• The KillerFrogs

Olympics Thread

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'll applaud Chiles' bravery. The way she stepped up and stepped in was a big reason the ladies team got the Silver.
GfoOelr_.jpg

YA

Oh for the love of god I couldn’t care less what her sex is and I really couldn’t care less what her race is. There will NEVER be equality in this country because no matter what anyone does there will always be a large segment of society that will be endlessly offended just like the author of this article.
Glad you disagree as I would not expect anything less. The articles point was, like many here in this thread, have said that she is weak, etc. and its BS to have that opinion.

Like any of you know the pressures she is going thru to be an multiple gold Olympic gymnast.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Does USA gymnastics use tax dollars to train Olympians and potential Olympians? I’m assuming the basketball team isn’t paying their own way, correct? Or the swimming team, etc?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Glad you disagree as I would not expect anything less. The articles point was, like many here in this thread, have said that she is weak, etc. and its BS to have that opinion.

Like any of you know the pressures she is going thru to be an multiple gold Olympic gymnast.
The "article" was a lengthy list of excuses, larded up with a bunch of agitprop crap. As to "weak", FIL just up above blows that up: The Russian girl did what she had to do, with the pressure on, with the world watching. She didn't get to make an excuse. How about the story of the Silver Medalist in Judo? He wasn't facing any pressure, no sirree... (If you remember, one of the lovely Hussein Brothers shot the members of the Iraqi Soccer Team after they lost a match. Again. No pressure...)

It's damned sad that this poor girl is being yanked around by everybody in the Sports world. Up until about 48 hours ago, she was the Face of the Olympics and the cash cow for Team USA*. Now, they're falling back on ridiculous garbage to explain why it all went sideways, and try to get some political points in: Always the narrative. Never mind that as soon as her use is no longer effective, they'll drop her down the memory hole. A tool that has outlived it's usefulness. Never a thought for the girl whose efforts, time, and life have been crushed by unrelenting gravity of Media. They'll just move on to the next victim... Um, subject.

*Megan Rapinoe was unavailable for comment.

Moose Stuff

And all I have maintained is that I don’t want to watch the coverage of it. Never said she was weak, never judged her for it. Simply said when I watch sports I don’t watch to see people who chose to quit on their team be celebrated for it. The article was pure nonsense FWIW.

Bob Sugar

The "article" was a lengthy list of excuses, larded up with a bunch of agitprop crap. As to "weak", FIL just up above blows that up: The Russian girl did what she had to do, with the pressure on, with the world watching. She didn't get to make an excuse. How about the story of the Silver Medalist in Judo? He wasn't facing any pressure, no sirree... (If you remember, one of the lovely Hussein Brothers shot the members of the Iraqi Soccer Team after they lost a match. Again. No pressure...)

It's damned sad that this poor girl is being yanked around by everybody in the Sports world. Up until about 48 hours ago, she was the Face of the Olympics and the cash cow for Team USA*. Now, they're falling back on ridiculous garbage to explain why it all went sideways, and try to get some political points in: Always the narrative. Never mind that as soon as her use is no longer effective, they'll drop her down the memory hole. A tool that has outlived it's usefulness. Never a thought for the girl whose efforts, time, and life have been crushed by unrelenting gravity of Media. They'll just move on to the next victim... Um, subject.

*Megan Rapinoe was unavailable for comment.
Exactly. She is being celebrated more than any other Olympian right now, for not competing. Katie Ledecky hoped to pull a Michael Phelps, but she was upset for gold in the 400M Free and didn't even medal in the 200M Free. But she came back and kicked ass in the 1500M Free and won gold about an hour after she didn't medal in the 200M Free. No one should bag on Biles. She's still the MJ of her sport. But she's not the hero of this Olympics, which the media is trying to assert right now.

AroundWorldFrog

Bottom line is that there is a line of gymnasts (as well as every other sport) a mile long that would have given their left nut (or equivalent) to compete in these Olympics. I'm guessing she'll gladly do the talk show tour and make a few bucks.

jake102

Has this ever happened before? Phelps won like 17 medals in a chase for all time greatness. Been a lot of highly regarded athletes over the years and the instances of someone quitting are basically none until Osaka started in tennis this year.

Mean Purple

Does USA gymnastics use tax dollars to train Olympians and potential Olympians? I’m assuming the basketball team isn’t paying their own way, correct? Or the swimming team, etc?
I think it is mostly sponsor dollars, broadcast rights, corp partners, etc. But not sure. Swim Team gets quite a bit via USA Swimming. And they seem to raise funds well.

Mean Purple

Exactly. She is being celebrated more than any other Olympian right now, for not competing. Katie Ledecky hoped to pull a Michael Phelps, but she was upset for gold in the 400M Free and didn't even medal in the 200M Free. But she came back and kicked ass in the 1500M Free and won gold about an hour after she didn't medal in the 200M Free. No one should bag on Biles. She's still the MJ of her sport. But she's not the hero of this Olympics, which the media is trying to assert right now.
Katie destroyed the field in the 1500M to make history. Biggest female story of this olympics. And her teammate came on strong for silver. Hoping Katie takes the 800 too.
Also good to note the Lilly, who missed repeating gold and got bronze, was still mega excited for Lydia Jacoby. I was kinda worried for USA Swimming when the games got delayed. That hurt some veterans coming back. But these rookies are showing well. Should be a good next few olympics for the team.

Eight

Katie destroyed the field in the 1500M to make history. Biggest female story of this olympics. And her teammate came on strong for silver. Hoping Katie takes the 800 too.
Also good to note the Lilly, who missed repeating gold and got bronze, was still mega excited for Lydia Jacoby. I was kinda worried for USA Swimming when the games got delayed. That hurt some veterans coming back. But these rookies are showing well. Should be a good next few olympics for the team.

think there are a number of participants who were just on the back side of their peaks last year but were coming back for one last charge before the postponement and they have struggled to regain that mental and physical edge

Mean Purple

And all I have maintained is that I don’t want to watch the coverage of it. Never said she was weak, never judged her for it. Simply said when I watch sports I don’t watch to see people who chose to quit on their team be celebrated for it. The article was pure nonsense FWIW.

And to be fair, I don't blame Biles for the insane coverage by the media. My guess is she wants to move on. But the media went all social issue justice coming in to the games and they have some insane intent to keep her propped up and drug into the middle of it.

Mean Purple

think there are a number of participants who were just on the back side of their peaks last year but were coming back for one last charge before the postponement and they have struggled to regain that mental and physical edge
I thought Nathan Adrian would have been gold last year. He had battled the health scare, etc. well. He was always a balanced approach to his work. He just missed out this year.

Bob Sugar

I also wonder if the Olympic village party scene plays any role. Most gymnasts are too young to get wrapped up in that. Biles is 24. That could also add to concentration issues.

Eight

I also wonder if the Olympic village party scene plays any role. Most gymnasts are too young to get wrapped up in that. Biles is 24. That could also add to concentration issues.

maybe just not the olympic party scene, she is 24, has a long time boy friend, has started some different ventures and has been going through this grind longer than some of her teammates have been alive

a local gym owner told me she had shut it done and was ready to get on with her life, he could be wrong, but you look at her at the trials and then the other night and it is pretty obvious she just doesn't have the drive that she once did and the other night she made a comment she doesn't trust her skills like she once did