• The KillerFrogs

OT — Puppy Coming Soon

SuperBarrFrog

I had a lab once that liked to swim, I mean all the time. Well I got the bright idea to put the doggie door close to the pool. Every day till I trained her to stop, she would sit on the pool steps most of the day. Then come in and lay down on my bed. What a mess and the wife was none to happy. I liked to remind her that the chocolate one was her favorite one and thus her fault.
Yikes. We never had a doggy door although I always thought it might be good idea. Maybe not!

steelfrog

Tier 1
Thanks, you guys are the best.

Except @Frognosticator He's a moron.

Frognosticator has an interesting body, engineered differently than the rest of us in that it is made for eating yuge quantities of food and other things. And even then, he gorges himself routinely and has to walk around holding his belly like a very pregnant woman. His belly button is an outie in that it acts a as a pressure valve and every now and then partially digested food will come bubbling out.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I know you don’t want to crate, but containment is key. We just went through this, and our pup has adapted to sleeping in one of these and now runs to it when we’re headed for bed. We also use small treats to entice him. No issues with peeing in the house.

Just ordered this. Thanks again!

By the way, our pup is a male Irish Wolfhound. We've had two females in the past, both over 175 pounds; this little guy will likely top 200 and about 39" at the shoulder. His daddy (a somewhat famous sire named Jasper) is also the daddy of one of our girls, years ago.

What we like most about the wolfies is their temperament and personality; no anxieties, very intuitive; love their family.

SuperBarrFrog

By the way, our pup is a male Irish Wolfhound. We've had two females in the past, both over 175 pounds; this little guy will likely top 200 and about 39" at the shoulder. His daddy (a somewhat famous sire named Jasper) is also the daddy of one of our girls, years ago.

What we like most about the wolfies is their temperament and personality; no anxieties, very intuitive; love their family.

“We’re gonna need a bigger pen”

D9640E28-E4D9-4F40-9B52-36B0DC0B93D7.jpeg

Eight

7Gxg.gif

Chongo94

I’ve always thought they were so cool.

Do they shed and bark a lot in relation to other dogs or not as much?

steelfrog

Tier 1
I’ve always thought they were so cool.

Do they shed and bark a lot in relation to other dogs or not as much?

They don't blow their coat. They have a soft undercoat that sheds some and then they have a wiry overcoat that doesn't shed. And they hardly bark at all. When they do it's more of a Rowl or a Boofing, as Norm Hitzges calls it. We want to try and encourage this one through training to be vocal, cause it's cool when they are; but they usually are pretty quiet.

jack the frog

Train him. Seriously, using a crate to train is the best way. He won't pee in his crate. So you keep him in the crate (or a small pen, if you won't do a kennel) and then take him outside when you want him to pee. If he goes, bring him inside and play with him. If he doesn't, put him back in the crate. Take him out of the crate and go directly outside, repeating until he pees. If you do this consistently, it won't take long to train. At night, don't let him drink much later in the day, and take him out at bedtime, making sure he pees.

When you're tending to him closely, he can be out. When you're not watching him, put him in the crate/pen. Again, he won't pee in his confined space because he has to live there.

Dogs like enclosed spaces, but we can't seem to get our heads around that and think it's "mean" to kennel them. They like to burrow.

And once he's trained, you can put away the crate for good.

Good luck and post pictures!

Yep. My Ex wife has three shelter dogs as family and often has one foster mutt on site looking for a home. She knows her business and considers the crate a big part of their well being. Seemed peculiar and jail like to me but those dogs love their crates. Except for putting them away for housecleaning and guests and what not the doors are never closed and the mutts spend time going in and out voluntarily. It is a safe space during weather and there is occasionally a wait for crate time. These are dogs that have been abused and they appreciate the security.

Mean Purple

As mentioned, crate training works. They do like the confined space as a pup. And, depending on the age, the old wind up clock wrapped up in the cushion works well if they are having a hard time sleeping in their new environment.

WIN

As mentioned, crate training works. They do like the confined space as a pup. And, depending on the age, the old wind up clock wrapped up in the cushion works well if they are having a hard time sleeping in their new environment.

Have used the clock several times with pups. Something different, if you know the pup you are getting and waiting till he or she is old enough to be taken from the mom, take a blanket to the mom and litter so that the scent can come home on the blanket with the pup. Just adds a little comfort.

Wexahu

Very cool breed. I love huge dogs, but it’s a damn shame they don’t live longer than they do.

netty2424

Famous as being the garage door mascot?
https://okdiscountgaragedoor.com/About-Jasper

Hopefully, he will attack you in your sleep and eat your carcass.

TK2000

In a lot of ways the first 6 months of a new puppy is more stressful than a newborn baby. With the exception you can leave them in the backyard for an hour. Sometimes I look at people getting a puppy and think there is no way this person realizes what they are in for. I’m currently raising a Belgian Malinois. It’s all hands on deck with that breed. But in the long run there’s nothjng better than having a great dog in the household. They can make you smile on the worst day.

froginaustin

Yikes. We never had a doggy door although I always thought it might be good idea. Maybe not!

Beware the pet door unless there's a dog around that is territorial or has hunting instincts. We put in a pet door to the outside once, and our multiple cats loved it. So did urban mice and rats. A possum was bad enough, but when a racoon let itself in and trashed the kitchen, the pet door to the great outdoors went away.

Racoon not only spread the kitchen garbage all over the place, it got into a cabinet and dumped out flour and cornmeal. And a box of raisin bran cereal, from which all the raisins were picked out and the bran flakes ground into a fine powder.

We have a pet door to a screened porch today, and the animals in the household like it. No uninvited critters have gotten in, so far as I know.