• The KillerFrogs

Olympics Thread

Pharm Frog

I tried the other day but I just have absolutely zero interest in this. I’d rather send the best 25-30 college kids or an entire team of the best minor league prospects than whatever this is.

I only follow on statcast. Haven’t “seen” a single pitch. But I have read some interesting stories about the has beens and the possibly never wills. But I agree that I’d prefer to see the best college kids (but I’d also prefer that for basketball, golf, etc)

Wrestling - Gable Dan Steveson, super heavyweight from Apple Valley, Minnesota, wrestled for the gold this morning. He is 21 and named after Dan Gable, the storied wrestler and coach from Iowa - how about that for pre-determining your path in life, and it worked out. Yesterday Steveson beat the Rio games gold medalist Taha Akgul from Turkey in the quarterfinals 8-0 and another wrestler 5-0 in the semi. The gold medal match this morning was versus Geno Petriashvili from Georgia. Geno was favored and the World Champ gold medalist of 2017, ‘18 and ‘19.

Steveson trailed 8-5 and then tallied a two point takedown with 9 seconds left, and then another in the final second, for the gold. A penalty point due to Geno’s team unsuccessfully challenging that time had expired made the final score 10-8. Steveson weighs 260 pounds and after the win he did his signature backflip with some serious hop. He plans on joining WWE and then do movies, like The Rock.

Last edited:

Eight

Wrestling - Gable Dan Steveson, super heavyweight from Apple Valley, Minnesota, wrestled for the gold this morning. He is 21 and named after Dan Gable, the storied wrestler and coach from Iowa - how about that for pre-determining your path in life, and it worked out. Yesterday Steveson beat the Rio games gold medalist Taha Akgul from Turkey in the quarterfinals 8-0 and another wrestler 5-0 in the semi. The gold medal match this morning was versus Geno Petriashvili from Georgia. Geno was favored and the World Champ gold medalist of 2017, ‘18 and ‘19.

Steveson trailed 8-5 and then tallied a two point take down with 9 seconds left, and then another in the final second, for the gold. A penalty point due to Geno’s team unsuccessfully challenging that time had expired made the final score 10-8. Steveson weighs 260 pounds and after the win he did his signature backflip with some serious hop. He plans on joining WWE and then do movies, like The Rock.

watched the match this morning and he dominated early until he had a bad stretch where his opponent went from down 5-2 to up 8-5 in a matter of seconds

the last 20 seconds was great and he won it right at the end

watched the match this morning and he dominated early until he had a bad stretch where his opponent went from down 5-2 to up 8-5 in a matter of seconds

the last 20 seconds was great and he won it right at the end
Yes, I was feeling good thinking Steveson might control the match, and then the letdown from the sudden turn and what seemingly was not enough time, recognizing that Geno just had to play defense. I assumed it was over. Doesn’t get any closer than that, an Olympic highlight. The 21 year old lad took down the two men who had dominated since 2014. Really surprised Geno gave up that last takedown, went down on the mat and let Gable get around on him.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

I agree. Unreal. I think her petite size is also an advantage. She can barely weigh 85 pounds so how big a splash can that little thing make? Her form was terrific too of course.
Yeah, she was tiny.
Female swimmers still have the credit for best looking at the pool.
If only we had a picture of one ... hmm ...

Mean Purple

I’m ready for this to be over now. Not the greatest Olympics coverage and competition by a long shot. Other than a few specific athletes or races/sports I like, not very exciting.

And I really do like watching the Olympics. some great great sports memories I have are from the Olympics.
It alwasy seems like it takes too long to get to the big finals in track and field after swimming is over. So there is a gap where I am just watching and waiting.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Front page of ESPN.com...

View attachment 9343
200px-Cornholio.jpg

Last edited: