• The KillerFrogs

One of my favorite Billy Tubbs memories

PurpleBlood87

Although I wasn't there, I remember when TCU played at Las Vegas and Tubbs handed the players sparklers that were lit when the lights went down at the Thomas & Mack Center for the Runnin' Rebels laser light introduction show. I believe this was when Billy Bayno was the coach at UNLV. He and Tubbs had a running on-going feud.

Small mention of the incident in the article.

UNLV-TCU basketball

Annoying Group of 20

Wasn't the story that an assistant coach had to drive out to the county line to buy the sparklers?

I'm not sure if it was the same year, but Tubbs handing the fax from someone on Killerfrogs to the Hawaii coach with his comments in the paper was also a high water mark for this site.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I remember when he was flown down to the Houston Alumni Golf Extravaganza right after he signed. Billy was handed the mic at dinner and off he went:

"I don't see why everybody's so worked up over the Big XII..." he said in his deranged Jack Nicholson manner. "They get to go to Columbia, Missouri and Manhattan, Kansas. We get to go to San Diego and Las Vegas. Las Vegas."

"I've been to Manhattan, Kansas. It sucks."

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Jul 1 2010, 12:00 PM) [snapback]591931[/snapback]
I remember when he was flown down to the Houston Alumni Golf Extravaganza right after he signed. Billy was handed the mic at dinner and off he went:

"I don't see why everybody's so worked up over the Big XII..." he said in his deranged Jack Nicholson manner. "They get to go to Columbia, Missouri and Manhattan, Kansas. We get to go to San Diego and Las Vegas. Las Vegas."

"I've been to Manhattan, Kansas. It sucks."

I heard Billy drove to Houston in his go kart made of pickles.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Jul 1 2010, 12:02 PM) [snapback]591934[/snapback]
I miss Billy Tubbs...both the real one and the fake one.

Actually talked to Billy on the phone a couple of weeks ago. Engaging as always. When I brought up his TCU days, he said: "We had a lot of fun, didn't we?"
Greatness.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:19 AM) [snapback]591906[/snapback]
Although I wasn't there, I remember when TCU played at Las Vegas and Tubbs handed the players sparklers that were lit when the lights went down at the Thomas & Mack Center for the Runnin' Rebels laser light introduction show. I believe this was when Billy Bayno was the coach at UNLV. He and Tubbs had a running on-going feud.

Small mention of the incident in the article.

UNLV-TCU basketball

Not there, but my favorite.

Was there for his being hit in the eye with a penny at SMU, then going back next wear wearing goggles. I put that right up there.

The man is greatness.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
When he was still at OU, Sooners were at home against I believe KSU in a televised game. Crowd was mad at the refs and started throwing things on the floor.

The refs asked Tubbs to make the fans stop or risk getting a T.

Tubbs took the PA mic and said, "Please do not throw things on the floor, no matter how bad the officiating is."

The crowd howled in laughter and applause and, IIRC, Tubbs got a T.

It is good to talk to you again, Chuck. I remember one time when I went for a ride with a vat of ostrich butter in a submarine made of beer and styrofoam. Then Kurt Thomas and I made love to the sounds of a Venezuelan kazoo band playing 'Enter Sandman'.

I am insane now, Chuck.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(2314 @ Jul 1 2010, 12:21 PM) [snapback]591948[/snapback]
Actually talked to Billy on the phone a couple of weeks ago. Engaging as always. When I brought up his TCU days, he said: "We had a lot of fun, didn't we?"
Greatness.

When I was in school, Billyball was just about all we had to cheer for. Those games were a lot of fun.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jul 1 2010, 01:01 PM) [snapback]591980[/snapback]
When he was still at OU, Sooners were at home against I believe KSU in a televised game. Crowd was mad at the refs and started throwing things on the floor.

Tubbs took the PA mic and said, "Please do not throw things on the floor, no matter how bad the officiating is."

I remember that! Awesome.

Houston Frog

I didn't start following TCU sports until 2000, right when Tubbs was winding down his time in Fort Worth. Reading this thread (and others), it's clear he was quite a character, but I don't know much about him. If anyone feels like kind of summarizing his story (and explaining "The Fake Billy Tubbs" seemingly random ramblings that always crack me up), I'd be much obliged.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jul 1 2010, 01:30 PM) [snapback]592004[/snapback]
I didn't start following TCU sports until 2000, right when Tubbs was winding down his time in Fort Worth. Reading this thread (and others), it's clear he was quite a character, but I don't know much about him. If anyone feels like kind of summarizing his story (and explaining "The Fake Billy Tubbs" seemingly random ramblings that always crack me up), I'd be much obliged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglrzDO2etA

http://www.theunticket.com/fake-billy-tubbs-steps-down/

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jul 1 2010, 01:30 PM) [snapback]592004[/snapback]

Chuck?
biocoop.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]OR[/SIZE]

Chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?
billy.jpg

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jul 1 2010, 01:01 PM) [snapback]591980[/snapback]

Sounds like Sam Wyche, when he was the head coach at Cincinnati, making an announcement to try and calm down the crowd saying "You don't live in Cleveland!"

"You Don't Live in Cleveland"

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Jul 1 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]592013[/snapback]
Sounds like Sam Wyche, when he was the head coach at Cincinnati, making an announcement to try and calm down the crowd saying "You don't live in Cleveland!"

"You Don't Live in Cleveland"

Excellent comparison!