• The KillerFrogs

OT - Books that should be movies

Eight

Some time ago I came across an interesting author, John F. Bayer, who does a downright decent job of cloak-and-dagger type novels. Unless you insist on SFX blowing up things from beginning to end, faithful story development of JFB's stuff would make for a film worth sitting through.

let will smith or tom cruise buy the rights, mix in that special michael bay touch, and you will have enough explosions for even steel

Paint It Purple

If you like Clancy, pick up a Joel C Rosenberg novel. His “Ezekiel Option” would be a great suspense movie. It’s a complex story, so it might be difficult for Hollywood to make. His “the Last Jihad” is also excellent.

FrogPreacher

Any of the "Prey" novels by John Sandford. One was made years ago but with incredibly wrong casting. Also the spin-off books with Virgil Flowers.
Love the Reacher novels, and while I am a fan of Tom Cruise, he is just not right to play Reacher.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Atlas Shrugged was done on the cheap and all three movies had different actors for every single role. Absolutely terrible.

Ready Player One seemed as if it was not even the same story to me. The book was great. The movie was a bit difficult to watch.

I felt RPO was doomed to fail from the start when they had to get permission for all of the various 80’s references. However, Spielberg did a great job securing a lot of what was needed then proceeded to completely butcher the basics of the story. Sure, cut some things out—like the sex chair—and montage through some of the repetitive or long tasks like PAC-Man or War Games, but don’t completely change the challenges and characters.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The "Pellucidar" series of books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. John Carter movie got terrible reviews but I really liked it.
They did just kill John Carter of Mars, didn't they? I mean, leaving off the "of Mars" sort of takes away the hook from the very beginning. It's obvious from the casting, sets, costumes, etc. that they weren't skimping on production values, but it's like the above the line folks just didn't understand what it was they were dealing with. It was just a sad waste of good materiel.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE="BrewingFrog, post: 3024432, member: 28"]They did just kill John Carter of Mars, didn't they? I mean, leaving off the "of Mars" sort of takes away the hook from the very beginning. It's obvious from the casting, sets, costumes, etc. that they weren't skimping on production values, but it's like the above the line folks just didn't understand what it was they were dealing with. It was just a sad waste of good materiel.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but then there’s the hot alien chick…who was from Houston I think. (Older version was on a few Bosch episodes).
09C76C91-63C0-4CE3-AD6C-28D0DA48169F.jpeg

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
QUOTE="BrewingFrog, post: 3024432, member: 28"]They did just kill John Carter of Mars, didn't they? I mean, leaving off the "of Mars" sort of takes away the hook from the very beginning. It's obvious from the casting, sets, costumes, etc. that they weren't skimping on production values, but it's like the above the line folks just didn't understand what it was they were dealing with. It was just a sad waste of good materiel.

Yeah, but then there’s the hot alien chick…who was from Houston I think. (Older version was on a few Bosch episodes).
View attachment 9210[/QUOTE]
"The incomparable Dejah Thoris..." The Frazetta paintings of the whole mythos were excellent, and the actress filled the role quite well. That elusive combination of beauty, deadliness, intelligence, and passion were all on display.