• The KillerFrogs

OT: Best pizza in FW?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Shroom, and Mama's. Yeah, so the Shroom takes 2 hours. It's done right. Get another pitcher of beer and watch the game on TV...

Mama's is eternal. I don't care if the pepperoni is greasy, and I don't care if the sauce gives me heartburn (well, maybe a little), it's the same it has ever been. A small island of continuity in the vast, heaving chaos all around...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Chicago deep-dish. A Pizza Pie.

One of my favorite pizza joints on this here planet is Star Pizza, just north of 59 and west of Kirby in Houston. They, like Mama's, have maintained a consistent level of excellence through these many years. I first dined there in 1980, and just visited not long ago, and it is just as delicious and memorable as it ever was.

The Usual for The Brewingfrog at Star Pizza: Joe's, deep dish, whole wheat crust (a little crunchier than the regular), extra garlic. Appetizer: Baked Goat Cheese and Roasted Garlic (served with tasty Italian bread). Shiner Bock, or Saint Arnold Amber (Depending on the mood of Mrs. Brewingfrog).

Peacefrog

Degenerate
To add to the derailment, I'll tell a story with additional background.

Totino's Italian Kitchen was a landmark restaurant in the St Anthony section of Minneapolis, just across the river from downtown and close to the U of M campus. It was next level good and my family went there for years when I was a kid. They also had the frozen food business and that made them wealthy enough that a private Catholic school was renamed Totino-Grace HS and still exists, not far from where @Peacefrog grew up.

Totino’s restaurant was awesome but about 20 years ago something happened and they moved up to the north suburbs. I went there a couple times but it was more cafeteria style and meh. Didn't last at all.

I still miss the original...
My grandfather worked on the Totino’s building as a bricklayer. The pizza there was good. The frozen stuff of the same name not so much.

Grew up not far from Torino Grace. My grandfather lived very near it until the day he passed. I have funny football stories about playing Totino Grace including probably the first ever recorded non-hockey portal transfer in MN high school football when the Irondale QB from my junior year somehow ended up as the starting QB for TG my senior year without having to sit a year per conference rules.

On a different note, Redd’s Savoy pizza in St Paul is bar none the best pizza I’ve had anywhere in the country. Until it closed. The impostor franchises are not the same. I miss the Savoy.

Bob Sugar

Chicago deep-dish. A Pizza Pie.

One of my favorite pizza joints on this here planet is Star Pizza, just north of 59 and west of Kirby in Houston. They, like Mama's, have maintained a consistent level of excellence through these many years. I first dined there in 1980, and just visited not long ago, and it is just as delicious and memorable as it ever was.

The Usual for The Brewingfrog at Star Pizza: Joe's, deep dish, whole wheat crust (a little crunchier than the regular), extra garlic. Appetizer: Baked Goat Cheese and Roasted Garlic (served with tasty Italian bread). Shiner Bock, or Saint Arnold Amber (Depending on the mood of Mrs. Brewingfrog).
We liked Candari's and Collina's when we lived in Houston.

jake102

My grandfather worked on the Totino’s building as a bricklayer. The pizza there was good. The frozen stuff of the same name not so much.

Grew up not far from Torino Grace. My grandfather lived very near it until the day he passed. I have funny football stories about playing Totino Grace including probably the first ever recorded non-hockey portal transfer in MN high school football when the Irondale QB from my junior year somehow ended up as the starting QB for TG my senior year without having to sit a year per conference rules.

On a different note, Redd’s Savoy pizza in St Paul is bar none the best pizza I’ve had anywhere in the country. Until it closed. The impostor franchises are not the same. I miss the Savoy.

You're from Minn? Shocking that there's a few Minnesota connections here

NYC Horned Frog

Here’s another question…which style of pizza is best:
Chicago, New York, Detroit, St. Louis, Cali, New Haven, Quad Cities, some other style I’m not thinking of?
Fwiw, I’m firmly in the NY camp.

My favorite from my NYC days were John's of Bleecker, Roberta's, Artichoke Basilles (Get the artichoke pizza, don't knock it until you try it) and the #1 goes to any slice out of any NYC pizzeria on any NYC street after you stumble out of the bar late night.

LVH

I really like the Buffalo bros pepperoni.

Palio’s is great too but none of theirs is the best of the type that I’ve had.

Tried Zoli’s Fat Staxx (pepperoni, ricotta, rosemary and spicy honey) and it is excellent.

I worked at the very first Palio's store when it first opened in 2005 (Colleyville). It's crazy how much it has grown since then. Owner is named Harry and he is from Turkey. He worked as a dishwasher for 20 years to save the money to open his own store. Now the guy has a big house, has been able to send all his kids to college, and has a decent sized boat and takes it out to Lake Lewisville a lot. American success story if I ever heard of one.

LVH

Here’s another question…which style of pizza is best:
Chicago, New York, Detroit, St. Louis, Cali, New Haven, Quad Cities, some other style I’m not thinking of?
Fwiw, I’m firmly in the NY camp.

Chicago - Giordano's here in Las Vegas is truly the best.

But there are some good NY style places here too.

Bob Sugar

I worked at the very first Palio's store when it first opened in 2005 (Colleyville). It's crazy how much it has grown since then. Owner is named Harry and he is from Turkey. He worked as a dishwasher for 20 years to save the money to open his own store. Now the guy has a big house, has been able to send all his kids to college, and has a decent sized boat and takes it out to Lake Lewisville a lot. American success story if I ever heard of one.
Sounds like he needs to pay his "fair share"

Last edited: