• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

TRF51, there is no "agenda" from me.
My post encourages improved communication by TCU, to get ahead of and better manage the message.

We just tossed our legendary coach, and now message boards are claiming the next TCU coach is Sonny Dykes.
Is that effective change management by TCU?

Why did we toss LHCGMFP instead of working with him to make the needed changes?
How many candidates were interviewed?
What are some of the difficulties involved in selecting a new coach?
What are other facts and factors that can be publicly shared, to help people better understand and accept the change?

What is the status today of our coaching search?
If the contract has been signed, why not pull the bandaid and make the announcement?
Every moment that this "deal is done with no public announcement" allows twitter, Facebook, etc... to control the message.

Don't shoot the messenger, make the needed adjustments to improve the outcome for TCU.
The idea that TCU needs to announce this ASAP to get out in front of the Facebook reaction is one of the most hysterically absurd things I’ve ever seen on a TCU forum. Right up there with the guy who wanted to hire Deion and market him as the Black Panther.

It's a solid hire! Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. Right now there are several jobs open that are better than TCU. LSU and USC still don't have a coach. UF just opened. There is a good chance other jobs will open soon. That paired with the fact there aren't many great candidates is an issue. I know a lot of people are pointing to Dykes record over the last few weeks. It reminds me of countless teams that fail to produce for a coach they think is leaving.

I believe Dykes is the best candidate to turn this thing around quickly. He is familiar with the program, and he can work as a bridge between Patterson and the program moving forward. If TCU can knock off ISU this week that gives the team a few extra weeks of practice and evaluation. Dykes probably won't coach that game, but you bet he will be involved.

This isn't the homerun hire, but it is a good one. Some of you would be upset if we hired Nick Saban. We could be looking for a new coach in a few years. One issue is that means Dykes has overproduced and is winning. The other option is that both Donati and Dykes failed. That probably means we have an opportunity to find someone better. Right now the key is stability.

After UO's loss last week I think the Pac is going to start looking to find something to help its cause. It needs some schools to improve, but it also needs viewers. That also holds true for basketball. There were reports that TCU and UH were close a few months ago, but I have a feeling that is about to change. While others may point to the losses don't lose sight of the fact that both have major airports within 30 miles. It sure is nice when a team can fly commercial rather than charter. Nobody wants there plane tipping over like USC had happen to it.
To keep current players, getting to a bowl game this year is critical, IMO. Dykes and his staff will be able to directly engage with them while they are preparing for a bowl. No bowl means our guys scatter for several weeks and get bombarded with bad advice and opinions over the holidays.

PurpleBlood87

To keep current players, getting to a bowl game this year is critical, IMO. Dykes and his staff will be able to directly engage with them while they are preparing for a bowl. No bowl means our guys scatter for several weeks and get bombarded with bad advice and opinions over the holidays.

Is there recruiting dead period anymore during the holidays? Or are things wide open all the time?

Tshirt Fan

The idea that TCU needs to announce this ASAP to get out in front of the Facebook reaction is one of the most hysterically absurd things I’ve ever seen on a TCU forum. Right up there with the guy who wanted to hire Deion and market him as the Black Panther.
Aaaaand you're wrong. You misframed this opportunity and you couldn't possibly be more incorrect.

y2kFrog

Some guys are going to leave. We really can’t get caught up in that too much. It’s not like anybody is so good it would negatively affect us more than a little. Sure there are players I would like to stay around, but it’s the price of making this decision. I do think making a bowl game would help make the transition get going quicker though.

Frog Brother

At this point I am fine with Sonny Dykes. They man is about to turn in an 8 win season (perhaps 9 wins but his team may be disheartened with him at this point). Two of his losses were very close and could have gone SMU's way. The blowout is to a very special team in Cincinnati. He will do well at TCU if typical 8 win seasons are considered good.

What I don't know if we will see any more is the kind of performances that TCU under LHCGP could dial up against seemingly superior teams in bowl games in particular. If Dykes can improve OL and QB play at TCU with the kind of talent we have been getting it should be a whole lot of fun going to TCU games again.

I wanted Napier but I am still optimistic with Sonny Dykes.

Moose Stuff

Aaaaand you're wrong. You misframed this opportunity and you couldn't possibly be more incorrect.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Moose Stuff

I don’t think there’s any correlation between a bowl game and keeping current players. Assemble the right staff (and I’m optimistic about that) and most of the kids you want to stay will stay.

I don’t think there’s any correlation between a bowl game and keeping current players. Assemble the right staff (and I’m optimistic about that) and most of the kids you want to stay will stay.
Fair enough. Just seems like coaches would have a lot more influence when they are right there with them on a field or in the locker room than they would trying to track them down on the phone over the holidays.