• The KillerFrogs

OT- Admissions "Environmental Context Dashboard"

Billy Clyde

SP9Pu.gif
LOL... Think this is probably a very fair rendition of me at graduation.

flyfishingfrog

With the price to attend TCU, I would figure ability to pay is moving up the totem pole on student evaluations.
actually if I remember correctly, the admissions office has no idea about that at the time they decide to accept a student.

I don't remember if that is because they don't get FAFSA results or choose to not care - but I am pretty sure they don't take ability to pay into consideration.

Pharm Frog

actually if I remember correctly, the admissions office has no idea about that at the time they decide to accept a student.

I don't remember if that is because they don't get FAFSA results or choose to not care - but I am pretty sure they don't take ability to pay into consideration.

This is not my experience at all although I do recall the rather intense debates it created within TACRAO.

ticketfrog123

If you are saying the t0p 20% percentile graduating from a large public school in Texas (or most states) has a better academic record in college than the top 20% percentile graduating from one of the better private schools - all of the historical reporting at the universities I have been involved with around admissions would prove you wrong.

Top tier kids tend to be self driven - regardless of educational background - so the top 3-5% is almost the same. The first quartile below that however demonstrates that children coming from higher rigor private programs have better study habits and ability to execute in the classroom than similar groupings from public schools. and that second quartile tends to be a sweet spot for second tier private universities like TCU, Baylor, SMU.

There are always exceptions - and I assume you are referring to Cistercian - but much like TVS, FWCD, etc - the academic results of their graduates shows a better than average result in college. And St Marks kids knock it out of the park a lot more often than the struggle by a long shot.

Now how often those kids have problems adjusting to a more open social environment on a college campus is a different discussion - they do seem to struggle more often, especially at larger schools because the bubble is gone. One reason why TCU has more success with those kids than some large state schools.

You’re still not following me. I’m not saying the 20 percentile student at St. marks vs. Plano.

I’m saying give me the 30 percentile student at Plano and that student will outperform most valedictorians from 3A or below public schools or a private school with a graduating class of 50 or less.

The school in question was not a traditional high school after looking into it...have heard similar comments re: SCS. Not sure why you jumped on Cistercian as your first guess.

ticketfrog123

I think the university also needs to allow students to "walk-on academically" the same way an athlete can earn a scholly. I had average SAT (1080 back in 1996) and middling class rank (17%) in high school. Not good enough for any financial assistance other than loans. I got to campus and had a 3.9 after my first two years and was in the Honors Program, but TCU would not offer me any merit-based scholarships, because those are only doled out to high school students. Luckily, tuition was low enough back then that my job and a slight contribution from mom and dad meant I was fortunate to have TCU education and degree without a mountain of loan debt.

Walking-on would imply a high likelihood to leave and hurt retention numbers, but I get what you mean in terms of earning a scholarship based on performance...it makes sense if there’s transfer scholarships (which there are)

I’ve always felt the borderline admitted students had heavy TCU connections more often than not. I guess we saw how much legacy stuff matters partially from the college bribe scandal

TCUdirtbag

You’re still not following me. I’m not saying the 20 percentile student at St. marks vs. Plano.

I’m saying give me the 30 percentile student at Plano and that student will outperform most valedictorians from 3A or below public schools or a private school with a graduating class of 50 or less.

The school in question was not a traditional high school after looking into it...have heard similar comments re: SCS. Not sure why you jumped on Cistercian as your first guess.

Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t think anyone has really argued with the exact, very nuanced yet broad point you are making. Merely expanding to things more discussable.

I think you’re reaching here with 30th percentile mega-decent-or-more-SES-suburban-public and any 3A/private school graduating 50 or less valedictorian but you’ll find specific cases that go both ways on that I suspect.

ticketfrog123

Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t think anyone has really argued with the exact, very nuanced yet broad point you are making. Merely expanding to things more discussable.

I think you’re reaching here with 30th percentile mega-decent-or-more-SES-suburban-public and any 3A/private school graduating 50 or less valedictorian but you’ll find specific cases that go both ways on that I suspect.

Size matters. So does the rigor of the school. Small, rural schools are less likely to prepare students for a college workload with less AP classes than a mega suburb or whatever. Doesn’t sound too nuanced to me.

I’m not talking about the high caliber private schools.

BABYFACE

Yeah, I know, just trying to be funny. I do know ability to pay is very important the parent’s end. But a true note, ability to pay is very important for Schloss when evaluating a recruit. Stupid NCAA scholarship rule for baseball.

4 Oaks Frog

Having raised two children who were successful in high school, at TCU and now at life, the best recommendation I can give is, watch out who your youngster hangs out with. His peers can have a lot more influence on him than you. Of course, good grades, being involved and not getting trouble is very important. But, all of that comes back to their influencers. I would hate to be raising a youngster today. Good Luck!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Brevity Frog

Nope. Wrong. A valedictorian of most private schools will often outperform. Third-place kid at my son’s private school had 4.0 and 1450 SAT. Class well below 50.