• The KillerFrogs

OT: FOX's Tim Brando torches CFB Playoff committee, talks of 'corrupt system' and 'Alabama privilege

Zubaz

I'm still trying to understand where this idea that Alabama is privileged comes from. When did they ever get special treatment?
I mean, you're on Page 3 of a thread where people are arguing they are getting special treatment RIGHT NOW.

Maybe it will change. As I said I think these midseason rankings are silly to get worked up about. Entirely possible that Baylor, OU, Utah, Oregon all end up with 2 losses and we end up with 1-loss Alabama back in the running. We'll find out.

But if you're looking for when they've gotten special treatment? Now. Now's when.
228b1104311c16cf0613db807b055804.jpg

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I can hardly stand to listen the stupidity is so rampant. I'm still trying to understand where this idea that Alabama is privileged comes from. When did they ever get special treatment? When should the committee have not selected Alabama, and who should they have selected in their place? Alabama never loses more than one game a year and beats the living crap out of any average or even above average team they play. Every single year, including this year so far. Who else does that?

The whole "Alabama privilege" narrative is just complete media fabricated [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].
It’s the media that gives them the privilege, you mook.

Wexahu

I mean, you're on Page 3 of a thread where people are arguing they are getting special treatment RIGHT NOW.

Maybe it will change. As I said I think these midseason rankings are silly to get worked up about. Entirely possible that Baylor, OU, Utah, Oregon all end up with 2 losses and we end up with 1-loss Alabama back in the running. We'll find out.

But if you're looking for when they've gotten special treatment? Now. Now's when.
228b1104311c16cf0613db807b055804.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've heard that Alabama "always" gets special treatment and that's basically the argument. Otherwise, if it was just about now, more people would be in an outrage over Georgia being ranked #4. The idea of Alabama priviledge didn't just rear it's head in the past week. You tell me, when have they EVER received special treatment, and if they did, which team deserved to be in their place?

H0RNEDFR0G

Wex harps on this notion that Alabama didn't get any special treatment in 2017.

Alabama had 1 loss. Ohio State had 2 losses. Both teams had 11 wins.

At the time of the final CFP:
  • Ohio State was on a 4 game winning streak and had just won their conference championship game against #6 ranked Wisconsin.
  • Alabama was on a 1 game losing streak, had the last week of the season off, and the team that beat them lost the SEC conference championship.
In non-conference, Alabama played an FCS school, 2 Mountain West teams, and their sole P5 opponent was an abysmally bad 7-6 Florida State.

Ohio State played Oklahoma, who wound up ranked #2, a Mountain West team, and Army - no FCS teams. One of their losses was to #2 Oklahoma. It seems like they were punished for having a good SOS.

In the four team playoff format, a team that wasn't able to prove that they were the best in their conference, should NOT be given an opportunity to prove that they are the best in the nation. In it's current state, the conference championship SHOULD be an elimination game. If you don't make it to that game, you're out of contention.

Not only did Alabama not win their conference in 2017. Auburn, the team that beat Bama, ALSO didn't win their conference. If the conference championship games don't mean anything, we should stop playing them.

The CFP committee robbed Penn State in 2016. Penn State defeats Wisconsin in the B1G Championship, and the CFPC sends Ohio State to the playoff.

People are upset because the CFPC ranking Bama at 5, is being seen as setting them up to sneak into the playoff and rob another P5 champ of a chance to play for a national title.

They need to expand the playoff to 8 teams. 5 autobids for P5 Champs, 1 autobid for the highest ranked G5, and 2 spots so they can still let in Alabama and Ohio State.

Last edited:

Froggish

People need to stop thinking that the playoff is about finding the best 4 teams. It’s about finding the 4 most deserving teams...Those are two very different goals..Alabama is so much better than Baylor and Minny it’s not even funny. However because Bama lost a game that makes them less deserving in the eyes of system

AroundWorldFrog

People need to stop thinking that the playoff is about finding the best 4 teams. It’s about finding the 4 most deserving teams...Those are two very different goals..Alabama is so much better than Baylor and Minny it’s not even funny. However because Bama lost a game that makes them less deserving in the eyes of system
Lots of people thought PSU was so much better than Minnie that it's not even funny. Until they lost.

