• The KillerFrogs

OT: FOX's Tim Brando torches CFB Playoff committee, talks of 'corrupt system' and 'Alabama privilege

PurpleBlood87

Tim Brando must be an idiot. Sometimes I can't tell if people are just doing a bit or if they really are totally ignorant.

Alabama has absolutely curb stomped everyone they've played except the team that most consider the best in the country. Winning margins averaging 33 points. Minnesota meanwhile has a 7-point win over South Dakota State, a-3 point win over Fresno State, a 3-point win over Georgia Southern, and a 7-point win over Purdue. Baylor has a 8-point win over Rice, needed a miracle to beat Texas Tech, beat West Virginia at home by 3, and need triple overtime to beat TCU. Neither team would be undefeated had they played LSU and there isn't one sane person in the country, Tim Brando included, that would take either of those teams and probably about 14 points if they played Alabama. So spare me the outrage Tim Brando. If I'm on the committee and I rank either Baylor or Minnesota above Alabama based on what they've done thus far in the season I'm pretty much feeling like a total dumbass.

And I always hear about all the Alabama privilege from all these idiot pundits. Is it privilege? Or is it the fact they are 69-4 in the regular season in the CFP era, have probably only played a few more than a handful of competitive games, and haven't lost to an unranked team in I think more than a decade? I can tell you, if Minnesota or Baylor start beating the [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] out of everyone they play and go on a 69-4 run, they'll get theirs. And even this year, all they have to do is keep winning and they'll be fine and will pass Alabama. Probably can't lose, but that's what you get for barely getting by in so many games against crap teams. At some point the eye test does need to come into play, unless we just want to penalize a team for being too good for too long and put another team in there just because everyone is sick of Alabama.

If there's one thing I criticize the committee for, it's for putting Georgia ahead of Alabama. That was stupid, but probably done to appease all the anti-Bama people out there. And it will eventually all work itself out anyway like it always does.

Thinking like this is how in 2014 Florida State got into the playoffs. The Seminoles slipped past team after team and because they were the defending national champs they got ino the playoffs and were destroyed by Oregon in the semifinals.

Wexahu

Thinking like this is how in 2014 Florida State got into the playoffs. The Seminoles slipped past team after team and because they were the defending national champs they got ino the playoffs and were destroyed by Oregon in the semifinals.

If either Minnesota or Baylor finish the season undefeated they will be in the playoffs. And apparently nobody here will have a problem with it. I won't either. Not sure why anyone has/had a problem with FSU making it in 2014. Them being some average team is a little bit hyperbole too. They were the only undefeated team and it's not like they played a bad schedule, in fact they played more P5 teams than anyone else in the entire country that year.

Zubaz

Thinking like this is how in 2014 Florida State got into the playoffs. The Seminoles slipped past team after team and because they were the defending national champs they were the only undefeated P5 team they got ino the playoffs and were destroyed by Oregon in the semifinals.
Fixed that for you.

JockO de Frog

And it's fine if you think the A&M win is more impressive (even though Baylor did it twice to Alabama only doing it once). If we were comparing 1-loss teams perhaps there would be a debate. That's certainly not enough to justify a 1-loss team over an undefeated team though.
So, what you're saying is that in 2014, Florida State who was undefeated was the better team and should have gotten in which they did, instead of TCU.

Zubaz

So, what you're saying is that in 2014, Florida State who was undefeated was the better team and should have gotten in which they did, instead of TCU.
Correct. I have zero problem with FSU being chosen over TCU whatsoever. The debate was always for the other 3 spots between the 5 teams vying for them. FSU was in.

dawg

It was more that they went 13-0 while beating 12 P5 teams that season. Their OOC was Okie St, Florida, and Notre Dame. Go unbeaten while facing 12 P5 opponents, however you beat them, and you deserve a shot at the MNC.

Casey T

People are pissed because in the past, the committee has valued resume over how good they think a team is. As someone here put it, if it was simply picking the four best teams, bama would probably be automatic every year. In that case, why play the games. In 2014 we were one of the four best teams but didn't get in because the other resumes looked better than ours thanks to OU tanking and the baylor loss.

For them to put bama at 5, when they have zero ranked wins and a loss, is a joke. baylor has beaten two ranked teams, minnesota beat a top 10 team and both have zero losses.

Having said that, the final rankings are the only ones that matter. But if you think these mid-season rankings give us a look into how the committee thinks, this is disturbing and has been every year they've done them. The 'criteria' they grade on changes and is more based on brand name and conference. Baylor and Minn have a better resume than bama even if they aren't a better team.

Mean Purple

Nobody should be shocked about this. Many pointed the problem of what would happen when the committee format was announced.
Think about it. As select committee, with not event he criteria of the BCS, is going to meet and pick who are the 4 teams. No way that they are watching enough football to measure any of this. It was to cover for the money brand. Not sure why folks thought it would be any different.

Wexahu

Baylor and Minn have a better resume than bama even if they aren't a better team.

This is where I disagree. I think if you forget the names and call Alabama Team A, Baylor Team B, and Minnesota Team C and just line up their resumes side by side, who they played, where they played, and what the final score was.........I think it would be plainly obvious that Team A is the best team of the three. Doesn't that mean they have the better "resume" as well?

Wexahu

Nobody should be shocked about this. Many pointed the problem of what would happen when the committee format was announced.
Think about it. As select committee, with not event he criteria of the BCS, is going to meet and pick who are the 4 teams. No way that they are watching enough football to measure any of this. It was to cover for the money brand. Not sure why folks thought it would be any different.

