• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

gofor2

Reminds me of one of Curly's classic lines from the Three Stooges: "Are you married or are you happy?"
That's funny. I was asked the "why" question a lot because I didn't get married until I was 30. My responses are usually some variation of self loathing or sarcasm. "No one deserves to be happy their entire life", "I'm a masochist" and "my mom always said I did things the hard way".

Last edited:

Sangria Wine

Let's do 9 wins or greater. I would guess that each conference has at least 1 10-win and 1 9-win team on average, each season. Some years there are 2 10-win teams, or 2 9-win teams or some combination thereof.
That means that on the low average, 22 teams in the FBS hit the 9-win mark (or greater) each year. That comes out to about 17-18%.
Did a small portion of my own research in regards to the sanctity of the 10+ win season being the true measuring stick of the great programs/teams/coaches each year in this era:

**2020 - 7 (Omit due to rampant COVID anomalies around the country)

10-Year Review:
2019 - 22
2018 - 20
2017 - 21 (TCU #9 / 11-3)
2016 - 18
2015 - 22 (TCU #7 / 11-2)
2014 - 19 (TCU #3 / 12-1)
2013 - 20
2012 - 21
2011 - 23 (TCU #14 / 11-2)
2010 - 21 (TCU #2 / 13-0)

Notes:
  • 10 year average 20.7 teams with 10+ wins
  • Obviously a repeating cast of characters make up many of these 207 total teams/coaches with a 10+ win season during that decade stretch.
  • Assume 120 eligible D1 teams each year for 1,200 possibilities.
  • That would mean 17.25% of all D1 schedules resulted in the team winning 10+ games over the 10-year stretch.
  • Around 20 programs make up +\- 75% of those 10+ win seasons meaning among all the rest it’s more like 5% of all other D1 programs making it to 10 wins any given season.
  • I’m glad that I don’t have to pick a coach to take over a program and have my life on the line for the guy to win 10+ games even once, much less on repeat.
  • Don’t tell me that looking at that chart doesn’t make you at least a little bit nauseous if you love TCU football.
  • Coach Dykes…hope you’ve got your selling shoes on to close out recruiting and have a hell of a staff right out of the gate because the leash may be shorter than anybody imagines for yourself and the folks that engineered this one if things don’t go as planned.

gofor2

• I’m glad that I don’t have to pick a coach to take over a program and have my life on the line for the guy to win 10+ games even once, much less on repeat.
With the money that has flooded the sport, its definitely taking some of the fun out of things. It's gotta suck to be at a G5 school, knowing that if you strike gold on a great coach - he is gone. Shoot, you can be at a middling P5 school and lose your coach to one of the big revenue makers. Maybe it has always been this way, but I feel that its more pronounced now. Maybe I'm just getting older and disillusioned with the machinations behind the curtain.

Endless Purple

He’s below .500 at Wyoming and 27-34 in the MWC. So mediocre coach, right?

I’d say he’s not a mediocre coach. He just coaches somewhere where it’s not easy to

I asked what is success. He said one winning season. Bohls had several.

Wyoming is not P5

Klieman had an 8-5 at KSU though, and 7-4 currently.

I never specified anything about P5, just said FBS, that is other people changing the guidelines of what I said to make themselves feel stronger. I don't know if any coach has even gone FCS to P5 which means no one knows if they can succeed. Does not mean they will fail. There are many cases of coaches going from very good schools to very bad schools and not succeeding - that is true even among same level of classification.

Not worth my time to continue to try to meet a moving target on minor points. When I have free time, I will research the past FCs to FBS coaches.

CountryFrog

I never specified anything about P5, just said FBS, that is other people changing the guidelines of what I said to make themselves feel stronger. I don't know if any coach has even gone FCS to P5 which means no one knows if they can succeed. Does not mean they will fail. There are many cases of coaches going from very good schools to very bad schools and not succeeding - that is true even among same level of classification.

Not worth my time to continue to try to meet a moving target on minor points. When I have free time, I will research the past FCs to FBS coaches.
You don't have to do anything at all if you don't want to. But you're the one who said that "many" have made the move up well from FCS. All I asked is for you to show your work. You can choose to not do that.

And I don't know why insisting on P5 coaches is a "moving target." This is all related to the TCU coaching search. TCU is in the Big 12. The Big 12 is a P5 conference. I have no idea why coaches at G5 schools would be relevant at all to the conversation.

froginmn

I literally gave you one who went from FCS to P5 and had winning seasons. Chris Klieman.

HToady

Saban actually DESPISES the Bama T-shirt fans.

And with good reason, that fan base has a higher percentage of trash than almost any other.
My daughter was HS friends with Fran's daughter and kept in touch a few years. She said her parents hated Alabama. Said people would park in front of their house all night to get a glimps of coach. Said her mother was constatly accosted in the grocery store.
Don't feel sorry for them (incl Saban). That is the price of fame...