which space is suddenly severely constricted for the volume of traffic present, such as in the example above.
He’s not referring to more lanes not helping initially. But studies have shown that it just drives more traffic/people to the area and you end up with the same original problem. Ie, demand induced traffic.

LVH

I made the mistake trying to exit Golden Triangle going North in I35W. They have that exit turned into a single lane as well, so you'll sit on the exit ramp for a good 15-20 minutes. Never again. Now I exit Heritage Trace and go around.

Can't forget the bottleneck caused by the 820 exit ramp going southbound in I35W after Western Center because construction has that shut down to a single lane as well. And there is no way around it - you can't go on the access road.

Long Time Lurker

I thought you were in Belton for some reason. FWIW - there aren’t many roadways that scare me that don’t involve mountain passes but that section between Denton and Gainesville is frightening.
I was in Belton last you and I talked. I went to Fort Bliss for a couple of years and retired from the Army. I now work for DHS at the federal building in down town OKC.

Paul in uhh

I moved back to FW 4+ years ago. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been on 35 north of downtown past 820 that were not related to traveling out of state. Just no reason to ever go that way for any other reason. Sometimes we go all the way to 75 in Dallas to go north. It’s a stupid freeway.

And on that note, I started making the drive from FW to Dallas almost four years ago. In that time the express lane in Arlington had never been open and the number of lanes near 360 have been reduced. They must be getting paid by the hour to add the interchange there.
I can’t recall any express lanes on 39 ever being open