I presume you've watched Minnesota, Alabama, and for sure plenty of Baylor this year. Who is the best team of the three in your opinion?

Mean Purple

I think Tim's reference has to do with the overall system and uses your Alabama as a vehicle to explain.

For those of you who may not know, Timmy is a huge-huge fan of TCU. I myself, have listened to Tim express his admiration for this institution many, many times. Additionally, he and his family are fine people.
We were always his favorite "fly in the ointment".
man, I miss that radio show he did for Chateau Brando.

Mean Purple

I presume you've watched Minnesota, Alabama, and for sure plenty of Baylor this year. Who is the best team of the three in your opinion?
So far, I think Minn has been more complete than Bama. A 1 loss Bama stays higher than a no loss bu all the way through, in my view. We played like [ Finebaum ], and bu needed a wrongly called back td to beat us. tech has not played well, and bu needed a wrongly overturned fumble to beat them.

Minn, looked very strong across the board. Bama has some issues in defense this year. That said, bama has one of the best rcvr squads I've seen.

Mean Purple

So we're using that logic against Alabama (even though they actually lost the game by 6 points) but kind of ignoring the fact that Baylor only beat Texas Tech because an official totally blew a call in overtime, or hell, I heard a lot of people on here say the officials gifted them the game last week.

Yep, the anti-Alabama bias is pretty evident. Figure out the result you want, and then go to whatever lengths and make whatever backwards arguments you have to make in order to back it up. That's pretty much how it goes.

How many points would Baylor or Minnesota be getting if they played Bama this week?
You want to talk anti bama bias??? Who more than me is guilty of that. I am an Auburn fan. I am the first to tell you that what bama fans and flies have in common is they can both live off a dead bear for years. I will tell you Chris Davis should be President.
I will also tell you that Bama should be in over a no loss baylor if bama wins out. BUT, Bama has not business being ahead of Minn right now.

War Dayum Eagle, Go Frogs!

Mean Purple

People are pissed because in the past, the committee has valued resume over how good they think a team is. As someone here put it, if it was simply picking the four best teams, bama would probably be automatic every year. In that case, why play the games. In 2014 we were one of the four best teams but didn't get in because the other resumes looked better than ours thanks to OU tanking and the baylor loss.

For them to put bama at 5, when they have zero ranked wins and a loss, is a joke. baylor has beaten two ranked teams, minnesota beat a top 10 team and both have zero losses.

Having said that, the final rankings are the only ones that matter. But if you think these mid-season rankings give us a look into how the committee thinks, this is disturbing and has been every year they've done them. The 'criteria' they grade on changes and is more based on brand name and conference. Baylor and Minn have a better resume than bama even if they aren't a better team.
We also backed it up that year that we should have been in by absolutely destroying the team that beat bama in the regular season.

Tumbleweed

Grabbed some radio time in the car this morning. I jumped around the dial, (its either ESPN, CBS or Fox) and all THREE networks were all over this. One network was right in the middle of Alabama, indicating a soft schedule. Also mentioned the Baylor schedule. Another media said Alabama should be in the top 10 but as a 5 or possibly a six.

Wexahu

Minn, looked very strong across the board. Bama has some issues in defense this year. That said, bama has one of the best rcvr squads I've seen.

Odd take, but ok.

They beat South Dakota State, Georgia Southern, and Fresno State by a combined 13 points. Prior to playing Penn State their Big 10 opponents had been at Purdue and Rutgers and home against Illinois, Maryland and Nebraska. Granted, they won most of those games very handily exceptt the Purdue game, but good god, could you come up with a weaker P5 conference schedule if your life depended on it? They won the turnover battle 3-1 and beat Penn State by 5 points at home. They've looked so strong across the board that they are 3 point underdogs at Iowa this week. I assume you're loading up on Minnesota in that game since they've "looked very strong across the board" and are getting points.

I think people just kind of see what they want to see.

Mean Purple

Odd take, but ok.

They beat South Dakota State, Georgia Southern, and Fresno State by a combined 13 points. Prior to playing Penn State their Big 10 opponents had been at Purdue and Rutgers and home against Illinois, Maryland and Nebraska. Granted, they won most of those games very handily exceptt the Purdue game, but good god, could you come up with a weaker P5 conference schedule if your life depended on it? They won the turnover battle 3-1 and beat Penn State by 5 points at home. They've looked so strong across the board that they are 3 point underdogs at Iowa this week. I assume you're loading up on Minnesota in that game since they've "looked very strong across the board" and are getting points.

I think people just kind of see what they want to see.
And bama lost to their top 10 opponent. Pretty sure winning trumps that. unless of course it is a loss to a less than average Va Tech team in 2014 ...

Wexahu

Grabbed some radio time in the car this morning. I jumped around the dial, (its either ESPN, CBS or Fox) and all THREE networks were all over this. One network was right in the middle of Alabama, indicating a soft schedule. Also mentioned the Baylor schedule. Another media said Alabama should be in the top 10 but as a 5 or possibly a six.

I can hardly stand to listen the stupidity is so rampant. I'm still trying to understand where this idea that Alabama is privileged comes from. When did they ever get special treatment? When should the committee have not selected Alabama, and who should they have selected in their place? Alabama never loses more than one game a year and beats the living crap out of any average or even above average team they play. Every single year, including this year so far. Who else does that?

The whole "Alabama privilege" narrative is just complete media fabricated [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

The sec sucks both LSU and Bama play no defense. The stupid committee changes the rules to suit the biggest teams with best ratings in the invitational known as college football playoff.