• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

I think we need to change everything no leftovers. Complete change no regime brings in who they want. If they want some current staff great if not great. I don’t like any part of what our team has been doing the last five years.

flyfishingfrog

If it’s a done deal, IMO they need to go ahead and announce it so both SMU and TCU can move on however they see fit. No easy solutions, but if everyone knows it’s happened, not much sense in pretending it hasn’t.

They desperately need to get rid of ESD.
the people that need to know at both places already know - it is just not public

East Coast

Tier 1
A bowl game helps everyone. It is a reward for seniors and practice time for underclassmen. This move likely helps to transition to a new era along with keeping stability. This move almost feels like it has a little bit of a Gary Patterson influence to it. There are not a lot of great HC candidates available right now. There will be several good coordinators available along with position coaches.
If this somehow happens, we might be starting walkons at more than tight end.

Wexahu

actually there are a dozen reasons to not make it public during the course of the season - the only reason to actually make it public is to make "fans" happy
As long as the players know, I suppose it's fine to keep it from the public. There are probably reasons you wouldn't even let the players know too I guess.

Just seems like an unnecessary charade to me, but oh well.

FrogCoach84

Sonny was never my #1 choice and I have even felt like he's a guy you settle for when you strike out.

I am now starting to sell myself on the idea of it being the right hire. The #1 qualification for Sonny is that I really think he wants this job...bad. I see a guy who is going to truly bleed purple and I think that will play up to recruits and fanbase alike. I also have high hopes for his visions for this staff which is something I can't remember feeling about this program.

The BMD's and TCU in general are financially committed to this program and that commitment will give Sonny the ability to always be competitive in the staff hiring process. He has shown a decent knack at SMU for identifying coaching talent.

I know there are some warts that come with the Samples family but that hire was huge for SMU and even if it's not Samples, Dykes has shown an ability to see upside in coaches/recruiters.

I am excited to see the staff he puts together and watch them hit the ground running to try and rebuild this recruiting class on the fly and work the portal to fill the gaps. I haven't been pro-Sonny by any stretch but I am ready to get behind this new era and Sonny and hopeful he can make the changes needed to turn this thing around.

Opintel

Moderators
I'm getting depressed again.

Post something happy/entertaining...pics might be good.
Baby Monday GIF

Wexahu

Sonny was never my #1 choice and I have even felt like he's a guy you settle for when you strike out.

I am now starting to sell myself on the idea of it being the right hire. The #1 qualification for Sonny is that I really think he wants this job...bad. I see a guy who is going to truly bleed purple and I think that will play up to recruits and fanbase alike. I also have high hopes for his visions for this staff which is something I can't remember feeling about this program.

The BMD's and TCU in general are financially committed to this program and that commitment will give Sonny the ability to always be competitive in the staff hiring process. He has shown a decent knack at SMU for identifying coaching talent.

I know there are some warts that come with the Samples family but that hire was huge for SMU and even if it's not Samples, Dykes has shown an ability to see upside in coaches/recruiters.

I am excited to see the staff he puts together and watch them hit the ground running to try and rebuild this recruiting class on the fly and work the portal to fill the gaps. I haven't been pro-Sonny by any stretch but I am ready to get behind this new era and Sonny and hopeful he can make the changes needed to turn this thing around.
I don't know if it's his #1 qualification, but I do think this is part of the search that was somewhat underrated. And I've never met the guy so he may see this as just another stepping stone, I don't know. But there is a better than zero chance when he spent his year at TCU that he thought this is where I want to coach. And if that was the case, I don't know how that could be a bad thing. I think he knows he needs to prove some people wrong, and that is never a bad thing either.

He may turn out to be a total dud, but he also may surprise a lot of people. And you know what? A guy like Billy Napier might go to Florida or somewhere and flame out. Nobody knows. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.