• The KillerFrogs

OT: Favorite Professor at TCU

Wexahu

Anyone else have the recurring dream where you skipped classes all semester, then FINALS came and [ hundin]-slapped you in the face?

(and I realize for some, this was reality)

Yes, almost that exact dream. I wake up in a panic and freaked out because I hadn't been to class in about 2 months and I'm wondering how the hell I'm gonna pass, then it hits me that I haven't been to school in 20+ years. I was a pretty disinterested student but I still managed to go to class almost all the time, no idea why that dream lingers in my head.

SuperBarrFrog

Anyone else have the recurring dream where you skipped classes all semester, then FINALS came and [ hundin]-slapped you in the face?

(and I realize for some, this was reality)

All the time. It sorta happened to me for real in geology senior year. I took the first test and thought it was just a midterm and final and didn’t come back to class for a few weeks. Walk in thinking “wow this class is packed today” and all of a sudden teacher says “put away your notes and take out your scantrons.” I managed to get a high F on then had to bust ass to make sure I passed the glass and graduated. I wasn’t in a frat and rocks for jocks was way actually hard without having a test file! Stressful stuff. Ha.

Frog92

Sanoa Hensley - seating for exams was based on prior exam score. Worst in the front, best in the back. Probably discouraged some but certainly motivated more.
Robert Vigeland - my advisor, still in touch. Also taught Advanced Acct and was the department chair.
Rob Rhodes - B Law - kept what could be a boring night class interesting
Joe Lipscomb - Financial management
Morrison Wong - Sociology
Gregg Franzwa - Philosophy - maybe the hardest class I took but he was such a great guy and into what he taught
Gail Gear - Art History

I had a bunch of really good ones and only a couple bad. Intermediate Acct II was a joke. I taught myself and just came to exams. Won't name names but I think he was only there a year or so.

frogs9497

Sanoa Hensley - seating for exams was based on prior exam score. Worst in the front, best in the back. Probably discouraged some but certainly motivated more.
Robert Vigeland - my advisor, still in touch. Also taught Advanced Acct and was the department chair.
Rob Rhodes - B Law - kept what could be a boring night class interesting
Joe Lipscomb - Financial management
Morrison Wong - Sociology
Gregg Franzwa - Philosophy - maybe the hardest class I took but he was such a great guy and into what he taught
Gail Gear - Art History

I had a bunch of really good ones and only a couple bad. Intermediate Acct II was a joke. I taught myself and just came to exams. Won't name names but I think he was only there a year or so.

I had a Korean professor for Inter II. I spoke better Korean than he did English, and I don’t speak Korean.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
All the time. It sorta happened to me for real in geology senior year. I took the first test and thought it was just a midterm and final and didn’t come back to class for a few weeks. Walk in thinking “wow this class is packed today” and all of a sudden teacher says “put away your notes and take out your scantrons.” I managed to get a high F on then had to bust ass to make sure I passed the glass and graduated. I wasn’t in a frat and rocks for jocks was way actually hard without having a test file! Stressful stuff. Ha.

My senior year I took a freshman level astronomy class to fill some requirement. There were 4 tests. I went to class 3 times.

The professor was not impressed with me. Fair assessment.

SwissArmyFrog

Back in the early 80's we did a musical production (Gilbert & Sullivan) called "The Yeomen of the Guard".

Constantino Bernardez was a prof (can't remember where...maybe RTVF), who also had a great singing voice, and he had a good-sized part in the show that allowed him to show it off. Was told he'd done some operatic stuff in The Philippines back during his younger days.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Constantino Bernardez was a prof (can't remember where...maybe RTVF), who also had a great singing voice, and he had a good-sized part in the show that allowed him to show it off. Was told he'd done some operatic stuff in The Philippines back during his younger days.

Constantino Bernardez taught pronounciation and diction in the RTvF Department. He was, at one time, a part of the Philippine National Opera, but was forced to flee due to Ferdinand Marcos. Beautiful voice. Spoke with a wonderful cadence and a sense of careful deliberation. I only heard him sing once, during a funeral for a fellow student (who was a good guy) in R.C.C. Powerful Bass voice...

The remembrance was a pleasant jolt. Thanks!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Reading this thread is really wonderful! So many good memories come bubbling up from the darkness...

I cannot remember the fellow's name, but we had an Astronomy prof who did our labs that was a most interesting fellow. Lab was held on the lawn by the old Observatory (Now demolished) and we had several Celestron Newtonian 6" scopes to play with. Light pollution was bad even back then ('84-'85) and the scopes were fairly useless save for big, hard-to-miss items. We had a good evening once with a half-Moon up, and the prof said we could stick around after the parking lot lights shut down at 10:30 so the viewing would be better. About 3/4 of the class left, but some of us stayed and talked for the couple of hours until the lights shut down. Somehow beer made it's way in. Just a truly pleasant evening, talking of stars and such, and other things of interest. Turns out, our prof was, at one time, a "trajectory designer" for ICBMs, specifically MIRV weapons ("Like horseshoes, only bigger.") Funny guy. In that one evening, I probably learned more about orbital mechanics, astronomy techniques and other matters thereof than I had ever known before. Understand, I was a huge geek about these things and knew a lot (or so I thought), but, wow...

I was thinking about that fellow over the last weekend when Mrs. Brewingfrog and I were out stargazing in the deep darkness of rural Texas.

TX_Krötenechse

I had a few favorites.

Madame Schein for French - just the coolest, happiest professor. Excellent teacher as well. My only negative is that she never gave us her family’s secret crepe recipe

Dr. Worthing in History. I took three East Asian history courses and had him as my senior thesis advisor just because he was so cool and his classes were so well-taught.

Dr. Williams in German and Honors ... this dude had a real impact on my life. I took several German classes from his and both of his Honors classes, plus he was my Honors advisor. Just a great dude and a great professor.

Special mention to Dr. Sanders in the history department, I never took one of her classes but I spent a lot of time with her working as a writing tutor, and she’s just super cool (although I hear she’s a hardass grader).

HToady

I attended in the Tom Badgett, Joe Steele era. Not sure how great of teachers they were, but they were a whole lot of fun...

Big Frog II

I had a teach for Music Appreciation who I thought was 100 and not playing with a full deck back in the early 70's named Mrs. Planick. Well, sometime in the late 80's or early 90's, my father who was a dentist, says to me, one of your old professors was in this week. I asked who it was. He replied that it was Mrs. Planick. I told him, I can't believe she was still alive. He said she was doing just fine. She had brought her mother in to have her teeth checked. I couldn't believe it.

As for some I enjoyed, Dr. Proctor was tough but good. Dr. Self was very helpful in the business school.

TemCatFrog71

Wow! There are some old toots on here that are my age. Loved Blount, had a great arm for throwing chalk. Being an Aggie he also loved a good Aggie joke. Geezer, I might have been in Bohonn's class with you. The pacing could wear you out, but he had a memory like a steel trap. He loved Chinese History. I hope he made it back there for a visit after the travel restriction were eased. Frank Reuter was likely my hero. I spent 38 years in the classroom teaching History and Social Studies and he was the greatest influence on my teaching style.I would like to think that I could make history come alive as an interconnected story like he could. Worst list had to be headed by Harry Poppers. Had him for intro German. I was surprised at the end of the semester that he felt he had been teaching us in English. Sounded like German to me.

Wog68

John Smith, English prof and great Horned Frog fan who traveled to out of town games with us students, and Professor Jurovics, my German prof without whom I never would have graduated.