Casey T

This is where I disagree. I think if you forget the names and call Alabama Team A, Baylor Team B, and Minnesota Team C and just line up their resumes side by side, who they played, where they played, and what the final score was.........I think it would be plainly obvious that Team A is the best team of the three. Doesn't that mean they have the better "resume" as well?

Spent 20 minutes looking into this because I'm curious and am killing time till my dinner finishes in the oven:

Team A: 2 ranked wins, 0 losses, 3 wins over P5 w/winning record, 2 cupcakes, 4 road games, MOV over P5: 6.8
56-17 vs 2-8 FCS
63-14 vs 4-5 G5
21-13 @ 0-9 G5
23-21 vs 5-4 P5
31-12 @ #6-3 P5, ranked #24
33-30 2OT vs 4-5 P5
45-27 @ 6-3 P5, ranked #22
17-14 vs 3-5 P5
29-23 (3OT) @ 4-5 P5

Team B: 0 ranked wins, 1 loss, 1 win over P5 w/winning record, 1 cupcake, 2 road games, MOV over P5: 24
42-3 vs 4-5 P5
62-10 vs 0-9 Independent
47-23 @ 4-6 P5
49-7 vs 6-3 G5
59-31 vs 4-6 P5
47-28 @ 6-3 P5
35-13 vs 5-5 P5
48-7 vs 2-8 P5
41-46 vs 9-0 P5, Loss to #1

Team C: 1 top 10 ranked win, 0 losses, 2 wins over P5 w/winning record, 1 cupcake, 3 road games, MOV over P5: 23
28-21 vs 7-3 FCS
38-35 (2OT) @ 4-5 G5
35-32 vs 5-4 G5
38-31 @ 4-6 P5
40-17 vs 6-4 P5
34-7 vs 4-5 P5
42-7 @ 2-7 P5
52-10 vs 3-7 P5
31-26 vs 8-1 P5, ranked #9

To summarize... team B is Bama. They have less wins over P5 teams with winning records than the other two, the same amount of cupcakes as Minnesota but one less than baylor, less road games than Baylor or Minnesota, 0 ranked wins, and their margin of victory is only 1 point better than Minnesota. I don't know how you can look at that and rank Minnesota as low as the committee has. After the early close games, they have dominated almost everyone and beaten a top ten team.

The question then becomes... are Baylor's 2 more ranked wins, 1 less loss, 2 more wins over P5 teams w/winning records, 1 less cupcake, and 2 more road games worth more or less than Bama's margin of victory being 17 points better? You tell me

Wexahu

Spent 20 minutes looking into this because I'm curious and am killing time till my dinner finishes in the oven:

Team A: 2 ranked wins, 0 losses, 3 wins over P5 w/winning record, 2 cupcakes, 4 road games, MOV over P5: 6.8
56-17 vs 2-8 FCS
63-14 vs 4-5 G5
21-13 @ 0-9 G5
23-21 vs 5-4 P5
31-12 @ #6-3 P5, ranked #24
33-30 2OT vs 4-5 P5
45-27 @ 6-3 P5, ranked #22
17-14 vs 3-5 P5
29-23 (3OT) @ 4-5 P5

Team B: 0 ranked wins, 1 loss, 1 win over P5 w/winning record, 1 cupcake, 2 road games, MOV over P5: 24
42-3 vs 4-5 P5
62-10 vs 0-9 Independent
47-23 @ 4-6 P5
49-7 vs 6-3 G5
59-31 vs 4-6 P5
47-28 @ 6-3 P5
35-13 vs 5-5 P5
48-7 vs 2-8 P5
41-46 vs 9-0 P5, Loss to #1

