• The KillerFrogs

OK, so why is Montigel let go?

Brog

Bill Montigel has been a part of TCU athletics for what will soon to be his 45th, and last, year with the department. TCU director of athletics Jeremiah Donati confirmed that the longtime TCU men’s golf coach is expected to step down after the 2022-23 season. According to multiple sources, Montigel’s contract was not renewed. He has told friends that he is not retiring and he wants to continue coaching.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article263176868.html#storylink=cpy

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Bill Montigel has been a part of TCU athletics for what will soon to be his 45th, and last, year with the department. TCU director of athletics Jeremiah Donati confirmed that the longtime TCU men’s golf coach is expected to step down after the 2022-23 season. According to multiple sources, Montigel’s contract was not renewed. He has told friends that he is not retiring and he wants to continue coaching.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article263176868.html#storylink=cpy
Hmmm, not even a statue…

ticketfrog123

Also bid adieu to the 18-year track coach. OK, so ADJD is putting on his Big Boy, Ruthless britches. . . Better get strong results, bro.
Pretty sure these are both clown moves by Donati. Trying to save face when the the results of season ticket sales are revealed at the first few home games.

Season ticket renewals were abysmal and Donati will be on the chopping block for dropping the ball and letting it get to this state

JogginFrog

The team's poor performance this year (missing the NCAA tournament after returning 4 of 5 starters from a team that was 16th in last year's NCAAs) could not have helped.

But a bigger reason may be that TCU did not land high-profile legacy recruits from the families of two prominent alumni: Charles Coody's grandsons and Connor Henry. All went to Big 12 rivals.

You can read some thoughts of those who know the situation better than I at https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/tcu-golf-2021-2022.228241/page-18. One poster simply said that new energy is needed.

I am hopeful that it could signal ADJD's willingness to take some action on improving facilities, because TCU has fallen way behind. (See https://www.gcmonline.com/course/environment/news/college-golf-practice-facilities and https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/ncaa-college-golf-best-practice-facilities/.)

My question about a coaching change has been, "What do you plan to give a new coach to recruit with?" Coach M has done as well as could be expected without a dedicated course and a top-notch practice facility that helps players prepare for various grasses and architectural styles. Hope ADJD will work to make TCU a great destination for coaches and players who expect to use college to prep to succeed as pros.

Less likely is that ADJD already has a candidate lined up, especially without some new facilities. But it has been noted that Stanford assistant coach Cole Buck is a TCU alum.

froggolf65

Should have happened many years ago.

TCUdirtbag

Pretty sure these are both clown moves by Donati. Trying to save face when the the results of season ticket sales are revealed at the first few home games.

Season ticket renewals were abysmal and Donati will be on the chopping block for dropping the ball and letting it get to this state
This is a naive take.

Most everyone’s sales tanked through Covid, and the losses are sustaining elsewhere too. For TCU, that coincided with our legendary head coach tanking our program. Of course sales are down. They knew it was coming too; hence the restructure of the price map etc. Donati’s job isn’t on the chopping block over season ticket sales, and the coach turnover is approved at the top. This whole post is silly.

Another interesting couple data sets on our season ticket base that are less impactful than the Covid-led and win-loss drop, but impactful nonetheless: we have a lot of season ticket holders in Dallas and elsewhere an hour+ drive away. There is an expectation that inflation/rising prices will reduce attendance for those traveling from out of town. On top of that, TCU has had a ton of season ticket holders in their 30s—in Fort Worth and all over the state—who were students or young alums in the 2007-2017 glory days. They became loyal season ticket holders and away game travelers. Now they have kids and are starting to have all the Saturday events that conflict with making it to AGCS. The newer iteration of young alums haven’t had unprecedented success to drive them back to AGCS; plus, the newer student body is less native Texan and more likely to take post-grad jobs further from Fort Worth. On the plus side, there are more alums getting churned out. And in the end, winning will drive sales. Need sonny to succeed.

Paul in uhh

The dude spent 45 years at TCU. This isn’t a charity and his teams haven’t been producing.

East Coast

Tier 1
This is a naive take.

Most everyone’s sales tanked through Covid, and the losses are sustaining elsewhere too. For TCU, that coincided with our legendary head coach tanking our program. Of course sales are down. They knew it was coming too; hence the restructure of the price map etc. Donati’s job isn’t on the chopping block over season ticket sales, and the coach turnover is approved at the top. This whole post is silly.

Another interesting couple data sets on our season ticket base that are less impactful than the Covid-led and win-loss drop, but impactful nonetheless: we have a lot of season ticket holders in Dallas and elsewhere an hour+ drive away. There is an expectation that inflation/rising prices will reduce attendance for those traveling from out of town. On top of that, TCU has had a ton of season ticket holders in their 30s—in Fort Worth and all over the state—who were students or young alums in the 2007-2017 glory days. They became loyal season ticket holders and away game travelers. Now they have kids and are starting to have all the Saturday events that conflict with making it to AGCS. The newer iteration of young alums haven’t had unprecedented success to drive them back to AGCS; plus, the newer student body is less native Texan and more likely to take post-grad jobs further from Fort Worth. On the plus side, there are more alums getting churned out. And in the end, winning will drive sales. Need sonny to succeed.
Consider the source my man. It's not like Montigel is being thrown out like used dishwater. He is being allowed a final roundup, and is basically being retired from TCU. Lots of folks continue to work after retiring from a career defining job.

Big Frog II

Bill Montigel is a really good person. Sadly he's getting up there in years like the rest of us. Letting him finish his contract out was the decent thing to do. I would imagine he will be around 68 at that time. Probably time to make a switch.

As for season ticket sales, 4 mediocre to bad years are the reason for their slump. At the cost of tickets, too many people viewed it as not worth sitting there for 3 1/2 hours to watch what we were seeing.

MTfrog5

Great family and I hope Thomas sticks around cause it sounds like he’s doing well in the basketball coaching world. Think it was time but damn I hope they are able to figure out how to get some decent golf facilities. That has held TCU back more than anything imo

First Tee Frog

Bill is a great guy and has done amazing things for TCU. It’s time and it was probably past time. Sands is obviously the betting favorite but that’s no slam dunk. He could very well win a national championship next year at tech. Plus he has 2 high school kids and a kid at tech. Cole would be great but he is very very young. My first year at tvs was his last year in college and he was my assistant. My pick is Bill Alcorn from OU. Played at Baylor and has done a great job since he got to OU.

Brog

The team's poor performance this year (missing the NCAA tournament after returning 4 of 5 starters from a team that was 16th in last year's NCAAs) could not have helped.

But a bigger reason may be that TCU did not land high-profile legacy recruits from the families of two prominent alumni: Charles Coody's grandsons and Connor Henry. All went to Big 12 rivals.

You can read some thoughts of those who know the situation better than I at https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/tcu-golf-2021-2022.228241/page-18. One poster simply said that new energy is needed.

I am hopeful that it could signal ADJD's willingness to take some action on improving facilities, because TCU has fallen way behind. (See https://www.gcmonline.com/course/environment/news/college-golf-practice-facilities and https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/ncaa-college-golf-best-practice-facilities/.)

My question about a coaching change has been, "What do you plan to give a new coach to recruit with?" Coach M has done as well as could be expected without a dedicated course and a top-notch practice facility that helps players prepare for various grasses and architectural styles. Hope ADJD will work to make TCU a great destination for coaches and players who expect to use college to prep to succeed as pros.

Less likely is that ADJD already has a candidate lined up, especially without some new facilities. But it has been noted that Stanford assistant coach Cole Buck is a TCU alum.
Thanks for this info. But it makes me wonder, what kind of "new facilities" are needed? Offices for the coach? We've got a nearby pretty good Country Club. What else do we need?

Purp

This is a naive take.

I'm in the group you described as long time loyal season ticket holders who now miss more games than they make because of kids. We used to tailgate with 5-6 buddies and their wives every game and we all went in afterward. Then we would go in and sit with 3-4 other friends and their wives who tailgated on the other side of the stadium. Of those 10 or so couples we'd see every Saturday I can think of only 1 or 2 who come with any regularity. The rest have either dropped season tickets altogether or don't come because of conflicts.

My wife and I have kept our tickets and parking spot, but with two boys and a daughter playing fall sports our Saturdays are always slammed. Unless we get a night game there's a 6-8 week period where we can pretty much guarantee we'll miss. Both boys play soccer and baseball and my daughter plays soccer. We're guaranteed to have 3 soccer games and at least 1 baseball game every Saturday once both seasons start. We aren't the only ones. We'll be back to regular attendance like we did before the kids were old enough to play sports in about 12 - 15 years. Until then it's going to be 1-3 games a season depending on the way the schedules line up and how many night games we can get.

We're the same way for baseball and a little bit like that for basketball too. It's just the way it is. If there were a way to guarantee we could get great seats in 15 years when we're ready to attend every game again I'd drop my season tickets. I wonder often why I still buy all these season tickets b/c it's really a dumb financial move. We probably spend $6,000 a year on season tickets/parking passes for various sports and actually attended 1 football game each of the past 2 seasons, 2 baseball games this season and 5 last season (mostly because of the seating reassignments allowing us to horse trade games we couldn't make more more seats to the games we could attend), and probably 1/3 of the basketball games.

Over the last few years we've had 2 kids playing multiple sports that's $18K I could have gotten way more value from elsewhere. Over the next 15 years that's $90K. For an 18 year period it's over $100K. I'm not making a smart decision, but fandom is almost always irrational. I'll be seriously reevaluating those decisions every subsequent year until my daughter is done with busy weekends. I may just drop football and keep basketball and baseball since baseball is less expensive and basketball we can actually attend a decent number of games. Either way, it's a very real problem for my demographic.

Wexahu

I'm in the group you described as long time loyal season ticket holders who now miss more games than they make because of kids. We used to tailgate with 5-6 buddies and their wives every game and we all went in afterward. Then we would go in and sit with 3-4 other friends and their wives who tailgated on the other side of the stadium. Of those 10 or so couples we'd see every Saturday I can think of only 1 or 2 who come with any regularity. The rest have either dropped season tickets altogether or don't come because of conflicts.

My wife and I have kept our tickets and parking spot, but with two boys and a daughter playing fall sports our Saturdays are always slammed. Unless we get a night game there's a 6-8 week period where we can pretty much guarantee we'll miss. Both boys play soccer and baseball and my daughter plays soccer. We're guaranteed to have 3 soccer games and at least 1 baseball game every Saturday once both seasons start. We aren't the only ones. We'll be back to regular attendance like we did before the kids were old enough to play sports in about 12 - 15 years. Until then it's going to be 1-3 games a season depending on the way the schedules line up and how many night games we can get.

We're the same way for baseball and a little bit like that for basketball too. It's just the way it is. If there were a way to guarantee we could get great seats in 15 years when we're ready to attend every game again I'd drop my season tickets. I wonder often why I still buy all these season tickets b/c it's really a dumb financial move. We probably spend $6,000 a year on season tickets/parking passes for various sports and actually attended 1 football game each of the past 2 seasons, 2 baseball games this season and 5 last season (mostly because of the seating reassignments allowing us to horse trade games we couldn't make more more seats to the games we could attend), and probably 1/3 of the basketball games.

Over the last few years we've had 2 kids playing multiple sports that's $18K I could have gotten way more value from elsewhere. Over the next 15 years that's $90K. For an 18 year period it's over $100K. I'm not making a smart decision, but fandom is almost always irrational. I'll be seriously reevaluating those decisions every subsequent year until my daughter is done with busy weekends. I may just drop football and keep basketball and baseball since baseball is less expensive and basketball we can actually attend a decent number of games. Either way, it's a very real problem for my demographic.
The only way to justify it financially is to consider it a donation.

I'm sure you're well aware, but you can go to any football game you want and buy tickets the night before and spend anywhere from $20-100/seat (that includes fees), and sit pretty much about anywhere you want. The stadium is generally about half full, even for the big games, no matter what the "attendance" figures say. I'm always amazed at how many empty seats are around us.