• The KillerFrogs

OT- greatest 80’s and 90’s cheesy action movies

Purp

The mid-90s Nic Cage trilogy: Con Air, The Rock, Face/Off.
Wasn't Gone in 60 Seconds in the 90s? I'll watch that any time it's on.

Another one I thought of was Unlawful Entry. Ray Liotta and Kurt Russell entertaining in that one.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Surely the Die Hard movies have been mentioned. A personal favorite was Toy Soldiers. Executive Decision was scrong even though Steven Seagal was only in it for about 5 minutes until he died. Under Siege is another Seagal movie I recall enjoying often back in the day. Murder at 1600 is more of a murder mystery than action movie, but it does have a lot of action in it. Loved that one. I'm sure I'll remember others as I read through.

Toy Soldiers is the [ Finebaum ].

Purp

Anybody ever see Only the Strong? Couldn't remember the title so I had consult Google. This should qualify as I'm pretty sure the Brazilian martial arts instructor has a few run-ins with local street/drug gangs. It's got a more serious plot, though.

Frog-in-law1995

Did anybody say Goonies yet? Clash of the Titans? Highlander? Tron? Karate Kid? The Lost Boys? Broken Arrow? Time Bandits? War Games? Escape From New York? Blade Runner? The list is seemingly never ending.

Which reminds me...The Neverending Story?

Also, Cop Land was very underrated, imho.

PO Frog

Surely the Die Hard movies have been mentioned. A personal favorite was Toy Soldiers. Executive Decision was scrong even though Steven Seagal was only in it for about 5 minutes until he died. Under Siege is another Seagal movie I recall enjoying often back in the day. Murder at 1600 is more of a murder mystery than action movie, but it does have a lot of action in it. Loved that one. I'm sure I'll remember others as I read through.

ETA: Looks like the Seagal movies got covered and Die Hard probably doesn't qualify as cheesy enough, though I'd argue the stuns and effects in those movies now as opposed to then are pretty cheesy.
Toy Soldiers was strong

Chongo94

Wasn't Gone in 60 Seconds in the 90s? I'll watch that any time it's on.

Another one I thought of was Unlawful Entry. Ray Liotta and Kurt Russell entertaining in that one.

Unlawful Entry, forgot about that one. That’s a good one.

Limp Lizard

I left in the summer of 1991 to head to medical school. I started as a cook, moved to waiter, then back to cook, then to bartender for the last couple of years. My friend stayed with the company and moved up through management, general manager, regional manager, then franchise store owner. I'm a minority owner in his Cheddar's in Missouri. The Bedford store was the third Cheddar's ever to exist and the employees from that store helped with the openings of subsequent Cheddar's in South Arlington, Desoto, etc. I worked there when it was pretty small time. They are a much better restaurant now than they were back then. The corporate stores were recently bought by Darden, which owns Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse and others. It will be interesting to see what they will do with the brand. Hopefully, they don't ruin it. That would be a bigger travesty than Whataburger in my world.
Darden will likely come around to our store in Missouri wanting to buy it back. It has been a great source of "mailbox money" over the past decade. It was supposed to develop into several locations in Missouri, but Cheddar's stopped allowing franchises soon after ours opened.
I know the son of the owner is one of the ones who made the decision to sell to Darden and he immediately regretted it. It has been a gold mine for the owners and they likely let it go far too cheap from what I have heard.
When I moved back into the area in the early 80's Cheddars in Bedford was my go-to place. Back then very good chicken fried steak and super bean-and-cheese nachos. The Cheddars nachos now are merely a ghost of what they were. Just individual chips with some spicy meat stuff on them. Ugh! Another example (see Whataburger buyout thread) of the buying company turning the good food that made the chain into the same old junk.

tcudoc

When I moved back into the area in the early 80's Cheddars in Bedford was my go-to place. Back then very good chicken fried steak and super bean-and-cheese nachos. The Cheddars nachos now are merely a ghost of what they were. Just individual chips with some spicy meat stuff on them. Ugh! Another example (see Whataburger buyout thread) of the buying company turning the good food that made the chain into the same old junk.
I may have cooked or served some of your early meals. I agree about the nachos. They were simple, yet excellent. Now they are fancy and not as good. Most of the rest of the menu has been improved though. All of the changes you describe occurred long before eh sale to Darden FWIW.

Ron Swanson

I only go to cheddars when I go visit my one customer in Beaumont and take them out to lunch. That’s where they always want to go. I am pretty anti large corporate chain restaurants, but I have to say that the food at cheddars is pretty dang good. I got a burger last time and it was solid as hell

PurpleBlood87

Anybody mentioned Steven Seagal yet?

His early career was absolute greatness...

Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Marked for Death
Out for Justice
Under Seige
On Deadly Ground
Under Seige 2

Above the Law was awesome.

When I saw that I was sure that Steven Segal should play Batman. But Micheal Keaton got the nod.

Limp Lizard

I have been wracking my brain to get the name of a really silly action pic...finally thought of it. Remo Williams the Adventure Begins. Guy left for dead was recruited by ultra secret agency to fight bad guys. Mentored by Asian guy who could dodge bullets and run on water. Really a fun, silly movie. Tried to end it setting it us as a series.... that failed. Definitely cheesy, definitely something I watch whenever it is on.

Zubaz

Favorite 90s action movie by year? Mine:

1990: Total Recall
1991: Terminator 2
1992: Under Siege
1993: Demolition Man / The Fugitve tie
1994: True Lies (imo the last truly great Arnold movie), just barely edging Speed
1995: Die Hard III. This was a tough one, 95 was STACKED with classics like Bad Boys, Mortal Kombat, Desperado, Heat, and Goldeneye
1996: The Rock, though this was another excellent year with Independence Day, Executive Decision, Twister, and Dusk Til Dawn
1997: Con Air
1998: Armageddon. I didn't include Saving Private Ryan because this is the cheese list.
1999: Matrix