• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Wexahu

My daughter was HS friends with Fran's daughter and kept in touch a few years. She said her parents hated Alabama. Said people would park in front of their house all night to get a glimps of coach. Said her mother was constatly accosted in the grocery store.
Don't feel sorry for them (incl Saban). That is the price of fame...
And that’s when they weren’t even any good.

PurpleBlood87

My daughter was HS friends with Fran's daughter and kept in touch a few years. She said her parents hated Alabama. Said people would park in front of their house all night to get a glimps of coach. Said her mother was constatly accosted in the grocery store.

Well now she can use curbside pick up at Walmart.

FrogUltimate

An advantage of coaching somewhere like TCU in a big city instead of a college town. Little easier to blend in at the west 7th Target or Central Market without every single person knowing who you are. Not the wealthiest person at the store/restaurant/etc also.

Moose Stuff

An advantage of coaching somewhere like TCU in a big city instead of a college town. Little easier to blend in at the west 7th Target or Central Market without every single person knowing who you are. Not the wealthiest person at the store/restaurant/etc also.
I’ve always thought that TCU offered a level of anonymity combined with a fairly low pressure atmosphere that would really appeal to certain coaches.

westoverhillbilly

I’ve always thought that TCU offered a level of anonymity combined with a fairly low pressure atmosphere that would really appeal to certain coaches.

In previous years, this would be one of the top jobs available but as others have previously posted, the Big12 being gutted along with blue bloods like Fla, LSU, USC, WA and others also in need of coaches has made this year different. But, a coach getting autonomy to run his program here and being in a great city versus an outpost make this a place that is deemed special as stated by Patterson and Sullivan (who came from redneckville). Whatever Fran said was very discountable as he and wife Kim always said "we're home" wherever they went in a very phony way.

Very good point.

Like the time I ran into Schloss at the rodeo and was helping him find his way to the backstage club and a random group of TCU kids stopped him to ask if he would take their picture. Not take a picture WITH him but OF them. He shrugged it off and I said almost the same thing you just said.

Even when you see GP around town people just let him be. Saw him at University car wash several times. I just walked by and said "hey coach" once and that was all I ever saw people talk to him. Hell, the dude used to walk to Buffalo Bros and back for lunch.

Taking it even further, I've seen Pat Green at Home Depot twice and I was the only one who talked to him. Didn't even notice him until he said excuse me as he walked in front of me.

I think Sonny would fit in just fine here. Dude could probably walk into Kroger with a whistle, clip board and a pullover that said Coach Dykes on the left breast and no one would bother him, much less know who he is.

Take a lot for us to be impressed here in the Fort.

And my wife wants to move to Waxahachie where the high school coach can't even go pump his own gas.

In previous years, this would be one of the top jobs available but as others have previously posted, the Big12 being gutted along with blue bloods like Fla, LSU, USC, WA and others also in need of coaches has made this year different. But, a coach getting autonomy to run his program here and being in a great city versus an outpost make this a place that is deemed special as stated by Patterson and Sullivan (who came from redneckville). Whatever Fran said was very discountable as he and wife Kim always said "we're home" wherever they went in a very phony way.

I would think the OUT departure and what's
coming in would make it more attractive. With the elimination of the round Robin conf schedule the conference will automatically have more bowl eligible teams. Hell, this year could have been an 8-4 season or 7-5 at the least under a 12-team format. Give it a couple years and there will be no doubt it will be better than P12 and probably on par with the ACC. Without OUT dictating every move of the conference the blueprint is there to build the top dog. OSU is certainly the leader in the clubhouse but FW and TCU have more to offer in the long run.

What looks like a solid basehit up the middle could turn into hitting for the cycle by the end of the game. Let's get the Sonny train going.

CountryFrog

Very good point.

Like the time I ran into Schloss at the rodeo and was helping him find his way to the backstage club and a random group of TCU kids stopped him to ask if he would take their picture. Not take a picture WITH him but OF them. He shrugged it off and I said almost the same thing you just said.

Even when you see GP around town people just let him be. Saw him at University car wash several times. I just walked by and said "hey coach" once and that was all I ever saw people talk to him. Hell, the dude used to walk to Buffalo Bros and back for lunch.

Taking it even further, I've seen Pat Green at Home Depot twice and I was the only one who talked to him. Didn't even notice him until he said excuse me as he walked in front of me.

I think Sonny would fit in just fine here. Dude could probably walk into Kroger with a whistle, clip board and a pullover that said Coach Dykes on the left breast and no one would bother him, much less know who he is.

Take a lot for us to be impressed here in the Fort.

And my wife wants to move to Waxahachie where the high school coach can't even go pump his own gas.
The best thing about Waxahachie is that they have a nice Long John's/A&W

Eight

Reality is you can count up the number of head coaches who have won 10 games in a year in D1 football in the last 20 years pretty quick. Put that number on top of the total number of D1 head coaches in the last 20 years and you’ll see that the odds of finding that guy is a beating no matter what format you use to identify the guy who can get that done. That’s what you’re up against when hiring to win big. It’s a losers game and luck and circumstances play a hell of a big factor in it all.

you and others on here keeping talking about hiring to win 'Big" and talk about winning 10 games etc..... but very few were upset with gary for not winning 10 games

there were other issues around the program and the direction it was head and if there were going to be double digits in the win-loss totals it wasn't trending towards the wins side

Sangria Wine

you and others on here keeping talking about hiring to win 'Big" and talk about winning 10 games etc..... but very few were upset with gary for not winning 10 games

there were other issues around the program and the direction it was head and if there were going to be double digits in the win-loss totals it wasn't trending towards the wins side
I can’t imagine any serious person actually believed we would ever lose 10 games in a year with Gary Patterson coaching us. Again, familiarity bred contempt so his nuances grew from annoying to reasons for termination and the opportunity was too good for some to pass up when we had a few off years in a row. TCU admin and apparently some key boosters had a “midlife crisis” and decided to take their show on the road to find that greener grass. So now TCU will pay GP very well not to coach for them while paying SD something in the $4 million range and hope like hell it all works out. If it doesn’t they’ll start the cycle over again. Wake me up when TCU football wins 10 games again…

Eight

I can’t imagine any serious person actually believed we would ever lose 10 games in a year with Gary Patterson coaching us. Again, familiarity bred contempt so his nuances grew from annoying to reasons for termination and the opportunity was too good for some to pass up when we had a few off years in a row. TCU admin and apparently some key boosters had a “midlife crisis” and decided to take their show on the road to find that greener grass. So now TCU will pay GP very well not to coach for them while paying SD something in the $4 million range and hope like hell it all works out. If it doesn’t they’ll start the cycle over again. Wake me up when TCU football wins 10 games again…

yes, because a gary patterson coached team has never gotten close to 10 losses in a season, like i don't know, 2013 when the frogs dropped 8 games

now after 2013 he made big changes in his staff on the side of the all that was struggling the most and this might not be a serious questions what big changes in his coaching staff was gary wiling to make after this year or was that why he quit?

Moose Stuff

I can help you out with one thing…. We were NEVER winning 10 games again with Gary Patterson as our HC. And when we do win 10 games again I think we’ll all just let you sleep.

Horned Toad

I can help you out with one thing…. We were NEVER winning 10 games again with Gary Patterson as our HC. And when we do win 10 games again I think we’ll all just let you sleep.
Moose, I respect you a lot but that’s a statement that’s unprovable. I understand trends, but we’ll never know if GP couldn’t have reversed things like he did in 2014. I’m not saying he would have, but we’ll never know.