• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

TAINTed frog

Reality is you can count up the number of head coaches who have won 10 games in a year in D1 football in the last 20 years pretty quick. Put that number on top of the total number of D1 head coaches in the last 20 years and you’ll see that the odds of finding that guy is a beating no matter what format you use to identify the guy who can get that done. That’s what you’re up against when hiring to win big. It’s a losers game and luck and circumstances play a hell of a big factor in it all.
Then Gary will have a job in no time at one of the bigger openings, I presume.

I’ll wish him nothing but the best and will cheer for that school as long as we’re not playing them.

JugbandFrog

I’ll wish him nothing but the best and will cheer for that school as long as we’re not playing them.
I would LOVE to see him at USC. I havr always believed that if he were at a Blue Blood, he’d win a natty. Plus, I also believe he learned a lot about himself the last 4 years and this was the slap in the face he needed.

Sangria Wine

Depends on how tainted he is from the dismissal process here and that entails along with of course what he wants to do next. That wasn’t my angle though…the point is that replacing coaches is a hell of a losers bet. More similar to picking the exact number at roulette versus picking red or black.

Sangria Wine

I would LOVE to see him at USC. I havr always believed that if he were at a Blue Blood, he’d win a natty. Plus, I also believe he learned a lot about himself the last 4 years and this was the slap in the face he needed.
I feel like they might have just made him the underdog again. He seems to relish that position more than others.

JugbandFrog

Depends on how tainted he is from the dismissal process here and that entails along with of course what he wants to do next. That wasn’t my angle though…the point is that replacing coaches is a hell of a losers bet. More similar to picking the exact number at roulette versus picking red or black.
As a friend of mine who has multiple ex-wives, who refuses to get married agains says: “It’s cheaper to keep her.”

Sangria Wine

As a friend of mine who has multiple ex-wives, who refuses to get married agains says: “It’s cheaper to keep her.”
I’ve kept many a weak employee over the years. It’s the devil that you know. Hard to find an employee that’s more than 80% of what you’d like. Fire them and hire another and get a different 80% done well and a new 20% done poorly. Or work around the 20% that you know and find a way to succeed. That’s my style with those who report to me over the years and it’s worked well. I’ve known plenty of coaches with the same approach to their staff that have been quite successful. I think it translates between business and sports pretty well. People are too quick to throw away and start over. I’d rather coach them up, adjust the cogs a bit and find a way to make it work well.

Endless Purple

Any success whatsoever. I'll accept a single winning season as success.

And again I'm talking directly from FCS to P5 head coach. No G5 schools, and no in between time as an assistant.
If that is it: Without going into research, off the top of my head, Bohls at Wyoming came from ND St. So I looked up his record at Wyoming. He is in his 8th season and only has 3 losing seasons.

Wexahu

If that is it: Without going into research, off the top of my head, Bohls at Wyoming came from ND St. So I looked up his record at Wyoming. He is in his 8th season and only has 3 losing seasons.
He’s below .500 at Wyoming and 27-34 in the MWC. So mediocre coach, right?

I’d say he’s not a mediocre coach. He just coaches somewhere where it’s not easy to win.

gofor2

Reality is you can count up the number of head coaches who have won 10 games in a year in D1 football in the last 20 years pretty quick. Put that number on top of the total number of D1 head coaches in the last 20 years and you’ll see that the odds of finding that guy is a beating
Let's do 9 wins or greater. I would guess that each conference has at least 1 10-win and 1 9-win team on average, each season. Some years there are 2 10-win teams, or 2 9-win teams or some combination thereof.
That means that on the low average, 22 teams in the FBS hit the 9-win mark (or greater) each year. That comes out to about 17-18%.

Last edited: