• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

82 Frog Fever

Why should anyone be excited about Dykes?

Euro 2020 GIF by UEFA
I‘ll never say I’m excited about Dykes. I do expect greatly improved QB play. The offense and play calling in general should be better without Gary’s thumb on it. I’m certainly not worried about him screwing up the defense.
Looking around at the coaches who will soon remain in the B12, plus the available backfill for Aranda/Campbell if they leave, Sonny will compete very well.

mantikos

I don't know, wasn't involved, but the Cigars were allegedly pushing for 2 to be interviewed but they were not interested and I suspect the other was Matt Campbell but that's just imo. It's neither here or there now because it's Dykes so let's run with it.
I haven't seen any mention of that on any of the boards - they were both interested but both wanted to wait till the end of the season and we wanted something signed sealed and delivered well before that - they stalled (hoping for something even bigger), and we said no thanks and moved on to a sure thing. If the BU HC position comes open, JD will end up looking like a genius for sticking to his guns on getting a signature early.

Virginia Frog

Not really. Half the games would be in TX anyhow, and not all PAC games are played late night. It’s a 2 hour time difference not 12. With all the complaining that goes on around here about morning games, a few late ones would be fine. At this point, it’s moot anyhow.
And a traveling two time zones east-to-west for games is not necessarily a disadvantage in respect to playing THAT game. The exception would be a later game (7:30PM, 9:30PM in FW, 10:30 on the east coast with an end time around 1AM Central time.)

But in those late night cases, the overnight fly-back and resulting sleep deficit could create a bit of the "time zone flu" for the NEXT game. We'd have to require (if we can or have the muscle to do so) that a Pac time zone trip be followed by a home game, a Central time zone game if away, or a bye week.

They could minimize the pain if we could load up on Arizona away games for Central Time teams be in mid-late Nov since they are effectively on Mountain Time - on hour difference- after we all change clocks backs every first Sun in November.

East Coast

Tier 1
Hyman would have messed up every hire that occurred under his watch if not for pressure from others. The guy pushed more misinformation out to Frogdom than you can imagine and this bird usually regurgitated it as facts they got from insiders. He wanted Tracy Smith when Schloss was hired and had his minions pushing false info out saying Schloss wasn’t sure he want the job, couldn’t make a decision quick enough, former baseball players preferred Smith, etc. Say what you want about JD, but we are definitely in a better place today than when EH was the AD.
Eric Hyman did a fantastic job putting a professional athletic department together, but he certainly had his faults. Arguably his judgement on coaching hires was his biggest weakness.

DeuceBoogieNights

A lot of you just can't get it through your head that NONE of the BIG names were interested in taking the TCU job. Art Briles - no way. Deion Sanders - an unproven head coach. The other names that are being thrown around - most didn't even want to interview. Only one proven HC that has shown the ability to work the transfer portal and recruit locally wanted the job.

Nobody knows how it will turn out, just like nobody knew how it would turn out when Gary was hired. Give the guy a chance to see what he can do and quit [ hundin] ing about it.

If I learned anything from this process, it's that the TCU job isn't as good of a job as most of us think/thought it was.

I hate this hire for many reasons. Biggest reason is our defense sucked and we hired an offense minded coach. Well life isn’t fair! Now that the decision is made I will support this Coach with all I have. If he fails our school fails. Get over it and support the Program I know I will.