• The KillerFrogs

OT- Ft Worth Stock Show & Rodeo

netty2424

Been years since we’ve been back to the stock show, but planning on it this year as it starts back on the 17th.

Any regulars have any pro tips, best days to go, fun things for kids to do that might be off the beaten path, etc?

@Mean Purple I believe spends some time there? Anyone else?
https://www.fwssr.com/

Frog-in-law1995

Gave up our family box after 40 years. Kinda sad about it, but interest has waned to the point that it’s time to let another family start a tradition. I’ll go back if Tallman announces an upcoming retirement, but that’s about it.

Tumbleweed

Netty...most likely you've waited to late to purchase tickets to any performance. If you want go to the rodeo in 2021 you need to do it now.

I've been told the rodeo will be held in the new Dickies arena. I've been to Dickies three times and it doesn't have the expanse for a first class rodeo.

They had the information to make that decision. Think one of the concerns was up keep of the original arena - control cost etc but Dickies just doesn't have the feel. It won't make any difference to the new generation, they have no basis to judge. It's been a money maker for generations.

I've been to the rodeo a few times and enjoyed every minute but in later years I looked forward to the exhibits more than the rodeo. Ha.... I remember Roy Rogers and Trigger ....absolutely bringing the house down when they rode out to the center. The place 'roared' with whistles, screams and pure admiration. And Trigger. You couldn't get close to his stall or the barn. It was a madhouse just trying to see Trigger. Roy was unbelievably popular and represented wonderful values for the kids.

Chongo94

Netty...most likely you've waited to late to purchase tickets to any performance. If you want go to the rodeo in 2021 you need to do it now.

I've been told the rodeo will be held in the new Dickies arena. I've been to Dickies three times and it doesn't have the expanse for a first class rodeo.

They had the information to make that decision. Think one of the concerns was up keep of the original arena - control cost etc but Dickies just doesn't have the feel. It won't make any difference to the new generation, they have no basis to judge. It's been a money maker for generations.

I've been to the rodeo a few times and enjoyed every minute but in later years I looked forward to the exhibits more than the rodeo. Ha.... I remember Roy Rogers and Trigger ....absolutely bringing the house down when they rode out to the center. The place 'roared' with whistles, screams and pure admiration. And Trigger. You couldn't get close to his stall or the barn. It was a madhouse just trying to see Trigger. Roy was unbelievably popular and represented wonderful values for the kids.

I too questioned how Dickies would affect the feel of the rodeo this year. Will be interested to find out.

Tumbleweed

If your a good rodeo announcer, you can host anything!

For better than two hours you have to have a wealth of knowledge about each rider, animal and it took years and years to develop a style. Tallman is on a plateau all by himself.

All bets are off now with the new arena. No clue how it's going to affect things as far as overall experience. In years past I would probably go at least 10 times for work and 2-3 times with the family. We had pins for the Reata Backstage so it was always a great place to take clients but this year will be open to the public sonI doubt it will be like it was. If you're not going to the rodeo then walking through the expo halls and drinking beer is always a favorite. The roadhouse will be right outside the arena, as it was at the Coliseum and you can get it with a fee if you don't have a rodeo ticket.

Frog-in-law1995

If your a good rodeo announcer, you can host anything!

For better than two hours you have to have a wealth of knowledge about each rider, animal and it took years and years to develop a style. Tallman is on a plateau all by himself.

He’s between Eric Nadel and Brad Sham on my list of voices I will miss the most when they retire.

He’s between Eric Nadel and Brad Sham on my list of voices I will miss the most when they retire.

I was in an elevator with him a few years ago. He got in first and hit his floor then turned to me in 100% drawn-out announcer voice "whhhhich floor for you tonight young man?"

It was almost as cool as the time Nadel and I threw something away in the same recycle bin at the same time.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Now I'm tellin' ya. the chuck wagon race will be something to see. If your on the inside all you have to do is point your lead horse, run 20 yards and do it all over till the end. Sure, I'm having some fun here and it is a beautiful venue and people will compliment the building.

Pharm Frog

Wouldn’t mind some ideas for good eating at the stock show. Haven’t been impressed with stock show dining the last two years but it’s probably my poor selections.

BABYFACE

Wouldn’t mind some ideas for good eating at the stock show. Haven’t been impressed with stock show dining the last two years but it’s probably my poor selections.

Gone annually as guest of a local bank. The seats are box seats up against the railing and the dirt. Haven’t been hit with any flying poo, but have had some dirt kicked up on us occasionally.

As food, usually order the charcuterie board with a few beers from box seat wait staff. So, Pharm, I am probably the wrong person to ask about the food. I would be happy with fried cheddar peppers if they offered them.