• The KillerFrogs

OT: Best pizza in FW?

froginmn

My grandfather worked on the Totino’s building as a bricklayer. The pizza there was good. The frozen stuff of the same name not so much.

Grew up not far from Torino Grace. My grandfather lived very near it until the day he passed. I have funny football stories about playing Totino Grace including probably the first ever recorded non-hockey portal transfer in MN high school football when the Irondale QB from my junior year somehow ended up as the starting QB for TG my senior year without having to sit a year per conference rules.

On a different note, Redd’s Savoy pizza in St Paul is bar none the best pizza I’ve had anywhere in the country. Until it closed. The impostor franchises are not the same. I miss the Savoy.
For a while I worked literally next door to Red's Savoy. I took my team there for lunch a couple times and got takeout for other events. The three things about that restaurant were that 1) it took your eyes 15 seconds to adjust to the dark when you went inside, and 15 more to not be blinded when you went back out, 2) several years after indoor smoking was banned, the place still reeked of smoke, and 3) somehow that restaurant was a target for cars, mostly coming off of the Lafayette Bridge. They eventually installed a long concrete pillar on the south side of the building to save people.

froginmn

On a different note, Redd’s Savoy pizza in St Paul is bar none the best pizza I’ve had anywhere in the country. Until it closed. The impostor franchises are not the same. I miss the Savoy.
I'm guessing you might be just a couple years too young, but did you ever have Mario's Pizza? There were maybe five of them at one time - one in Mpls., one Bloomington Southtown,... I think it was about five times better than Savoy. My brother and I cried when they closed.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'm guessing you might be just a couple years too young, but did you ever have Mario's Pizza? There were maybe five of them at one time - one in Mpls., one Bloomington Southtown,... I think it was about five times better than Savoy. My brother and I cried when they closed.
I don’t remember Mario’s unfortunately.

SwissArmyFrog

Back in the early-ish 80's there was a pizza place a block or 2 east of the TCU campus on the north side of Berry. Don't remember the name, but it used 1 or more Greek letters.

Awful. The worst pizza I have ever tried. Smell reminiscent of formaldehyde. We took the box - with 95% of the pizza remaining - to the guys in the Tom Brown tv room and said, "Free pizza!" None of them took more than 1 bite.

WIN

Back in the early-ish 80's there was a pizza place a block or 2 east of the TCU campus on the north side of Berry. Don't remember the name, but it used 1 or more Greek letters.

Awful. The worst pizza I have ever tried. Smell reminiscent of formaldehyde. We took the box - with 95% of the pizza remaining - to the guys in the Tom Brown tv room and said, "Free pizza!" None of them took more than 1 bite.

Tell you how hard I am to please, loved their stromboli!

Peacefrog

Degenerate
For a while I worked literally next door to Red's Savoy. I took my team there for lunch a couple times and got takeout for other events. The three things about that restaurant were that 1) it took your eyes 15 seconds to adjust to the dark when you went inside, and 15 more to not be blinded when you went back out, 2) several years after indoor smoking was banned, the place still reeked of smoke, and 3) somehow that restaurant was a target for cars, mostly coming off of the Lafayette Bridge. They eventually installed a long concrete pillar on the south side of the building to save people.
I think the waitresses had all worked there for decades and probably contributed 75 percent of that cigarette smoke.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I grew up in FW, so Mama’s is my hands-down favorite. The Berry Street location is a time capsule with TCU stuff on the walls, right down to the Temple Tornado hype poster, will all the ink not cyan faded away. Not only is the quality of the pizza completely unchanged, but the high school girls behind the counter have a laissez-faire, disaffected air about them, consistent since at least the early 80s.