• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

asleep003

Are they not the least bit concerned they settled on a career .500 coach (over 130 games), who is 5-22 against top 25 teams, has a losing record against teams over .500, has one conference championship to his name a decade ago, and consistently fields defenses rankled in the bottom 25% of all D1 programs?

Not trying to flame, those are the numbers, and it's a legit question. I'm just wondering what the mindset was inside the "bunker" when they decided to go this route?
Don't know why you're lurking around here. Only need to look at the SMU results(win% .659) Sonny brought to a pretty wimpy program. The win% for previous 7 coaches was .389/.100/.456/.257/.393/.250./.136... Believe Sonny has finally/actually resurrected this program after 35 years in a very short period of time. Not too many coaches have achieved what he has done in Dallas in 3 years.

Are they not the least bit concerned they settled on a career .500 coach (over 130 games), who is 5-22 against top 25 teams, has a losing record against teams over .500, has one conference championship to his name a decade ago, and consistently fields defenses rankled in the bottom 25% of all D1 programs?

Not trying to flame, those are the numbers, and it's a legit question. I'm just wondering what the mindset was inside the "bunker" when they decided to go this route?
The “mindset in the bunker” was that things had gotten really bad with GP and we had to make a move, and in tipping that domino over we knew our future was even further out of our control than before. At the end of the day, literally nobody knows how good or bad a hire will be, but the professionals in college athletics and football feel good about Sonny and all he will bring to TCU vs the course we were on. Time will tell where that path will lead.

wilson912

The “mindset in the bunker” was that things had gotten really bad with GP and we had to make a move, and in tipping that domino over we knew our future was even further out of our control than before. At the end of the day, literally nobody knows how good or bad a hire will be, but the professionals in college athletics and football feel good about Sonny and all he will bring to TCU vs the course we were on. Time will tell where that path will lead.
GSR , great posts on here, thank you. Do you think Sonny will consider Meach for any offense assistant role? Also , is Mark Tommerdahl a ST possibility? Last, does Kill take any of current staff to NMSU?

Last edited:

Much appreciated.

Paul in uhh

Another way to look at it: Sonny isn’t bringing a lot of his SMU staff because he’s confident he could build a better staff at TCU given the far superior resources and job platform it provides.

This also has the benefit of being true.
Money Balling GIF by IFHT Films

Paul in uhh

Too early to say (on all the above)
For anyone who finds GSR’s posts to be valuable..but don’t want to sort through and entire thread every day:

1) tap on his name
2) tap on “follow”
3) when you come to KF mobile tap on your avatar on the top toolbar, then tap “news feed” on the menu that appears

And poof, every post and like he(?) makes is tracked there

Endless Purple

I hope some of you negative nancies are able to enjoy the wins next year w/o being sad that Sonny is having success
I would bet that pretty much all of us that are not on the Dykes bandwagon would be happy to be wrong. However, our concern is 4 more years of .500 ball and having completely lost all the ground gained during the GP years through 2017.

I want a coach that has shown he can put together a winning program that could potentially compete for championships on a regular basis. I don't care if he does not have FBS HC experience.

Hemingway

I think we all need to evaluate today’s coaching hires by what are their numbers “post transfer portal rules” and subsequently NIL rules. Because it has changed everything from how we are recruiting and retaining players constantly. We watched it here over 3-4 years upend consistent 8-9 win a year coaching staff. They couldn’t evolve with the player management side of the business.
So if you want to look at Sonny through that lens it’s clear that he’s developed a better player management model then what we saw with GP. Now , I just hope he brings that back office with him to TCU.

Free agency is here, evolve or fade away.

CountryFrog

I would bet that pretty much all of us that are not on the Dykes bandwagon would be happy to be wrong. However, our concern is 4 more years of .500 ball and having completely lost all the ground gained during the GP years through 2017.

I want a coach that has shown he can put together a winning program that could potentially compete for championships on a regular basis. I don't care if he does not have FBS HC experience.
You want a coach who has shown that he can put together a winning program but don't care if he doesn't have HC experience?

mantikos

I know this is a bad question, but I will ask it nonetheless - what was the turning point and when did they start getting bad during GP's tenure, also, why did we wait long enough to where we are no longer in control and back in the passenger seat along for the ride