• The KillerFrogs

Ohio State 2014 vs TCU 2019

LeagueCityFrog

Medium Read.

Just a kind reminder, this is a long season and SMU could be better this year than we think. Ohio State in 2014 lost to a bad Virginia Tech team in Columbus by two touchdowns. The Buckeyes didn't feel sorry for themselves, they went out there and worked. At the end of their work that season, they were the national champions. TCU lost to a rival by three points after spotting them THREE fumbles on our side of the fifty. I think we were all feeling pretty good winning by 21 points at a 60,000 plus night crowd at Purdue. That was 9 days ago. If Gary wants to be the man yet again, tighten up this defense and figure something out with the plays being called on this offense. TCU has probably 8-9 NFL players next year on this team. The talent is there, but they need to start unloading the clip on teams like Iowa State did on ULM last weekend (72 point scored) and what Ohio State did after they lost at home in 2014. Best case scenario is that we win the rest of our games, somehow, and beat OU in the Big XII championship. The loss to SMU will not loom as large at the end of November and will be discounted as a loss to a rival after we had a big 21 point win at a Big Ten school's house.

Below is a reminder of what Ohio State did in 2014 after they pulled the same unfortunate stunt TCU did last Saturday. All that matters is what they are saying about this TCU team and their merit come the end of November. Rally the horses!

And to the negative Nancies that blow this thread off and complain after I post this, I was at both Alamo Bowls and learned to never doubt the fight of TCU football and don't doubt Gary Patterson, especially when he is wearing purple instead of black. Go Frogs and let's beat those Jayhawks!

2014 Ohio State Football Schedule
Date Opponent Time/TV Result
Saturday
Aug. 30 vs Navy MidshipmenM&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD 12:00pm ET W 34-17
Saturday
Sep. 6 Virginia Tech HokiesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 8:00pm ET L 35-21
Saturday
Sep. 13 Kent State Golden FlashesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 12:00pm ET W 66-0
Saturday
Sep. 27 Cincinnati BearcatsOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 6:00pm ET W 50-28
Saturday
Oct. 4 at Maryland TerrapinsByrd Stadium, College Park, MD 12:00pm ET W 52-24
Saturday
Oct. 18 Rutgers Scarlet KnightsOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 3:30pm ET W 56-17
Saturday
Oct. 25 at Penn State Nittany LionsBeaver Stadium, University Park, PA 8:00pm ET W 31-24(2OT)
Saturday
Nov. 1 Illinois Fighting IlliniOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 8:00pm ET W 55-14
Saturday
Nov. 8 at Michigan State SpartansSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI 8:00pm ET W 49-37
Saturday
Nov. 15 at Minnesota Golden GophersTCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN 12:00pm ET W 31-24
Saturday
Nov. 22 Indiana HoosiersOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 12:00pm ET W 42-27
Saturday
Nov. 29 Michigan WolverinesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH 12:00pm ET W 42-28
Big Ten Championship Game
Saturday
Dec. 6 vs Wisconsin BadgersLucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN 8:00pm ET W 59-0
Allstate Sugar Bowl
Thursday
Jan. 1 vs Alabama Crimson TideMercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA 9:00pm ETESPN W 42-35
CFP National Championship
Monday
Jan. 12 vs Oregon DucksAT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX 8:30pm ETESPN W 42-20

Zubaz

1) This is getting dangerously close to lighting the Wex Signal.

2) Yeah Ohio State, but puked on themselves for the V-Tech game, but other than that...they were solid even in the one game they played before. If this was a hiccup a la our 2005 or even 2011 losses to SMU, it'd be one thing, but a key portion of our offense (the passing game) has been pretty stinky for 3 straight games. One game you can excuse, but three games starts to become a trend, and when it costs you a game against a team that isn't close to the best team on your schedule...it just doesn't bode well.

LVH

No.

With that being said, a season like LSU had in 2017 is completely realistic, where they lost to Troy(and unlike us, didn't even really have a decent chance to win that game in the 4th quarter) yet still won 9 games.

If you really want to stretch it, Virginia Tech 2010. Lost to James Madison, won ACC and went to Orange Bowl.

I don't think we are as bad as people are saying on this board - I think the ship can get turned around, but let's be realistic.

y2kFrog

No.

With that being said, a season like LSU had in 2017 is completely realistic, where they lost to Troy(and unlike us, didn't even really have a decent chance to win that game in the 4th quarter) yet still won 9 games.

If you really want to stretch it, Virginia Tech 2010. Lost to James Madison, won ACC and went to Orange Bowl.

I don't think we are as bad as people are saying on this board - I think the ship can get turned around, but let's be realistic.

If Duggan turns into a competent passer will be fine. If he continues to play like a true freshman will lose game we probably shouldn’t otherwise.

Wexahu

1) This is getting dangerously close to lighting the Wex Signal.

2) Yeah Ohio State, but puked on themselves for the V-Tech game, but other than that...they were solid even in the one game they played before. If this was a hiccup a la our 2005 or even 2011 losses to SMU, it'd be one thing, but a key portion of our offense (the passing game) has been pretty stinky for 3 straight games. One game you can excuse, but three games starts to become a trend, and when it costs you a game against a team that isn't close to the best team on your schedule...it just doesn't bode well.

Three is kind. It's more like 13....or 23. Or even 33 if we have a high bar for ourselves. We've been talking about a lousy passing game since the end of the 2015 season.

LeagueCityFrog

Another example of digging yourself out of a home loss disaster was Oklahoma last year with the Heisman winner on their team who lost to an Iowa State team in Norman last season. What did OU do, they went back to work to win the remainder of their games last season and into the CFP they went. It is possible to recover from this.

Just keep grinding Frogs and remember last weekend and don't do it again. Ruined my Saturday, no more of those please.

LVH

If Duggan turns into a competent passer will be fine. If he continues to play like a true freshman will lose game we probably shouldn’t otherwise.

I think this will be a season like Dalton's freshman season/2012 once Boykin started playing unless Duggan can find another gear mid season. I think we still have enough talent to win games we won't be favored in.

LeagueCityFrog

I think this will be a season like Dalton's freshman season/2012 once Boykin started playing unless Duggan can find another gear mid season. I think we still have enough talent to win games we won't be favored in.

Like Sonny said after the SMU game, he, Sonny, needs to do a better job at the beginning of games getting Duggan into a completion rhythm. Duggan did great at Purdue and tossed 3 touchdowns the second half of the SMU game and was out their warrioring.

Maybe start Delton regardless and let the 5th year senior absorb the first couples of series energy and once the opposite defense starts to tire a bit bring in the Iowa high school gunslinger and get him in pace and rhythm.

HFrog12

Would love to think that this can be turned around and that Duggan will find his stride and everything will be roses. That being said, the glaring issue is who is calling plays. Three years in and it keeps getting worse. I can have all the faith in the world in Duggan and GP's defense but time and time again Cumbie fails us. Tom Herman was Ohio Sts offensive coordinator in 2014, not Sonny Cumbie. Going to hope my best that Cumbie has some revelation but I will need to see just a hint before I can believe again.

Wexahu

#KennyWasUnderrated

He had the 75th best QB rating in 2016 and 29th in 2017. Not saying he was bad but those are pretty average at best #'s for a QB in our system. I'm sure ifrog will be on here soon to defend. He was a solid game manager and a decent player but rarely did I think we had a better than average passing attack while he was here. We mostly struggled in that department. Go look at the stats and take away the FCS and Kansas games, but for a game here and there it wasn't all that impressive.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
LCF, one could observe that the glass is either half full, or half empty. One could also observe that the substance filling 50% of the glass is runny poop, too.

TCU has not had a consistent offense since 2015. Maybe 2017, but, naah. This season is dead for the purposes of Playoffs. Dead. With a stake in it's heart. Head cut off. Body burned. D-E-D dead.

The offense we have displayed over the last several seasons does not lend itself to feelings of confidence, or success. There is no consistency. No baseline. One would have thought that, say, Purdue was a baseline. That we'd take the level of execution seen there and improve on that during the week. See an improved product on the field against a lesser opponent. Nope. If we saw anything, it was regression.

There isn't a helluva lot to look forward to, honestly. Purdue may well have been the height of achievement for the 2019 Frogs. Nothing I saw Saturday augurs contrary to that. And, judging by the "improvement" made by a week of practices from 9-14 to 9-21, one wonders just how appalling the opening minutes will be against Kansas given another week of such "improvement."

Dark and Stormy. Make it a double...

Bob

"Like Sonny said after the SMU game, he, Sonny, needs to do a better job at the beginning of games getting Duggan into a completion rhythm. "

That's the ticket. We need more 2 yard horizontal passes and bubble screens to start the games. Nobody would anticipate that from its always Sunny in Cumbieland.

Bob Sugar

OSU was not even the best team in 2014 and should have been playing against Baylor in the Cotton Bowl.

source.gif

Mean Purple

i think this will be easy to fix.
Hand the ball to DA when inside our own 30.
Do not call wild hogs on 4th down.
When 3rd and short, run the ball. (Forward/up field. yeah, I know this seems evident, but ...)
When 4th and 1. Kick or run the ball (forward/up field)
Try to run on 1st down or give the qb (Duggan or Delton or Collins) a short pass to complete. Even a screen. Just don't do it shortside boundary..
Up tempo.
The biggest deal is don't get cute in the red zone and 4th and 1 or even 3rd and 3ish. If Sonny remembers that, he will be torching defenses and we win out.

Really all there is to it.
oh ... and scheiss kansas.

Wexahu

"Like Sonny said after the SMU game, he, Sonny, needs to do a better job at the beginning of games getting Duggan into a completion rhythm. "

That's the ticket. We need more 2 yard horizontal passes and bubble screens to start the games. Nobody would anticipate that from its always Sunny in Cumbieland.

We tried a horizontal pass on the first play of the game. Duggan bounced it about halfway there.