• The KillerFrogs

OT - Chili Recipe

Frogcrates

Beans or no Beans?

Go.
1292.gif

Ray Finkle

If you are in an absolute pinch and need something that will "work" when your wife or football buddies suddenly want chili, this is a decent standby for the pantry:

1 pound ground elk or deer (beef, if you buy your meat)
2 cans of pork and beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel
Hot chili seasoning (or whatever you prefer)

Add cut-up onions or jalapenos, if you have them while cooking. Of course, cheese and saltines are a nice to have.

Yes, good chili takes time but if you need a last minute solution, this isn't bad.

Last edited:

MN Frog

Thanks...like I said, Ive got my failsafe chili. I'm looking forward to having the wife whip up a few of these recipes. Thanks!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The one truth about chili is that it cannot be chili if it has spaghetti in it like they try to pawn off up here! Must've come out of Sergio Leone's vision of the old west...

Tom Brown

Texans gotta texan. Beans in chili is fine.

Ill send mine. It has beer base with chorizo and beef.

One fourth of a cup of olive oil 1 large yellow onion diced one medium shallot diced 7 cloves of garlic minced 2 green bell peppers diced 1 serrano chilipepper diced with seeds 1 pound ground sirloin one-pound Chorizo one packet of low sodium taco seasoning 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 tablespoon cumin a dash of cinnamon 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 tsp salt one teaspoon cracked black pepper 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained 1 can of kidney beans rinsed and drained to Chili Peppers in Adobo 228 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes 1 small can of tomatoes and green chilies 1 small can tomato paste 10 ounces frozen corn

+Bottle of beer, i use a bock, last one was Martin House Bockslider

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
One fourth of a cup of olive oil 1 large yellow onion diced one medium shallot diced 7 cloves of garlic minced 2 green bell peppers diced 1 serrano chilipepper diced with seeds 1 pound ground sirloin one-pound Chorizo one packet of low sodium taco seasoning 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 tablespoon cumin a dash of cinnamon 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 tsp salt one teaspoon cracked black pepper 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained 1 can of kidney beans rinsed and drained to Chili Peppers in Adobo 228 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes 1 small can of tomatoes and green chilies 1 small can tomato paste 10 ounces frozen corn

+Bottle of beer, i use a bock, last one was Martin House Bockslider
Man that’s a lot of crushed tomatoes.

Shorty

Definitely my favorite Chili recipe:

Seven-Chile Chili

Ingredients:

6 anchos
2 pasilla
2 costeños
2 guajillos
4 chiles de arbol
4 pieces of bacon
4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 cup of brewed coffee
1 bottle of beer
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tablespoon cumin
2 chipotles in adobo
Salt
1/4 cup masa harina
1/3 Mexican hot chocolate tablet, grated

Method:
Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet ( I just use a cooking pan) on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in two batches.

Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, and mix in the coffee, the beer, two cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.

Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.

When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).

After five hours, take a Mexican hot chocolate disc, and finely grate 1/3 of it into the pot. Scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.

Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. Taste and adjust seasonings. When done, serve with cheddar, onions, jalapenos and tortillas.

Note: If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.

EhRzYVS.jpg

z7IkqyX.jpg

Z0v9m7M.jpg

KsPqwws.jpg

Final Product:

pvHmWYz.jpg
Bumping this thread since the weather is cooling off. I made the quoted recipe a couple times and it's my new favorite. The other recipe I use for "chili" with beans is Guy Fieri's Dragon Breath chili recipe. I add a couple more jalapenos and a habanero as it's not as spicy as the name would imply.

CryptoMiner

Basics:

Fresh is better, nothing from a can (except tomato paste it just takes too long to make your own)

A wide variety of chile's

Wild game the better (venison, nalgi are my favorites and usually readily available, bison also nice but not a fan of wild boar)

Don't hold back on the spices

Start with Bacon! Any recipe that uses olive oil or other cooking oils just toss immediately, use bacon or better yet, fatback.

Shiner Bock for the recipe and the cook

Last edited:

Eight

If you are in an absolute pinch and need something that will "work" when your wife or football buddies suddenly want chili, this is a decent standby for the pantry:

1 pound ground elk or deer (beef, if you buy your meat)
2 cans of pork and beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel
Hot chili seasoning (or whatever you prefer)

Add cut-up onions or jalapenos, if you have them while cooking. Of course, cheese and saltines are a nice to have.

Yes, good chili takes time but if you need a last minute solution, this isn't bad.

jesussssss........rotel? why not navy beans and put it over pasta for goodness sake

LVH

I will fight anyone who puts diced or crushed tomatoes in their chili

You can call that a stew or soup but it isnt chili

Brog

During some years of exile in Connecticut, we couldn't buy Wolf Brand Chili. They never heard of it. Yeah, I know, it's canned, but we had some cases of it shipped up to help us remember Texas. Pretty good in a pinch. (And lots of pinches up there.)

BABYFACE

Definitely my favorite Chili recipe:

Seven-Chile Chili

Ingredients:

6 anchos
2 pasilla
2 costeños
2 guajillos
4 chiles de arbol
4 pieces of bacon
4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 cup of brewed coffee
1 bottle of beer
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tablespoon cumin
2 chipotles in adobo
Salt
1/4 cup masa harina
1/3 Mexican hot chocolate tablet, grated

Method:
Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet ( I just use a cooking pan) on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in two batches.

Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, and mix in the coffee, the beer, two cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.

Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.

When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).

After five hours, take a Mexican hot chocolate disc, and finely grate 1/3 of it into the pot. Scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.

Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. Taste and adjust seasonings. When done, serve with cheddar, onions, jalapenos and tortillas.

Note: If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.

EhRzYVS.jpg

z7IkqyX.jpg

Z0v9m7M.jpg

KsPqwws.jpg

Final Product:

pvHmWYz.jpg

This is true Texas Red.

I will fight anyone who puts diced or crushed tomatoes in their chili

You can call that a stew or soup but it isnt chili
The great thing about chili is that there is no real definition of authentic or genuine chili. By definition, chili was a stew from the very beginning.

As Hoosier pointed out, the original chili had everything the cook could find on the wagon in it. The ground chili peppers and spices were added to mask the flavor of the spoiled meats.

Dogfrog

During some years of exile in Connecticut, we couldn't buy Wolf Brand Chili. They never heard of it. Yeah, I know, it's canned, but we had some cases of it shipped up to help us remember Texas. Pretty good in a pinch. (And lots of pinches up there.)

Yea I lived in Philly and New York back in the 80’s. My folks would ship me cans of Wolf Brand. I’d doctor it up with onions, jalapeños, and beer. Homesickness medication.