• The KillerFrogs

on3: Max Duggan finally has learned to relax and have fun – and TCU is 4-0

Toad Jones

Let's face it our previous offensive system and coaches just about ruined Duggan. Duggan too often took the blame for the system and coaching failures in the old offense. I am not one to look back and beat a dead horse. However, the last several years our offense had the imagination of a real toad and a dead one at that.

This new staff and their offense is about being imaginative, everyone doing their job, sharing the ball and the load and then making plays. Riley has taught our QB's to read, check off and get the ball down field. It is no longer read one guy and if he is not open then run like hell as far as you can.
Unfortunate that Max had to endure such pressure. What erks me is the old staff didn't realize their body of work and either lighten up or change their coaching style. Wouldn't you realize if you had 20 + years of coaching. You might go so far to say, they caused his performance to be questionable.

Love the sentence from Dykes, he's relaxed, confident and playing very well. The current staff did that for Max and now it
's paying big dividends. Dykes...'he's throwing passes that he never threw before. Amazing!'... You know what, we will see that and more, I think!!
Did you notice his TD scamper last week, he was leaving the defensive speed guys in his dust. WTG Max..

I want to give full credit to Max for putting in the work to do what he has done so far this year but I imagine it would be extremely enlightening if we were to ever get a full account of the level of preparation that he is getting from this coaching staff compared to what he was given previously.

Sebastian S

I think one of the biggest changes is confidence. With GP he afraid to make a mistake. Now he just runs the offense and enjoys himself.

Same with the defense. I think GP took the "guru" label too far and made things too complicated for his players to understand.

It's looking more and more like the problems the last few years were not x's and o's and play calling. It looks like the whole team was a headcase.
Our defense under patterson is like what OU's defense looked like against us. Players not sure and lost.

Sebastian S

And it seems like Max is a lot more comfortable, before you noticed he was almost run as soon as the 1st option is not open.

Now he sits back there and goes through his progressions and I was actually surprised he didn't run more.

But I guess a good O line does that but I hope they just keep it up. OU talent wise is probably the best they will face until UT.

4th. down

I want to give full credit to Max for putting in the work to do what he has done so far this year but I imagine it would be extremely enlightening if we were to ever get a full account of the level of preparation that he is getting from this coaching staff compared to what he was given previously.
I liked Kenny and he did a good job for us in '17 but a QB coach for a Power 5 with NO experience?........Dugan has come a long way on a rough road he has traveled. It's been a cluster but now that's all behind him and it's GoFrogs.

Toad Jones

I liked Kenny and he did a good job for us in '17 but a QB coach for a Power 5 with NO experience?........Dugan has come a long way on a rough road he has traveled. It's been a cluster but now that's all behind him and it's GoFrogs.
In order for Gary to maintain his comfort level, he had to have coaches whom he could *control. How many times did you see Gary go after special team coach. Dan would stand up now and then, but in the end, all the coach's just took a seat in the trunk bidding their time before the AD said, enough is enough..Don't you think that is the real backstory of twenty some odd years of coaching.? I've said many times, five years ago, the WHOLE bunch lowered their expectations of themselves and became a hanger on? FIRMLY believe del Conti saw what was ahead and did not want to tangle with three or four guys that kept Gary comfortable. Also, CDC did all he could do at that point and knew it was time to move on. Regardless of what you think of del Conti, he moved TCU firmly down the tracks, and it became better!

Just listen to a conversation of Gary and within minutes you knew he had an issue with control, which also meant he had to have an atmosphere he could *control. At best, a level three with **confrontation was about the limit. IF a coaching job of rank is offered, he will repeat the procedures of little to no adaptability, creativity.,etc. If UT wants him as HC, that would be V E R Y interesting.

*Nobody can talk, nobody. I don't trust anybody.
**Remember the relationship with the media?

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

Nice to see what wonders can happen when bad coaches leave... *Kenny Hill cough, cough

That dude was gifted a job, and never deserved one.

tcudoc

One of these days I’m hoping to get permission to share some stories told to me by one of my corporate teammates who’s FIL was a long-time head coach and AD at Max’s high school. Suffice it to say at this point but Max is beloved and the “dragon heart” RG3 kept talking about was evident quite some time ago.
“Stop dragon my heart around”
-Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks

PineyWoodsFrog

I have not been a big supporter of Max and I don't think I was wrong leading up to this year, but I can admit he's proven me wrong this year. And I'm not in the "wait til he reverts back to the old Max" camp (although those 2 misses on the 2nd drive last week scared the daylights out of me). I'm proud of him, happy for him, and looking forward to him leading this team the rest of the season.