• The KillerFrogs

on3: Max Duggan finally has learned to relax and have fun – and TCU is 4-0

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Max Duggan finally has learned to relax and have fun – and TCU is 4-0​

Ivan Maisel

MaxDugganTCU1.png

The fourth-year backup quarterback who refused to enter the transfer portal is a rare specimen in college football these days. The only specimen rarer may be the fourth-year backup quarterback who, five weeks into the season, leads the FBS in passing efficiency.

In an era when 47 percent of FBS teams start a transfer at quarterback, Max Duggan decided to stay at TCU. He came from Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 2019 and fell in love with the Fort Worth campus, fell in love with his teammates and too often fell in love with the first receiver he spotted after taking the snap.

Read more at https://www.on3.com/news/tcu-quarterback-max-duggan-finally-has-learned-to-relax-have-fun/

Horny4TCU

Wasn't he the starter the last three years? Keep on calling him the back up, kind of rude. That also might be the secret sauce to keeping him motivated. Whatever it is, stay focused young man, you're doing it right.

Last edited:

Palliative Care

Let's face it our previous offensive system and coaches just about ruined Duggan. Duggan too often took the blame for the system and coaching failures in the old offense. I am not one to look back and beat a dead horse. However, the last several years our offense had the imagination of a real toad and a dead one at that.

This new staff and their offense is about being imaginative, everyone doing their job, sharing the ball and the load and then making plays. Riley has taught our QB's to read, check off and get the ball down field. It is no longer read one guy and if he is not open then run like hell as far as you can.

AroundWorldFrog

Let's face it our previous offensive system and coaches just about ruined Duggan. Duggan too often took the blame for the system and coaching failures in the old offense. I am not one to look back and beat a dead horse. However, the last several years our offense had the imagination of a real toad and a dead one at that.

This new staff and their offense is about being imaginative, everyone doing their job, sharing the ball and the load and then making plays. Riley has taught our QB's to read, check off and get the ball down field. It is no longer read one guy and if he is not open then run like hell as far as you can.
This, so much this.

FrankDMaynard

I thought the comment Max made about getting beat when you start letting your accomplishments go your head was key. I'm not sure of the quote I heard recently, but the gist was, "There is nothing more dangerous to your future success than your present success." That pretty much sums it up not matter what you do for living and it probably spills over into relationships as well.

Limp Lizard

I think one of the biggest changes is confidence. With GP he afraid to make a mistake. Now he just runs the offense and enjoys himself.

Same with the defense. I think GP took the "guru" label too far and made things too complicated for his players to understand.

It's looking more and more like the problems the last few years were not x's and o's and play calling. It looks like the whole team was a headcase.

Eight

been discussed time and time again on this site, how max would miss open throws because it appeared he was too amped up, he would rush through plays almost as if he was thinking it through instead of recognizing and trusting his talent and his teammates

the really interesting thing to me is not how well is max playing now, but what the ceiling is for he and his teammates this season

Limey Frog

the really interesting thing to me is not how well is max playing now, but what the ceiling is for he and his teammates this season

We'll know the answer to that in nine days' time.

Coaching matters. Thank goodness that five miserable years of beating this drum are over.

Dogfrog

Through all the comments about what a terrible passer he was, it always seemed to me he was playing as if someone told him - you throw interceptions you don’t play. His passes looked like he was focused on placing passes where they could not be intercepted rather than just playing football.

Shorty

I think one of the biggest changes is confidence. With GP he afraid to make a mistake. Now he just runs the offense and enjoys himself.

Same with the defense. I think GP took the "guru" label too far and made things too complicated for his players to understand.

It's looking more and more like the problems the last few years were not x's and o's and play calling. It looks like the whole team was a headcase.

Pharm Frog

One of these days I’m hoping to get permission to share some stories told to me by one of my corporate teammates who’s FIL was a long-time head coach and AD at Max’s high school. Suffice it to say at this point but Max is beloved and the “dragon heart” RG3 kept talking about was evident quite some time ago.

JogginFrog

I don't usually come away from these types of reads feeling like I learned a lot, but dang, there was a LOT in that one!
I was not a fan of Maisel when he was at the Star-Telegram. He had a wanna-be-columnist air without having interesting takes. He's improved (or has vastly better editors...or both). The early bit (about falling in love with the first receiver he saw) works because it's not only a joke but gives useful background.

And the stat about lowering his carries per game from 11 to 5.8 is something I hadn't seen, and it speaks volumes. Always a threat to run, but now much more dangerous through the air, causing big problems for opposing defenses.

Nice job, Ivan and On3.

Dogfrog

I was not a fan of Maisel when he was at the Star-Telegram. He had a wanna-be-columnist air without having interesting takes. He's improved (or has vastly better editors...or both). The early bit (about falling in love with the first receiver he saw) works because it's not only a joke but gives useful background.

And the stat about lowering his carries per game from 11 to 5.8 is something I hadn't seen, and it speaks volumes. Always a threat to run, but now much more dangerous through the air, causing big problems for opposing defenses.

Nice job, Ivan and On3.
Knew he was at the Morning Snooze but not aware about the Startlegram.