• The KillerFrogs

OT - best steakhouse in FW?

Frog-in-law1995

Tell me more about these BBQ competitions you speak of? What kind of smoker do you use? Willing to post any pictures of your brisket?

I did my first competition with an Oklahoma Joe Highland offset and some crappy offset my dad bought for like $100. Then I built three ugly drum smokers which I used for several competitions and started doing better. I just recently bought a pellet smoker which I plan to incorporate in Decatur next weekend along with one of the drums. Ultimately, I’d like to get a Jambo trailer, but at $10k, that’s a LONG way down the road.

I’m rushing to a hearing right now, but will post pics after.

frogs9497

Everyone in this thread is full of crap.

Thank you.

ImmenseWanChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

YA

Frog-in-law1995

Tell me more about these BBQ competitions you speak of? What kind of smoker do you use? Willing to post any pictures of your brisket?

Here’s my brisket turn-in from my last competition, along with a pic of the ribs before slicing (forgot to get a picture of the final box). Brisket came in 11th of 34 (I think my injection mix was too salty, otherwise this was a strong entry). Ribs came in 9th, just a tad overdone but still good. Don’t know about chicken, but guessing 35th or so.

Also threw in a pic of my drum smokers and the results of a practice session last weekend.

wZCJfQO.jpg

qscsCQI.jpg

wGoYQ27.jpg

g0Tsjmp.jpg

Dogfrog

Roy Pope used to do this if you asked them on their prime steaks. They quit doing it altogether back in 2013 or so.

Good place to buy meat if you are in the FW area.

Excellent point and pretty close to me. Not sure why it remains under my radar.

westoverhillbilly

I did my first competition with an Oklahoma Joe Highland offset and some crappy offset my dad bought for like $100. Then I built three ugly drum smokers which I used for several competitions and started doing better. I just recently bought a pellet smoker which I plan to incorporate in Decatur next weekend along with one of the drums. .
r.

Froginlaw, pellet smokers are good for some things but my problem is they don't put near enough smoke into the meat.. A good remedy for this is a sleeve the grill stores now sell where you can put smoking pellets inside your grill to add flavor..

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Here’s my brisket turn-in from my last competition, along with a pic of the ribs before slicing (forgot to get a picture of the final box). Brisket came in 11th of 34 (I think my injection mix was too salty, otherwise this was a strong entry). Ribs came in 9th, just a tad overdone but still good. Don’t know about chicken, but guessing 35th or so.

Also threw in a pic of my drum smokers and the results of a practice session last weekend.

wZCJfQO.jpg

qscsCQI.jpg

wGoYQ27.jpg

g0Tsjmp.jpg
Your pot roast looks strange and undercooked.

Frog-in-law1995

Froginlaw, pellet smokers are good for some things but my problem is they don't put near enough smoke into the meat.. A good remedy for this is a sleeve the grill stores now sell where you can put smoking pellets inside your grill to add flavor..

I’ve seen the sleeves on tv but not in person yet. They look interesting. We’ll see about the smoke level, I guess. Pellet smokers are hitting a lot lately. Grand and reserve champs at my last comp were both pellet guys, which is why I caved. I still plan to use a drum for brisket for now, but bought a big enough pellet smoker to do everything if I want (including pork butt if I decide to do a KCBS competition).

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’ve seen the sleeves on tv but not in person yet. They look interesting. We’ll see about the smoke level, I guess. Pellet smokers are hitting a lot lately. Grand and reserve champs at my last comp were both pellet guys, which is why I caved. I still plan to use a drum for brisket for now, but bought a big enough pellet smoker to do everything if I want (including pork butt if I decide to do a KCBS competition).
Sleeves are so baylor.

giphy.gif

InstaFrog

First off, I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone has brought sous vide up in this thread, so I think you’re likely just trolling.

Secondly, I don’t think you understand what exactly sous vide does. Either that or you’re being purposefully ignorant.

I’ve only done it twice but it was fantastic. The key is how you finish it on the cast-iron.
Go Reverse Sear and you won't look back. Similar results, less steps and paraphernalia...And we now know having paraphernalia ain't a good thing in Texas.

BABYFACE

As in most things, there's good and not-so-good pink. Always check the source.
Since you told me to check the source. I am attaching clips from an article and Wikipedia There are plenty more, but two will suffice. I prefer Himalayan salt on my steak. You do not, that’s cool too.

upload_2019-5-23_14-28-17.pngupload_2019-5-23_14-28-56.png

BABYFACE

Agree.

Pellet smokers are good for chicken, fish, cheeses, and such that you may wish to smoke. Beef and pork need to smoke over traditional hardwood.

WhatTheFrog

First off, I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone has brought sous vide up in this thread, so I think you’re likely just trolling.

Secondly, I don’t think you understand what exactly sous vide does. Either that or you’re being purposefully ignorant.

I’ve only done it twice but it was fantastic. The key is how you finish it on the cast-iron.
You fail. Reread thread.

Username does not check out in this case. So disappointing.