• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Tony Lema

Ticket Exchange Pass
With loss of recruits so far, and possibly more to come, Dykes will have to bring his best recruiters/coaches with him and mix a few of TCU‘s in with them. But the key is something he is already familiar with and that’s the transfer portal. He has already shown he is good at that, and I think it would be easier to get those that want to play in a P5 school.

Napier would be a good hire, but if he isn’t exhibiting any more interest than what has been shown so far, screw him and hire Dykes next week.

Chongo94

Bored Meh GIF

mantikos

This just now on the text machine:

"Convincing somebody to be the first guy after Gary is proving tough... Harder than maybe thought"

Take that to mean whatever you think it means. I just take it at face value.

That makes sense - given the latest tweet saying the coach at ULL is a slippery one, I am guessing we were led along and then he ditched us at the altar. @#%!$!@

We'll settle for what I personally believe to be a middling choice.

Eight

If I were another school with an opening I would take Patterson over almost all those I keep hearing that are available. The past few years have not been very successful but he had many years that were. If you did it before you obviously know how to do it again compared to those who have never done much of anything. Patterson isn’t perfect but he knows football. He will get job offers, will he accept them is the only question. I hope he has success whichever he chooses.

last six years he won 60% of his games overall and had a losing conference record.

pull out the 2017 season when sonny dykyes was an "offensive analyst" and things are really ugly in 5 of those 6 years.

if it were merely a matter of picking out 5 of the worst years in gary's 20 years at tcu i could see the interest in him, but when those 5 years are basically stacked on top of each other at the end of his run and the side of the ball he directly oversees has been sliding badly to the point of implosion

might be time to take a bit of time to regroup

Last edited:
Never considered that could be an issue.
I have read it is similar to a divorce ... both parties fought and fought but ultimately divorced for greener pastures but to find that ... it did not exist (at least not in the form the parties grew into) ... and to find the fighting was ultimately because the parties loved each other.

I am not poetic (I did my best) but I can see a little of that here. It is incredibly difficult.

Pharm Frog

This just now on the text machine:

"Convincing somebody to be the first guy after Gary is proving tough... Harder than maybe thought"

Take that to mean whatever you think it means. I just take it at face value.

I take it at face value as well. Gary leaves this program in a protracted state of decline where almost nothing is functioning as an engine for winning football. I wouldn’t want to come in there first either.

Eight

Totally agree that GP has not done a good job in the last several years...still the best coach we are going to get and still the only reason TCU is on the map. Like I said before, if he hadn't stayed and built this program and school up we would be nothing more than a rich North Texas.

still don't get your point. are you saying gary should have been allowed to burn down what he built because that was the direction of the program

are you saying people don't recognize what he did for the school and the program because if that is the case you are wrong

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have read it is similar to a divorce ... both parties fought and fought but ultimately divorced for greener pastures but to find that ... it did not exist (at least not in the form the parties grew into) ... and to find the fighting was ultimately because the parties loved each other.

I am not poetic (I did my best) but I can see a little of that here. It is incredibly difficult.
See: War of the Roses (1989) "There is no winning in a divorce. Only degrees of losing."

froglash88

I just have a bad feeling that we won’t have the new coach in place before the early signing period. So we lose most/all of our recruits, fire a legend, and whoever is hired is left scrambling to put a class together. Maybe the transfer portal cures all. Who knows?