Team C: 1 top 10 ranked win, 0 losses, 2 wins over P5 w/winning record, 1 cupcake, 3 road games, MOV over P5: 23
28-21 vs 7-3 FCS
38-35 (2OT) @ 4-5 G5
35-32 vs 5-4 G5
38-31 @ 4-6 P5
40-17 vs 6-4 P5
34-7 vs 4-5 P5
42-7 @ 2-7 P5
52-10 vs 3-7 P5
31-26 vs 8-1 P5, ranked #9

To summarize... team B is Bama. They have less wins over P5 teams with winning records than the other two, the same amount of cupcakes as Minnesota but one less than baylor, less road games than Baylor or Minnesota, 0 ranked wins, and their margin of victory is only 1 point better than Minnesota. I don't know how you can look at that and rank Minnesota as low as the committee has. After the early close games, they have dominated almost everyone and beaten a top ten team.

The question then becomes... are Baylor's 2 more ranked wins, 1 less loss, 2 more wins over P5 teams w/winning records, 1 less cupcake, and 2 more road games worth more or less than Bama's margin of victory being 17 points better? You tell me

Seems to me you're almost completing ignoring Minnesota beating their three lousy OOC opponents by a combined total of 13 points. Why do you pretty much exclude those games from your analysis? And I'd strongly argue that winning by 19 AT College Station is more impressive than winning by 5 at home against PSU.

I think if you look at Team B's and Team C's results side by side and ask me to bet on who would win a game between the two, I'd pick Team B every single time. Nobody has come close to beating them except when they played the #1 team in the country.

Mean Purple

Well I don’t see how espn is complaining because they’re the ones who benefit. That’s why it’s a load of [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ].
RT, you just hit on something that is a big issue that nobody seems to mention. How is it that ESPN gets the sole first dibs on the reporting of the rankings? Yes, I get they pay for it, but that should be opened up just like the release of the ap polls, etc. Payment for bowl coverage, etc. is one thing. But having sole access to committee room workings and first release of the ranking seems odd.

Eight

RT, you just hit on something that is a big issue that nobody seems to mention. How is it that ESPN gets the sole first dibs on the reporting of the rankings? Yes, I get they pay for it, but that should be opened up just like the release of the ap polls, etc. Payment for bowl coverage, etc. is one thing. But having sole access to committee room workings and first release of the ranking seems odd.

espn is basically who created this freaking mess.

who owns the bowls for the most part? espn

who controls the cfp? espn

who talks about this [ Finebaum ] 247365? espn

the cfp is nothing more than reality television and yet people fall for this [ Finebaum ] hook line and sinker each and every year

Rose Bowl

So Wex you honestly think the Aggies are better than PSU? Even in the land of collies PSU would win. Bama has a great offense but the one team that could score did so almost at will against them.

Eight

So Wex you honestly think the Aggies are better than PSU? Even in the land of collies PSU would win. Bama has a great offense but the one team that could score did so almost at will against them.

so psu is good because of beating michigan?

the big lie is that this system makes the regular season count, but obviously the regular season doesn't count the same for every team

Wexahu

No, but I think beating them by 19 on the road is a better win than beating Penn State by 5 at home. I mean, what the hell, how do you equate that to me thinking the Aggies are better than Penn State. Do you completely ignore home field advantage AND 14 points?

What would Penn State's record be right now if they had played Clemson, Auburn and Alabama? It's so easy to say team x "beat a 3-loss" team and team y "beat a top 10 team" but look into the facts a little bit.

It's almost comical, for years all you hear on here is how pathetic the Big 10 West is and then Minnesota draws that schedule PLUS crossover games against Maryland and Rutgers, two of the absolute worst D1 teams out there, and all the sudden nobody wants to bring up that fact, AND they had some really close calls against some very average OOC teams. Alabama beats the [ Finebaum ] out of everyone that isn't really good, but I guess that doesn't matter because it doesn't help anyone's argument against them. They've got a bar so much higher than anyone else it's a joke.