• The KillerFrogs

OL Grade

Froggish

Haven’t pass blocked well in a while but I will give that line credit, even not being great they created a better pocket against CAL than we’ve seen in a long time. Also the worst pass blocker against CAL was Avila who is thought to be one our better lineman. He gave up 1 sack and was also directly responsible for Maxs grounding penalty the play prior to his pick 6…

froglash88

A+ is a pretty good grade I hear

The O line is much improved. When it’s all said and done, I think Cal will probably have the best defense we see all year. If not, it will be top 2.

CountryFrog

StatsoWar was talking about how these OL grades are littered with errors. Basically some min wage high school kids pounding numbers into a database but accuracy is lacking.
There is no site out there that can give accurate grades on any of this. Not PFF, not anyone. The only way you can truly grade players is if you know exactly what their specific assignment is on every play and how their coaches have told them to do things. So unless you're a coach on the team then you can't give accurate grades.

I think these kinds of things can be a decent starting point for a conversation, though, as long as you understand the flaws. It's more flawed for OL, DL, and LB than anyone else as you alluded to because so few people have any level of understanding of how those positions are supposed to be played to begin with regardless of the other things I mentioned.

These same things by the way are why I put so little stock into any recruiting web site's evaluations of HS players. They're good at identifying who is big and fast and has lots of offers. Not as good at identifying who is actually good at playing football.

Old Greg

I thought this was going to be about Old Greg.
b238dad4cd7d587d9c6f8921a6fe0a33.gif